Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

OK, if you're gonna slam a vendor, you have to give specifics...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
OK, if you're gonna slam a vendor, you have to give specifics...
Agreed!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cruiser View Post
Is this the place on Parker? If it is, or is connected in any way, do not even think about using them.
From what I can tell there are two locations. One at 1370 S Parker Rd and the other at 8061 S Broadway (the one I would use). Not sure if they are owned by the same person or not but they are definitely affliated with one another.

So, what are the specifics behind why you wouldn't consider using them?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

If it's Toy Doctor on Parker in Aurora I'm happy to provide details based on my experience. If it's another location this doesn't apply.

I brought my 1999 Avalon with 180K miles to the Parker location a few years ago. I had a bad axle that was leaking fluid. Their estimate for repairs was written in pencil on a piece of paper from a pad, not an invoice or anything resembling one. They said in addition to the axle I needed a new power steering unit, high pressure hose and all new belts. They also "evaluated" my transmission while they had it on the lift. They determined it was failing and needed replacing. The estimate was between $3000.00 - $4000.00 for repairs. They offered 10% discount in exchange for using their license plate frame.

I went elsewhere and spent under $200.00 for everything needed and drove the car for years w/o any issues at all.

If this is inappropriate delete it. If you feel it's simply answering an inquiry leave it.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Thanks for the details! It's only fair to venders that you state your case if you are going to discredit them publicly. From your side of the situation it does appear that they were looking for a "cash cow."
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Thanks for the details! It's only fair to venders that you state your case if you are going to discredit them publicly. From your side of the situation it does appear that they were looking for a "cash cow."
Yeah, it was disappointing to have that experience since I was looking for a good mechanic at the time. I eventually found one and never hestitate to recommend Ramone Elder - Elder Auto at (303) 756-2886 for anyone looking for a good, honest shop in SE Denver.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Chris,

Thanks for sharing the experience. I dislike to the nth degree places that try to take advantage of people. Although I must say in that I'm sure there is a fine line between a shop recommending some work that they believe needs to be done and not recommending said work.

In your case though it seems that you proved that the recommended repairs were in NO way needed and just don't pass the 'sniff' test. I'll have to ask my co-worker who recently had his Lexus worked on by the Broadway Toy Doctor location if they recommended any additional work. He is the sort of person that I'm sure an unscrupulous shop would see as an open wallet AFAIK he took it to the shop to have the muffler replaced with OEM and that is exactly what they did, no more, no less, and he is happy with their work.

Sure would be nice if I can add them to my 'trusted' list as they are very convienently located...

Maybe we could convince Christo to open up a South location?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Whenever I get a "quote" not on letterhead/invoice red flags are up. When I'm told my tranny is bad and it's not even driven I walk away fast. It was too bad for them since I had 3 cars over 150,000 miles at the time. Shops that treat me well usually benefit quite well.

Now I just have one vehicle over 100,000 miles and it's my FJ62 with 230,000 miles. Not real lucrative for any shop though - it doesn't need any reapirs.

Good luck, hope you find someone close and honest.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Lifted

The BG machine is a exchange machine. It goes inline with the tranny cooler and uses the vheicles pump to change the fluid. It does this with a closed tank with a doubble bladder in it. Old fluid pushes in forcing the new fluid out.

Sediments in a good tranny will wear components faster and make it into a bad tranny. They cause sticking in the valve body, this could cause clutch slipping.

Sediments in a bad tranny add that little bit if extra friction to keep it alive for that little bit longer, and a flush could kill it, even a drain and fill could kill it.

The argument that the (fluid exchange model) flush will kill a good tranny is not true. I do belive that a forced flush could cause pump damage due to cavitation.

I belive the BG flush is $139 at Burt but I'm not sure, you might give them a call to check it out. I don't know what kind of machine Elway/Go uses.
94 pickup in a pile of parts
Old 03-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the well articulated description!
I really don't understand the 'conventional wisdom' on not using the BG system to change auto tranny fluid... I guess I'd change my tune if someone could point to a single failure caused by using the BG system.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.