Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Here is how I did mine. It sits a tad high but actually is a good compromise when the rope is all played out.

I used 3/8x1.5" strap iron. The winch boltls go through it sandwiching it in. I then located the fairlead holes and taped thread into the plates to hold the fairlead tight. I actually had to space my 12.5k winch back anyway to fit so it worked out great.
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the pics UB...

I've got spacers in there to fit the XD9000 already so I could theoretically tap into those...But I don't have the experience to do that and would have to go buy the tools to do so.

And I would still have to drill into the bull bar for the hawse fairlead correct?

Does putting the winch the 1/2" to 3/8" higher on the bull bar in order to utilize the top winch holes make that much difference overall? Spanky made the point of keeping the winch low so it is closer level wise to the frame rails which makes sense. I'll have to look tonight to see where the winch would sit in relation to the frame rails using the upper holes...

Have I beat this issue to death yet?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

If it will work to raise the winch then do it without looking back! I'm guessing it will only fit the lower holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Thanks for the pics UB...

I've got spacers in there to fit the XD9000 already so I could theoretically tap into those...But I don't have the experience to do that and would have to go buy the tools to do so.

And I would still have to drill into the bull bar for the hawse fairlead correct?

Does putting the winch the 1/2" to 3/8" higher on the bull bar in order to utilize the top winch holes make that much difference overall? Spanky made the point of keeping the winch low so it is closer level wise to the frame rails which makes sense. I'll have to look tonight to see where the winch would sit in relation to the frame rails using the upper holes...

Have I beat this issue to death yet?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
If it will work to raise the winch then do it without looking back! I'm guessing it will only fit the lower holes.
In case anyone is wondering, NEVER doubt the wisdom of UB

Farted around with the ARB and winch last night and the winch can NOT (XD9000 anyway) mount to the upper holes unless you want to cut the ARB . The motor clears (i.e. sits just under) one of the support pieces by maybe 1/4". So, unless I want to notch this support piece that winch isn't going up.

So, I'm just leaving the thing as is for now and will see how it works. Few options would be:
  1. Drill new lower holes through the ARB and into the spacers for just the fairlead. Then tap them to accept the bolts
  2. Buy a different Hawse fairlead (like UB posted) designed for feet first winch mounting like on the ARB
  3. Talk Christo into designing and making a new bling fairlead with the holes offset lower like the OKOffroad one
I like option #3 best...hint hint Christo

Other thing I noticed is that on the XD9000 the motor is on the left (M12000 motor is on the right). Would be PERFECT if I had a dual battery setup. But the single battery on the LX is on the right. So, now I'm not sure my existing cables will reach so I may arrive in Moab with a bling ARB, winch, fairlead, synthetic rope, that doesn't actually work.

On a side note, I have the front end of my FJ40 all apart. I took the winch off and then decided to take the winch mount off (what a royal PITA!) which required me to take the bib off and disassemble most of the front end. My wife is starting to wonder if I've gone mad

So, if anyone is interested I might have a winch mount plate (feet down design), roller fairlead, and high lift jack towers avail for sale. I believe the bumper is spoken for already.

How it looked before disassembly.
Attached Images

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thread resurrection +1!

To paraphrase Pink Floyd, in a momentary lapse of financial reason I have purchased a winch. (EP9). So far the install is about as un-plug-and-play as possible. (I'll do a separate install thread).

However, due to the fairlead that came with the winch not compatible with the ARB, I am thinking of going synthetic rope since I eventually wanted to do that anyway, and rather than buy a new Warn Fairlead, I'd rather get a hawse fairlead, and sell my wire rope while new for 40 bucks or something.

So, question for you guys that are running hawse fairleads with the ARB. Do you ever run into problems (when the pull is angled upward) where the rope rubs against that horizontal fairlead support on the ARB? Seems like since the hawse is stuck back a bit further it may hit the rope at an upward pull? ( I know I'll have to run an offset hawse like slee's, but just don't really want to have to start cutting on the bumper. I think I'd go delrin rollers before that). Also any problems with having one bolt/nut clamp the (hawse | arb plate | winch ) together? The winch did come with 10.9 hardware...
Old 10-31-2010, 05:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
[*]Talk Christo into designing and making a new bling fairlead with the holes offset lower like the OKOffroad one [/list]I like option #3 best...hint hint Christo

ummmm, he already does make those...have you visited sleeoffroad.com?
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-31-2010, 05:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
ummmm, he already does make those...have you visited sleeoffroad.com?
Miss Ige, did you happen to notice the date of Jeff's post?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

LOL maybe I should have started a new thread but Jeff's post was titled exactly what I would have named mine, I am just years late to this party. (And btw, I searched the internets with no luck for 15 minutes on the subject of hawse leads on arb's before I found Jeff's thread. )
Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Didn't notice the date either Ige..Just reading along...

BTW, I have the Slee fairleed with the off set lower holes and syn line from Viking off road, works great. My original Hawes Fairleed did not fit my FJC ARB bumper.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Corey you're alright man.

www.gamiviti.com