Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

I know a fella who excels at making straight housings out of bent ones.

Rotating pinions too. And marrying Dana ends to whatever centers. And vice-versa. Not expensive either if you bring him bare housings.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Had a little carnage on Friday when I got stuck on the "Escalator", when I slid back into the hole. I got a small dent/tear under the right tail light where I welded a bracket for the spare tire carrier. The spare also dented in my tail gate some and cracked the plastic "handle" on the back of the 4runner. The window survived so all I need is a couple of pushes from the inside to fix it.
A few small scrapes on the rear bumper and left front fender also thanks to the Escalator.

That is it for carnage, was very happy about that and how the 4Runner did for its first time. I don't know how I wheeled before without those monster tires and super low gearing, it made everything seem easy sort of. I still made a ton of mistakes either choosing my line or to much or little throttle but all in all we survived all intact and with a giant grin on my face

16 days till I return to Moab for Memorial day weekend, I can't wait to hit the trails again and show my wife and friends the reason I spend so many lonely nights in the garage...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

sheared one of the two studs on the front housing that holds my leaf spring plates on, decided against Pritchett on Saturday just in case, had to be content with BTR on Friday and being a passenger on Saturday
Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I got a check engine light on the way down Vail pass, P0401, egr. Was on all week (like 1/3 the 80's I passed through tech inspection). I was pointed to a doodad that I need to remove & clean which should correct the problem, tried last night but can't get it loose. Will tackle again...

I've got some rubbing from the 35's, will lower the bump stops in back just a tad so I kiss the inner fender wells less, and thinking of just lifting the front up another 1".. I hit the bolts that hold the flares on with the outer edge of the tire when at full compressing during extreme baja maneuvers. If more lift doesn't work I'll add to the bumpstops.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post

Then, of course, there's the carnage I created in the Busey camp...
That reminds me. I still have your glass.........
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I crunched the opening on my tailpipe pretty flat -- several times. I just hogged it out with a long breaker bar and it was fine.

The 80 performed flawlessly on the trail.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Holy moly. Time to take that beautiful FJ40 body and bolt it to a shortened FZJ80 rolling chassis, doncha think?
Or ARB's?

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdan View Post
That reminds me. I still have your glass.........
It's a collector's item: Cup-o-endless-margaritas

Bring it to my camp anytime -- free refills for life! I'll have a talk with the bartender and make sure he doesn't share too much joy-juice too fast next time

I'm glad you're chuckling about it now.

I was getting worried that I was going walk into the garage one morning and find a puddle of slag where I park my .

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Carnage? I drive like a wuss

Let's see...Thursday on Porcupine I scraped and banged my way all over the place but the only carnage was a semi-smooshed tailpipe and the power coat marks I left on the rocks

Friday on Fins and Things I had a green 60 roll backwards into me while parked at the potty stop and dent up the brand new ARB - This was the same 60 that broke a motor mount on Porcupine Rim on Thursday and then spilled ATF all over their cargo area which promptly started seeping out onto the trail. After rolling back into me they promptly left

Saturday on Poison Spider more powder coat losses, more tail pipe denting, and a busted gut seeing Leif stick his 40 and then watching Hants and Ben on the sand hill

Aside from a now red colored black vehicle, a ton of sand inside, and about a brazillion pieces of cotton I'd say my wuss driving skills did me good and if only I had not parked behind the 60

BTW, how hot is too hot for an 80 engine? Pulling Vail Pass and Eisenhower the best I could muster was 25 mph. It was a long grind with high RPMs and max temp showed 225 degrees. I actually got to see the stock temp gauge move above 1/2 way
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 05-08-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'll play:

I shat out my front license plate on rock chucker (the video is quite funny) nicked my winch cable on an optional obstacle trying to out do chris in the fj, and blew a compressor hose on my compressor.

oh, and my interior got dusty

j