Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 2 ga Cable/Wire Crimping

Discovered last night that the positive connector for my winch going to the battery is fubar. Connector looked weak and thin to begin with but with all of the pushing and prodding to route the cable to the battery the connector gave up the ghost.

So, now I guess I need to buy a new connector and a crimper, but as usual I know nothing about these. I've got your typical little electrical crimper deal for 14-20 ga wire but nothing big enough to do the 2 ga winch wire.

Is this what I need

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide12-08.html

I read an old thread by Red Chili about relocating batteries to the rear on a 4Runner where he talked about getting a crimper that wasn't too expensive so I'm hoping that means I just don't know what I should be looking for.

TIA
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Fill the lug with solder 1/-3/4 and insert cable end. Don't burn yourself. Then i put a shrink fit insulator on the end.
TLCA#4180
Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmmm...that holds ok? There won't be much (shouldn't be) stress on the cable but some of the ones for the winch look like the cable was fed in, crimped, and then a hole punched to make the "ring" or eye. I think my positive lead was a PO "redo" as the width of the metal on the ring isn't more than 1/8" wide, and now it is split/broken. HONEST. Tragic really as all the others are nice and thick.
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Here's a variety from DelCity:

http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servl...tid=229&page=1

The Die Cast Terminal Crimping Tool at about $150 (typical price) crimps all the way around and gives a (much) better mechanical connection than the $50 hammer/vice crimpers.

I've been eying it for my upcoming dual-battery/winch project. If you end up wanting to buy one, I'd consider splitting the cost with you

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

That's how I do mine.. I havent' had any issues. If your cable is short it might pull on it or if you use really stiff cable with less strands. Othewise that's how I did all my new cable connections for the new used winch and redoing my grounds on the rig.
TLCA#4180
Old 04-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

if you want to crimp it also, you can pound it in with a chisel, but the solder and heat shrink has worked for me for years.
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Lifted

I have used the little crimper that they supply when you buy a custom set of ignition wires, tap with a hammer.
If you have never purchased a set of wires you have to crimp the ends on then you may not know what im talking about.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Alrighty...I'm going to try the solder/heat shrink trick first

I'm also going to run over to that JL Audio distributor just down the road from me as they have some really cool bling stuff that might work for a long term. I want to run the power for the winch, lights, and power center (secodary fuse block for CB, outlets, etc) off there and JL makes something that looks like it would make these connections real slick (see here). Of course no idea how much $$ that bling stuff cost

Hants, as for that crimping tool...That is tempting but I'm got to stay inexpensive for now as the mod fund has taken a serious hit lately
TLCA #17037

:

Old 04-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
... the mod fund has taken a serious hit lately

I suspect quite a few of us are in that boat right now

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 04-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've been working on mounting my winch in the 4Runner and I decided to mount the control box under the hood, so I'm going to need new cables.

Since the crimpers I had only go up to 6 ga, I figured I'd solder them as well. I did some searching on the marine sites for how-to's. I always defer to the boating crowd, for projects like this, 'cuz I can't think of a harsher environment for electrical connections.

This is what I found out: You must use tinned lugs and cable or be able to tin the lug and cable. Use non-acid flux and non-flux core solder that is formulated for electrical connections. The stuff you would use for soldering copper pipe won't work for making good connections.

All the articles I read DO NOT recommend soldering alone. Soldering, if done right, will make a good electrical connection but will not make a mechanical connection.

All of the how-to's I read highly recommend crimping 1st and then soldering!! Most of the articles stated that if crimping is done right, there is very little room for the solder to flow into anyway and there is little benefit to soldering other than increased water tightness. Dielectric grease and heat shrink will give equal weatherproofness.

Per Red Chili's recommendation I got me one of those hammer crimpers to finish the project and it works great. you are welcome to use it if you want.

I went over to Westmarine, on County Line, this week to pick up more cable and lugs and got to talking to one of the guys in there. Lo-and-behold they have an entire work bench set up for customers to use to make their own cables !!!!! Buy your stuff there and you are welcome to use it. Cutters, strippers and a bench mounted compound leverage crimper, every thing a gearhead would need to get-er-done right!!!!

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 04-12-2007 at 05:08 PM.