Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Lifted

Default Hello Rising Sun

Just thought I'd better introduce myself since I'll be posting on the board. I'd also like to make it to a meeting soon but it would be a lot more fun if I drove my FJ40 to the meeting. Here's a little background on my Cruiser for now. Back in September of last year I purchased a 1972 FJ40 as a long-term project from someone who lived west of Denver around Ken-Carl canyon for $900. The previous owner said he had been using the vehicle to plow snow from his driveway for the past four or five years and killed it in the process in the spring of 2005 -- the engine actually has holes in the side of the block and oil pan with connecting rods poking through in multiple locations. As history he said he had purchased the vehicle from a friend who had bought it new at Stevinson Toyota. The engine was rebuilt around 1981 with about 160k on it. The PO told me a couple of brothers who had a small shop took it home and did the rebuild. They also did all the maintenance work on it and now have a larger shop out on Colfax east of I-225. [Anyone know which shop it could be? Doesn’t really matter but might be a source for more history.] As part of the package, I got an extra F block and two cylinder heads - just bits and pieces really. At this point, my plan is to just get the old cruiser running again and have some fun driving it while I slowly bring it back to life. Not wanting to do a complete rebuild of an F block, I just purchased a supposedly running ’75 2F for $500. So far, I've just started cleaning up the 2F and researching parts. Hope to make a meeting soon.

Kent

Here are a few photos of the project

Old 03-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

That's a nice looking project you have. Welcome to the forum. While its nice to drive your rig to the meetings, don't let that stop you from being there before the Cruiser is driveable.

Bruce
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanoort View Post
The PO told me a couple of brothers who had a small shop took it home and did the rebuild. They also did all the maintenance work on it and now have a larger shop out on Colfax east of I-225. [Anyone know which shop it could be? Doesn’t really matter but might be a source for more history.]
Could be Off Road LTD.

You should come to meet the club, whether on a run or at a meeting -- don't let the fact that your Cruiser is in the garage stop you! Welcome!
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.