Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 1st gen 4Runner owners ?????

If you are running a lift with 35 to 38" tires could you please tell me what the height of the bottom of the frame is? I am trying to figure out if my springs are taller than I ordered.

Thanks for the info in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hey Tom, from what I saw on the markings on the springs, they are exactly what you ordered. And you have exactly the same concerns as anyone who orders Marlin/AllPro springs.

They run about 2" taller than advertised when new. That changes fairly rapidly. I ordered 3" springs for my son's SAS from AllPro, and they sit at about 4.5". I knew this, and prevailed on my son to NOT order taller than 3". He is real happy with the height, but he is a bit nose-high with 4" Alcans in the rear.

That will change after Moab.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Tom,

FWIW, mine's about 26 1/4" under the doors with 37" Pitbulls. I have no idea what lift my springs or shackles are, but I'd guess 3.5" for the springs and another 1.5" for the shackles.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys, seems like the springs are settling a little bit so far. The frame height was 29" but last night I thought I read 28 1/4. Would be nice to have it settle a little more before the run but we'll see.

Bill, I called Marlin and asked them about the springs. They told me that some of the 4" springs lift the truck as much as 6"s and settle around 5"s. I asked them why and they blamed the new vendor and steel supply. Seems that they thought the springs would break down more than what they are doing.

In other news, both lockers are working like a charm. Jay and I took it out to the field behind the house. There was some dumped cement etc, did some climbing and engaged the lockers. Except for the gooey mud it did great, nice flex and predictable, so far at least.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Bill, I called Marlin and asked them about the springs. They told me that some of the 4" springs lift the truck as much as 6"s and settle around 5"s. I asked them why and they blamed the new vendor and steel supply. Seems that they thought the springs would break down more than what they are doing.
That's kinda funny... they get them from the same vendor as AP FAIK, and the AP springs have ALWAYS done that. The thinking being, if someone orders 4" lift and it settles to 3", they are gonna be a whole lot unhappier than if it settles to 4.5" or 5".

But all springs settle.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

25 inches from frame rail to ground under the door on 36 inch tires.
Pretty happy at this height. I drag on things more often than I tip over.

my marlin 4 rears have dropped about 2 inches (with the lowest leaf removed)
My Marlin 3 front buggy springs run flat to inverted all the time. They are too soft.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ah ya shamed me into it. I put on the TrailGear Front 4 inch springs last night instead of my low-rider, way too soft 3 inch Marlin buggy springs.

My rig is about 26 at the frame now, but I expect it will sag out to at least 25 again. the new springs ride much much better than the too soft springs did. Now I need to wheel it to settle them!

Also, It looks like the passenger side lean on my truck is caused by a weak right rear spring after all. I might just add the lowest leaf back on that side to help it out a bit. I dunno. It is fully 1 inch lower on that corner.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, sometimes pulling a leaf works, sometimes it just stresses the remaining leafs and can lead to a broken main leaf!
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 04-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
Also, It looks like the passenger side lean on my truck is caused by a weak right rear spring after all. I might just add the lowest leaf back on that side to help it out a bit. I dunno. It is fully 1 inch lower on that corner.
If you can't get it resolved, you can do what I was going to do: Name the rig Eileen.

New main leaves up front fixed mine, though.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 04-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Yeah, sometimes pulling a leaf works, sometimes it just stresses the remaining leafs and can lead to a broken main leaf!

Thought about that, Marlin says it is OK to do with his leaves. I guess we will see after Wednesday. Taking a pre run I hope.

Quote:

TLCA #6136