Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Just to throw another wrenchin the equation, why not use the posts to power the winch and the side post to start the vehicle? I used a Sears marine battery that way for years with no ill effects. The vehicle was run of the side posts and all my accesories including 1500 watts of stereo ran of the top posts.
I don't think using the side posts would be an option for the 80 series without doing some cable replacement...The cables barely stretch to reach center mounted posts...Maybe rotating the battery would work but that would put the cables right up against the battery box, albeit a plastic box, and I don't think you could get the cabling to make that severe of a bend coming in.

I bought some of these to try for the side posts on the LX. Marine types terminals that I use on the FJ40. I like the wingnut for quick removal purposes without having to remove the entire terminal from the post. Might consider using these on the top posts as well to give me a little more length on my stretched cables .

For true BLING check these out! JL Audio Battery Terminals or Main Website

JL Audio has an authorized store down here in Littleton.

Anyone looking for an Exide Orbital OR78DT battery might want to give ebay a shot...The best price I could find was here: Bargain Brothers

Currently price is $124 + shipping (~$26). About $150 total for me 'cuz no tax. Walmarts price last week when I was in there was $159.99 IIRC + tax. Checker wanted $169.99 + tax.

If I manage to fry my battery I'll let everyone know . Not sure now whether the existing cables I have will reach .

Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy heavy guage wire in bulk length for winches and remote fuse boxes?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy heavy guage wire in bulk length for winches and remote fuse boxes?
I got mine from a welding supply shop, can't remember the name but it was down in the vicitiny of General Air by the staduim, or closer to Stadium Auto parts actually but on the west side of the highway. Careful though.. that's a slippery slope you're on as you're flirting with dual battery stuff now. Only other things you need is the tray, the washer relocator kit, and an isolator/combiner right?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Or a solenoid. Many of the isolater/combiner units out there look good from the outside, and look 1960 on the inside. Waste of money - and the heatsink indicates a waste of energy as well! 200A weatherproof solenoids can be gotten for $35 or so. Use ignition +12 through a switch to power them, or even a DT switch to pick ignition +12, hot all the time +12, or off, depending on what you want. Flexible.

I get welding cable from Dave Rios at General Air on S. Santa Fe, tell him Bill Morgan of the Sou'Siders sent you and get a stealin' deal.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I got mine from a welding supply shop, can't remember the name but it was down in the vicitiny of General Air by the staduim, or closer to Stadium Auto parts actually but on the west side of the highway. Careful though.. that's a slippery slope you're on as you're flirting with dual battery stuff now. Only other things you need is the tray, the washer relocator kit, and an isolator/combiner right?
True...so true

If time weren't an issue, and given what I know now about how I'm going to have to route my winch cables, I would go dual battery and be done with it. Suspension wise I have what I need up front to do so

May still do so and just leave the dang winch powerless until then .

So much to do...so little time. I finally had to make a list of "Must Do's" and "Want To Do's" before Moab
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Two weeks plus three days.... gotta get working'...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.