Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Rock Stacker

Default 1991 hd80 VX

I just moved to Denver and have a 1991 HD80 VX Diesel power and am in need of a good mechanic in Denver for future problems. Hope none anything soon, the engine is new. Any info would be helpful and i look forward in you out .

Mark
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

No one knows a 1HD-T very well round here. Have you replaced the BB's? I would sell that thing to me since there are no mechanics for it

Might ask Christo who he would recommend if he don't work on them. I have been taking my diesels to Diesels Only of alameda for emissions test. I usually do all my own work though. I've seen a couple of cruiser diesels there and they work on toy diesels. For injector and pump maintenance i've gone to Central Motive Power. They at least know denso items there.
TLCA#4180
Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Welcome to Denver

So how did you diesel make it to the US?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Rock Stacker

It is a Panama series that I purchase in Corpus Christ as a parts car. I bought a long bloc in CA and had the complete engine gone through with new rings, main bearing, turbo reworked, injectors and have an extra head. Wimberly 4X4 outside of San Antonio did all the work. I spent more than I should on it but love the cruiser. I drove it up from Houston and got 23 mpg. I need to start working on the registration and sure its going to be a pain in the ass. Any helpful ideas. Emmisions in Co.? its a 1991 so hopeful its grandfathered.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

25 years is the cutoff. We have the emmisions Nazi here so I wish you the best of luck. You can sell it to me if want though
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Agreed, emissions is way too hard and registration is even worse. You're much better off cutting your losses and selling it to one of us in the club.

oh yeah, welcome!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Or register it out of Denver metro and the emissions control area if you can do so

But that would require a residence outside of the emissions areas...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Trail Ready

you can just get a PO box in weld county and you wont have to do emissions! thats what I did when my 40 wouldnt pass. plus I'm pretty sure registering it wouldnt be to bad there.
2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Cummins
18 foot P&J flat bed
Old 03-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Enviro-suck going the way of the buffalo

FWIW, I heard that the emissions Nazis are slowly going the way of the buffalo. Ft Collins has done away with Envirosuck since Jan 1st. Diesel are still every year, however. It will be slow to hit the Denver area I'm told, but it is unclear what the process will be to register vehicle with regards to emissions.

Granted this is not first hand knowledge, but thru the grapevine. I hope that enviro-suck does go away.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
FWIW, I heard that the emissions Nazis are slowly going the way of the buffalo. Ft Collins has done away with Envirosuck since Jan 1st. Diesel are still every year, however. It will be slow to hit the Denver area I'm told, but it is unclear what the process will be to register vehicle with regards to emissions.

Granted this is not first hand knowledge, but thru the grapevine. I hope that enviro-suck does go away.
Because the studies show that it doesn't pull old polluting vehicles off the road like they would hope or want. A good economy does that. Plus when you can get an exemption (as most states have as well) to get a waiver for ~$700 worth of work done and it still doesn't work doesn't help. Unfortunatly Diesels are the worst polluters to the brown clould. Nitrous oxides in particular. I think the gross polluters are fleet vehicles IMHO.

If you have had a previous US title I don't see it being vey difficult to get another. Passing diesel emissions is easy too. I think the max is 30% opacity on and old vehicle. I think it's just less on a new one and all you have to do is turn down the fuel if you have an issue. I never bother to check what my TDI runs at.

I wish Enviro check would go away but I don't think that'll be the case. It's big time $$$$$ in somones pocket and the legislature doesn't get enough complaints from the citizens to pull the program. It's a collossal waste of money though, I can tell you that.
TLCA#4180