Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Bikini top ?'s (really! for the cruiser!)

The one for Cruisers not for

I was the lucky winner of the STC top at the Rally, and I think we all know their story (or lack thereof). I'm being patient, afterall, that's how I've been able to find my neato cars. So, in the interim....

Just wondering how many of you guys run bikinis. What you like/dislike, etc. I'm wondering if I should just keep the hardtop on until/unless I get a full softtop, or get something less expensive that will get me some sun/rain coverage and allow me to pull the hardtop.

the next question is I've been looking at the SOR ones. Both the 'regular' one and the one with the 'sunroof' type flap (standard vs. safari summer top). Any comments to push me one way or the other? At this point the $25 difference isn't much of a factor. But leaking rain on me, is. ;-)
Old 04-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

The visual I just got of you in a bikini is very upsetting! I gotta stop looking at the forum while I'm trying to get work done....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bikinis are the best, both on cruisers and .

I don't really see the point in having the flap-type-sunroof-thing in a bikini top. The main reason I want the bikini top is to keep the sun off my baldness while enjoying the open air.

'85 FJ60
Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default bald is IN, man...

UB, sorry for the visual. I threw up a little in mouth thinking about myself in a Bikini top. eeewwwwwww.

Martin: HAH!! That was my first thought! my "rain detector" is getting bigger and bigger every month! "Gavin MacCloud, put a hat on, you're blinding me with your head!" (extra credit to name the origin of that quote, eh) there's a hint in there.

My other thought with the sunroof thingie is...what happens when I'm parked and it rains...the standard might just pool water, while the sunroof flap might just let it in!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default OH...another question.

dumb question...but you can run a bikini with your hard doors on, right? that's all I got...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Rising Sun member

Yep you can run a bikini with hard doors on...during the summer if it's gonna rain that's what I do because it keeps a surprising amount of rain out. I do have a small tarp for when the truck has to sit outside and it's likely to rain, but the bikini comes off so fast that IMO it's sure worth it because you're THIS close to going topless

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default woah~

Another scary image....topless Cardinal. ewwwwww.....

"Shirts and Skins, Who's in??"

"Uh...I'm out, the ol' knee injury is acting up"
Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Skins for me...definitely skins

Re: the other bikini tops...A couple thoughts...

Assuming you will someday actually get the STC top you won, I believe their windshield channel is still different than say the Bestop or SOR (rebadged Bestop) channel.

AFAIK the STC windshield channel has a round channel for the top's attachment to lock/slide into. Bestop/SOR have a flat rectangular type channel.

I have read (on MUD) that the bikini tops with the flat/rectangular insert will work in the round style windshield channel and that it will hold it tight but obviously the other way around wouldn't work. So, in other words you could use a Bestop bikini top (maybe even soft top) with the STC style windshield channel but you could not use a STC bikini or soft top with a Bestop style windshield channel.

Clear as mud?

I only mention this in case you ever do get the STC top and want to run the same windshield channel for both the STC soft top and bikini (Bestop or SOR) that you will need to use the STC one. Or, if you can get the STC channel and bikini top (if they have them in stock?) I'd just go that route and then you are ready for whenever you get the soft top

Another note: I've read where rather than drilling your windshield frame to attach the channel based on the holes in the channel that people have drilled the channel based on OEM holes in the windshield frame and used those instead (i.e. no more new holes in your 40).

Disclosure: I have never done the above, but I have owned both a Bestop Tigertop and a STC Fastrac top AND bikini tops from both companies (Martin has the Bestop one now ) and know that the channels were different on those models. If you want to try one out before you buy one, let me know. My bikini top and channel are floating around somewhere in the basement, I think - and I have one of those "family SOR" tops as well to try out.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Great info!

Thanks Corsair! that's great info...I might take you up on the offer to test fit some things. who knew the mounting tracks were so different!!!? excellent info.

thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

I vote for the full softop

I have an old used pos Kayline Fastrack, and like that you can roll up the sides and basically have a BIG bikini top...

You get the idea with this pic...but it's good to keep the sun off my kiddies.
Attached Images

TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride