Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default N00b Ham questions

I warn you: I tend to ask really stupid questions when I'm new to something. Lot and lots of them. Eventually, I'll know enough that I'll stop.

Question one:
My CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination) says that I have earned this new license class:
TECHNICIAN w/HF

Does that mean I have some HF privileges? I thought the technician level granted only VHF and UHF.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

You get privileges on 10 meter from 28.000 to 28.300 CW, RTTY & data and 28.300 to 28.500 CW and SSB phone. 200 watts PEP. You also get a small sliver of 15 meters, 40 meters and 80 meters IIRC (Nathaniel can fill you in on these) but it's CW (code) only on the lower bands

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 04-16-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Is anybody running HF in their rigs, or does that require so much antenna that it makes it a logistical PITA? Just curious -- some of the radios, like the FT-8900, offer quad band: the 8900 is a 29/50/144/430 MHz FM Transceiver. The Yaesu FT-100D looks way cool as well.
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

The quad banders are FM only. IMHO not worth the x-tra $$. 6meter FM isn't any better than 2meter FM. I know you probably read that 6 is the magic band but most of the action on 6 is on SSB. Currently there are no 6m SSB mobiles 'cept the $1000 DC to Daylight all bander rigs. 10meters on the quads is FM also and our Tech+HF privileges do not allow for FM transmissions on 10.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Matt, my vote is you should just get a 7800 or 8800. They are perfect radios for what our main need is, and will completely satisfy your immediate need for a radio. And similar to sliders, bumpers, and OME springs.. if you decide to switch up in a year or so I bet you could get 75% of what you paid for it back... or, put the 7800 in the other truck...

I can't remember if the 7800 is a true "dual bander" or not.. but that feature has already been very handy so I'd recommend it.. I know Chris uses it as well, we keep one channel on the repeater, the other on the common simplex freq., can monitor both and switching which one to talk on is just a button. hth...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

The 7800 is a true dual band radio (in that it receives and transmits on both 2m and 70cm), but only has one tuner. The 8800 has two VFOs, so it can tune two bands simultaneously. I have a 7800 and like it a lot, but having two tuners would be nice. But my $0.02 is that the 8800 isn't quite as friendly to operate while moving, so I decided to live without it. If Yaesu made the 8800 with the lighted buttons and big display of the 7800, I'd think about going that way.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Matt,
Just because some folks wanna stick it out with CB(WHY?), don't think that there are any dumb questions. My 2M radio has less buttons(3) than my 1978 Realistic CB(4).

Technician w/HF privileges means exactly what Brian said. You may operate on certain HF frequencies in specific modes. Ironically, the HF privileges that are most effective right now are the 80 and 40 meter bands, and those privileges are for CW only for the Technician license. It is ironic b/c they dropped the code requirement, but the only real way to do HF as a technician is to use morse code.

The 10 Meter band(where you can talk on SSB phone) will start to open up in the next 2-4 years, and when it does you'll be amazed to talk all over the world with as little as 5 watts. Bruce gave an example in our Ham class of when he was operating in the Cayman Islands during a peak in the sunspot cycle(affects signal propogation) he used a modified CB rig to operate on 10 Meter band(CB is technically 11 meters) and talked all over the world with only 3 watts!

Watch out, folks tend to get bitten by the bug and then they really want to see how cool the entire amateur radio hobby really is and how it has contributed directly to the communication devices we take for granted daily(Cell phone, etc).

Any more questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
You get privileges on 10 meter from 28.000 to 28.300 CW, RTTY & data and 28.300 to 28.500 CW and SSB phone. 200 watts PEP. You also get a small sliver of 15 meters, 40 meters and 80 meters IIRC (Nathaniel can fill you in on these) but it's CW (code) only on the lower bands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I warn you: I tend to ask really stupid questions when I'm new to something. Lot and lots of them. Eventually, I'll know enough that I'll stop.

Question one:
My CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination) says that I have earned this new license class:
TECHNICIAN w/HF

Does that mean I have some HF privileges? I thought the technician level granted only VHF and UHF.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The 7800 is a true dual band radio (in that it receives and transmits on both 2m and 70cm), but only has one tuner. The 8800 has two VFOs, so it can tune two bands simultaneously. I have a 7800 and like it a lot, but having two tuners would be nice. But my $0.02 is that the 8800 isn't quite as friendly to operate while moving, so I decided to live without it. If Yaesu made the 8800 with the lighted buttons and big display of the 7800, I'd think about going that way.

definitely agree, there's only so much you really want to try to do while driving.... those buttons are small and not lit on the 8800, and kind of a pain. OTOH, you can custom the P1-P4 buttons on the handset to do some common stuff (like scan, adjust output power, toggle between the two bands, etc.) so you can minimize the times you actually have to touch the buttons on the faceplate. I wish those little buttons were backlit like on the 7800... but I'll take the dual tuners! thanks for clearing that up, Dave.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Matt,
Just because some folks wanna stick it out with CB(WHY?)
That's a big 10-4 good buddy, I got your back door. What? What? Come back, say again Billy-jo-jim-bob down in Tejas just walked all over you. What? What? Wait let me see if I can squelch them out. Come Back? What? Wait I forgot to turn up the RF gain.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Woops it's Perry again tring to break in, wonder what he wants.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Damn it Perry, I told you to fix that thing. Some one roll down their window and shout at him.

Wait I think I heard the tail gunner say some one is broke down, can some one relay up to the leader to hold up, my radio doesn't seem to be getting out.

Yea going to miss all that
Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post

Dave, thanks for posting this. I think I need to go to HRO and see the units in person.

Hey, how often are you guys using 70cm, anyway? Any? Is there any reason to get the 7800 over the 2800 if you're not using UHF? The 2800 gives you 65 watts instead of 50 watts, too.