Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Toyotas and PS fluid

The PSC power steering pump kit is supposed to arrive today (stifled shouts of glee) and I am mentally lining up the job.

It's been said, and I have proven (don't ask!) that conventional power steering fluid is a bad idea in minitruck PS systems. Seals go to seal heaven. Well now, since Toyota specs ATF for the power steering system, I've been a good boy and used Mobil1 ATF lately. It doesn't seem to burn though my PS pump died last year at the OHV Rock Crawl, and the current new Toy pump seems... iffy. But no seal genocide.

But what about the premium actual power steering fluids available now, especially Royal Purple, and Valvoline SynPower? Anyone use them successfully? I believe PSC stuffs Royal Purple into their system if they install it, and Valvoline SynPower is more readily available. Anyone try them?

It does occur to me that more than half my system will no longer be Toyota, except for the steering box. ATF just seems like not quite the right fluid for the job, though it is a hydraulic fluid.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, I've just been following along with what I see recommended on the forums and that is to use ATF in the PS system so I was planning to use some of the left over Valvoline Max Life ATF in my LX.

I think now though I'll wait to see what sort of feedback you get
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

I used the Valvoline Synthetic one. I have one of those vacuum brake bleeder kits. I used it to flush the power steering.

Put truck on jack stands
Suck till to the bottom of the res, fill to the top with clean synth fluid. turn wheel several times. Repeat the suck and fill at least 3 times and then until fluid is clean.

I have had no issues with it the last 10 months I have been running it.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I used the Valvoline Synthetic one. I have one of those vacuum brake bleeder kits. I used it to flush the power steering.
Valvoline Synthetic PS fluid or ATF fluid

Might have to hit Checker again. As you are my roll model Ken, I plan to follow your advice with the fluid sucker deal. It is en route and should be here Wednesday
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

PS Fluid.

You can get them at Harbor freight at 6th and I-225 (The vacuum bleeder) I think they are $29.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

This is good to know as i am about to set up my crossover steering. I had to change the steering box so most of my fluid is gone.

Is there a special cleaning fjuid I can run through the system first before adding the new fluid? I could run some of the new fluid through it but if there is a special cleaner out there I would use that first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nope, don't put anything in there but ATF.... or, apparently, Valvoline SynPower PS fluid.

I love Valvoline synthetics, the SynPower brake fluid is very stable, added to braking efficiency, and seems to stay very clean. I buy the big bottles and flush the brakes every two years with a pressure bleeder.
Pressurize.
Open bleeder.
Drink a fine ale while laying on the creeper.
Close bleeder.
Repeat four more times.....

And yes, Tom, you may borrow my pressure bleeder. Hey, let me know when you get your driveshaft so we can finish the spring perches. I left my angle finder and wire brush over there too... but we will need them anyway.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm, lookit what I found buried on PSC's website:
Quote:
System Fluid Requirements
Use ONLY powersteering fluid NO ATF ! ATF will damage the power steering components. Standard power steering fluid works well in most applications. For extreme and race applications we suggest Royal Purple Synthetic.
DOH!

If only the PSC kit had come with ANY kind of documentation. As in, it came with NUTTIN.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 04-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

I will look for the Valvoline stuff and give it a shot. I have part of the equation to do the job and with your power bleeder I am in business.

I am going to drop the shaft of on Wednesday or Thursday I hope, they say a day turn around so I could be good for the weekend again. Working on the tank and some other items tonight. Hope to have the steering all hooked up and ready to go too.

PS The LT is on the truck on its way here. Should be here on Friday but since I am off Friday I should get it Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Nope, don't put anything in there but ATF.... or, apparently, Valvoline SynPower PS fluid.

I love Valvoline synthetics, the SynPower brake fluid is very stable, added to braking efficiency, and seems to stay very clean. I buy the big bottles and flush the brakes every two years with a pressure bleeder.
Pressurize.
Open bleeder.
Drink a fine ale while laying on the creeper.
Close bleeder.
Repeat four more times.....

And yes, Tom, you may borrow my pressure bleeder. Hey, let me know when you get your driveshaft so we can finish the spring perches. I left my angle finder and wire brush over there too... but we will need them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Shrug, this is why I stick with the factory system, it's easy to follow the inspection cap and just use Dexron II.
The second factory pump is getting iffy. The first grenaded with fanfare. The steering boxes are beau coup robust, no worries.
KDěRCH
Bio Page