Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Flush - outside pump pushes fluid throughout trans and out through cooler lines. Dont' necessarily use detergents or chemicals. Essentially two pumps are running at the same time. May put pressure where it isn't normally.

Exchange - uses transmission pump (the one that provides fluid pressure for operation) to push fluid out of cooler lines.

Drain and fill - pull trans drain plug and drain fluid out of pan (approx 3.5-4 qts) and refill.

Example of why seals don't like to do anything than be normal. It is a brake system buy none the less same principal. RX's suck the fluid out of each caliper using a vacula (air operated vacuum device for exchanging brake fluid) Almost guaranteed to blow (suck) the seal at the end of the master cyl, usually requires replacement of master cyl and brake booster (full of brake fluid). Same method but rather than powering up the vacula just use it as a catch basin and pump the brake pedal while opening and closing the bleeder valve - normal bleeding procedure. Seals stay intact and nothing is damaged.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

My son reports numerous cases of BG-flushed vehicles with over 300K miles and original trannies...

My Taco is running strong after same a couple years ago.

I've never been disappointed with BG products.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well my argument against has always been not wanting to dislodge any little particle that was sitting in a happy little corner somewhere. I never considered the seals, but this won't be the last time I learn something from LexiBen now is it..

But you know about 4 qts drain out when the stuff stops dripping out of the pan. If you raise the right-front it will be a little more, also if you wait a while (like hours) it will be a little more... the rest of your ATF stays up in the torque converter.

Then to fill you just shove a funnel in the dipstick hole, and slowly add back the ATF. I usually stop at around 3.5 qts to check it but end up right at 4. My brother's 4Runner takes 4.5.. and I do this at every oil change. To get really geeky, Raven created a spreadsheet that predicts what % of ATF is new with every 4 quart swap, I'm sure you can find it if you look. Easier, IMO, to just start fresh, then keep it fresh. At only 2 OCI's per year I think the added cost is well worth it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
But you know about 4 qts drain out when the stuff stops dripping out of the pan. If you raise the right-front it will be a little more, also if you wait a while (like hours) it will be a little more... the rest of your ATF stays up in the torque converter.

Then to fill you just shove a funnel in the dipstick hole, and slowly add back the ATF. I usually stop at around 3.5 qts to check it but end up right at 4. My brother's 4Runner takes 4.5.. and I do this at every oil change. To get really geeky, Raven created a spreadsheet that predicts what % of ATF is new with every 4 quart swap, I'm sure you can find it if you look. Easier, IMO, to just start fresh, then keep it fresh. At only 2 OCI's per year I think the added cost is well worth it.
Excellent. It is real world experience like this you don't find in the FSM or owner's manual . I've seen that spreadsheet as well and also agree it is easier to start with all new, expecially on a rig with pretty much zero known history.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

unless time is an issue do it yourself. I'll drop by for an hour if you need a hand or supervision. Git'er Done
TLCA#4180
Old 03-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

I did the fluid exchange on the tranny at Toy Car care for $99. The flush is not not good for 80 trannies.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm. Didn't know 80 trannies were weak. Wouldn't have expected it.

KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Hmmm. Didn't know 80 trannies were weak. Wouldn't have expected it.

It has something about too much foam on the Latte!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
unless time is an issue do it yourself. I'll drop by for an hour if you need a hand or supervision. Git'er Done
Time is the issue for sure...Both 's doing the soccer thing, wife going out of town, ...

And I'm slow...Not mentally, I just tend to get really anal about the work which slows the process. Ask the wife how long it takes me just to hang a picture . Get out the tape measure, hammer, nails, level, pencil, etc. etc., get it all measured out and lined up, measure a few more times

I want to spend what little time I have getting what mods I can afford installed and ready. I imagine the oil change and diffs are pull the plugs, drain, put plugs back in, refill. Easy but then you have to fartz around with getting rid of the oil...The AT fluid exchange is more involved from what I read but doable.

Realistically though it is hard for me to find a solid hour to work on stuff right now let alone a full day . Based on Tim's estimate of the fluids cost it doesn't seem like the Toy Doctor is making much on the deal so maybe there is a 'catch'...Need to call them and make sure it isn't one of those deals where the coupon applies to "most vehicles" but not mine type of thing.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Have this place called Toy Doctor near me that has a special going on...
Is this the place on Parker? If it is, or is connected in any way, do not even think about using them.