Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Experience/comments with "Toy Doctor"?

Ok...So as much as I want to wrench on my own rig I'm running out of time, and oil changes, diff fluid changes, etc. isn't rocket science so I don't think I'll miss out on anything here

Have this place called Toy Doctor near me that has a special going on to change out the front and rear diffs, Tcase (assume center diff would apply here), and AT fluid (exhange not flush ) for $189. Seems reasonable as their reg cost is $310 . I figure the fluids alone would probably cost me upwards of $100 then a full day of my time (yeah, I'm REAL slow) so for $189

Has anyone out there had good, bad, or indifferent experiences with Toy Doctor? I haven't called them to see what fluids they use or if they'll let me buy my own and just charge labor. But, this way I'm sure it will get done as I can drop the LX off on my way into work and pick it later that day
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Decent. I'd do it.
If they don't use the B-G flushing machine on the AT, it is hardly worth it though. Flush that baby. Your tranny will thank you 50K miles from now.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bill,

Most posts I've read on 80 series PM is that the AT fluid "exchange" (using the AT's pump) is better for the rig than a flush. Maybe I have confused myself
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 03-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Don't flush!!! Jeff the posts you've read about 80 trannies are all true, not worth the risk IMO, let those little tranny bits stay in their happy little places.

What I'd recommend is exchange the ATF, then every oil change from now on do the 4 quart drop & swap. good to go, forever.

and no experience with Toy Doctor, sorry. But 10 quarts of gear oil is like $90, and 14 quarts of ATF is probably $60, with tax. Obviously depends on what you put in there...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Don't flush!!! Jeff the posts you've read about 80 trannies are all true, not worth the risk IMO, let those little tranny bits stay in their happy little places.

What I'd recommend is exchange the ATF, then every oil change from now on do the 4 quart drop & swap. good to go, forever.

and no experience with Toy Doctor, sorry. But 10 quarts of gear oil is like $90, and 14 quarts of ATF is probably $60, with tax. Obviously depends on what you put in there...

x2 DON'T FLUSH, YOU'LL THANK YOURSELF LATER WHEN YOUR NOT BUYING A TRANS.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ben, do you do the fluid exchange? Robbie did it for me right after I got my 80 about 18 months ago. Said I should do it again.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Ben, do you do the fluid exchange? Robbie did it for me right after I got my 80 about 18 months ago. Said I should do it again.

I can do it, depending on what the fluid looks like you might just need a drain and fill. Every 15k is usually good for drain and fill to keep it nice and red/pink. So every 3rd or 4th oil change.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

What's the difference between the flush and the exchange? Do both completely replace all of the fluid? I think I need to do this.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks all for the input as always

I'll wait until later this week to decide on Toy Doctor just in case someone posts up a bad experience. If not I'll be the guinea pig for those of us with that just can't seem to find a spare moment to work on our own rigs (and lack of know how on my part as well) and see how Toy Doctor goes. A guy I work with had the muffler replaced on his '99 ES300 and was pleased with the work but who knows.

The 'coupon' is good thru 4/30/07 if anyone else is interested. I'll also verify what fluids they use.

P.S. Tim...Quick question. How do you know when you've drained off 4 qts from the AT? Is it an eyeball/experience thing? I've got an oil pan but I'd be at a loss to know when 4 qts have drained out
TLCA #17037

:

Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

With my limited knowledge, the "flush" uses detergents to "clean" the transmission which can be harmful to the seals, etc. and eventually ruin your transmission.

Draining fluid out of the transmission via the drain plug does not completely drain it. I think all you get out is 4 qts. There is still quite a bit of fluid left in it. But evidently, doing this every 15k miles or so is enough to keep the transmission fluid clean enough. The exchange actually pumps probably twice the capacity of the transmission's worth of fluid through in order to end up with completely clean fluid. Kind of like Keith Richards getting a complete blood transfusion to remove all traces of illegal drugs from his body.

When I bought my 80 the fluid was kind of brownish, which is bad. I think that's why Robbie recommended another complete exchange after a year or so.

I'll defer to Ben for the completely technically correct answers.