Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rear end help (Bill????)

OK guys,

I drove the 4Runner yesterday with the 37's for the first time, boy is that thing tall..........to tall. Anyway I am driving it everywhere to break in the springs and hopefully get some sag in it.

So here is the problem, when I accelerate rapidly or stop rapidly the rear end makes a clunking sound. Sort of like the third member is being pushed up or down and then setting in place. There seems to be some axle rap going on, as I rock the truck back and forth by pulling on the bumper you can see the pumpkin move up an down.

Does anybody have an idea on what it may be??

Here is the set up, 5" Marlin USA springs mounted to two" lift shackles (soon to be removed) shocks are in the stock position.

Thanks for any help you may send my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm... difficult to say without seeing it. Try removing the shocks and driving around. Are your U bolts tight? They can loosen scary fast...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Hmmm... difficult to say without seeing it.
Bill is a Proctologist too
TLCA#4180
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ewww...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

believe it or not, tire pressure can affect this as well, but I would triple check all torque specs
Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Drive shafts/u-joint? But I'm with eveyone else check u-bolts. Also check bushing are the correct size especially at fixed end. If you are seeing axlewrap at this point DO NOT pull any leafs out. Maybe add a bunch of weight to help settle springs.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good advice guys, I will check all those things and let you all know what comes of it.

As for the proctologist part...........I am NOT Bills patient, just wnated to make that clear!

Thanks guys.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

OK, checked the U bolts and they were loose. I watched my friend Jay tighten these up late Sunday night and he was pulling hard. I guess taking it for a small drive was enough to seat some of the items that they came loose.

I checked all the other bolts with teh torque wrench and some were off a little but most of the others were fine.

Replacing the steering box tomorrow night with a "new" one that does not leak so I can get a real feel for the steering. So far I am happy with the results, the dogs on the other hand hate me. They have to jump about 4 feet high onto the tailgate to get in so guess what I will be working on after Moab??? Yep a mounted sliding doggie ramp, they aren't spoiled or anything like that.

BTW Bill, my wife loves the ride and look. She agrees about two inches lower and it will be perfect. I will be cutting fenders this weekend to accomadate the tires once all settles and the shackles are changed.

Thanks again to all for the advice, I checked all the things you guys told me and she runs like a champ now.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, I learned the hard way that U bolts can loosen faster than Anna Nicole Smith's relational ethics.

Check 'em again soon, too! (the u bolts...)

I got tired of always having to check them, and of the warped plates from many of the kits, so I doubled the thickness of the plates, used 5/8" U bolts from NAPA front and rear (requires a press to alter the bend on the passenger side front ), torqued them to 100 lb./ft., and they have not budged.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

I may just add a second nut on top of them. I think most of the problem came from getting them seated and some stretching of the metals. I will check them every night for the next two weeks and some of the other bolts too.

Quote:

TLCA #6136