Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ahhhh, but hand her an ice cream sandwich from your Engle on a real hot August afternoon far from home and you will make her happy
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default ....just say no!

Ok....I'll come clean. I think this Ham stuff is way cool and I know if I don't diss it and justify NOT getting into it I can avoid it for a while. I do not need another hobby nor do I need to throw $1000's at another thing I don't have the time for! I had a friend back in Greeley when I was young impress the crud out of me with his communication/"reach out and talk to somebody" equipment. His passion did bleed over on me a tad and got me into kickers and the like but I resisted his 2M passion. The most impressive gadget he had (in my opinion) was a 100' tower with remotely adjustable antenna head couple to a 1000watt kicker and a 23 channel "heathkit" cb base unit that he could "skip" east or west and talk to fellow airwave nutcases in Aussieland. I was always blown away by that!
Looking through the window and watching you guys get into this and seeing and researching the equipment has me interested of course but for now I'm gonna resist and see who is still into it when the novelty wears off. I can resist....I can resist....I can.......
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Ahhhh, but hand her an ice cream sandwich from your Engle on a real hot August afternoon far from home and you will make her happy
Somehow I don't see Michelle getting excited by either the bumping around out to the boonies or the ice cream sandwich. Now hire a baby sitter and go for a very long extended mountain bike ride with a rewarding sunset and a glass of wine with no electronic gadgets for miles and I think you'll see that big grin!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

It doesn't have to be expensive. A nice 2m mobile set up is only going to be a couple of hundred dollars. Even new, a Yaesu FT-1802M is going for about $150 and single band antenna is maybe $40. Hams are perpetual tinkerers, so finding very good used radios is super easy, saves you a ton a money.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 04-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I do not need another hobby nor do I need to throw $1000's at another thing I don't have the time for! I can resist....I can resist....I can.......
Just bustin yer chops, oh wise and noble one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
It doesn't have to be expensive. A nice 2m mobile set up is only going to be a couple of hundred dollars. Even new, a Yaesu FT-1802M is going for about $150 and single band antenna is maybe $40. Hams are perpetual tinkerers, so finding very good used radios is super easy, saves you a ton a money.
Also, ask Sharkbait how much he spent on his homebrew antenna that works AWESOME!

You could also spend $15 on 4" of round plexiglass and 1/8" stainless rod and make a very good 5/8 wave antenna for the FZJ80! Not many additions to a landcruiser can boast having the improvements that Ham has over CB and be less than $200.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Also, ask Sharkbait how much he spent on his homebrew antenna that works AWESOME!
5' of twin lead was about $0.50, Solder an old CB coax cable to it after sacrificing one end, $??. The optional feed line noise suppressor ferrite bead material was around $5.00. The pigtail to go from the larger coax connector to the smaller one on the radio was around $10. That's it!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

You guys speak with blinders on! I got into Cruisers by buying a $600 FJ-40 basketcase! I got into R/C by buying my oldest daughter a $49 Nikko! I got into guns with a hand me down .22! I got into drag racing by getting a stock '68 stick shift Chevelle! I got into pull trucking by building a buddies transfer case on his Super Stock Ford F-250! Hell....I got into 4 wheeling by buying a $200 J**p CJ-5! First home theater was a 19" TV and cheap VCR patched into a normal 50 watt stereo! First camper was a free shell on my Chebby P/U! Need I go on?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 04-17-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
You guys speak with blinders on! I got into Cruisers by buying a $600 FJ-40 basketcase! I got into R/C by buying my oldest daughter a $49 Nikko! I got into guns with a hand me down .22! I got into drag racing by getting a stock '68 stick shift Chevelle! I got into pull trucking by building a buddies transfer case on his Super Stock Ford F-250! Hell....I got into 4 wheeling by buying a $200 J**p CJ-5! First camper was a free shell on my Chebby P/U! Need I go on?
You sound like one of those crusty ol' hams already

Get your self a empty Quaker Oats carton, the cylindrical cardboard type. Wind some lacquered wire from an old alternator around it. Add a few old TV tubes. Feed it into a cut down CB antenna and you're all set.

Seriously though, back when Radio Shack used to deal in radios they sold alot of Ham gear. Most of it is still highly reguarded as quality entry level equipment. I've seen 2meter rigs go for as little as $25 on flea bay and QRZ. I lucked out and found a HTX10 (10meter all mode) for $50 when the Radio Shack at U. Hills Mall was closing.

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 04-17-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
You sound like one of those crusty ol' hams already

Get your self a empty Quaker Oats carton, the cylindrical cardboard type. <snip>
See.....there you go! Already suggesting high quality, front line, name brand stuff! It just gets worse from there! Then someone discovers that it actually works better if you use the higher cost instant packets...and so on....and so on....and.....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
See.....there you go! Already suggesting high quality, front line, name brand stuff! It just gets worse from there! Then someone discovers that it actually works better if you use the higher cost instant packets...and so on....and so on....and.....

OMG that was funny!!

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated