Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-09-2007, 07:58 AM

That would be really cool for do custom interior mods. Making switch blanks or GPS mounts etc....
Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Trail Ready

The model train guys are going to go nuts. Model trains, model builders, R/C hobbyists, doll houses..... Go to the grocery store and look at how many magazines are on the shelf for just these hobbys. I think the potential for something like this is huge. "I need to order it from Tower Hobbys before this weekends race..." will become "I downloaded the specs from the forum, let me print it out and we'll race this afternoon".

And yeah "Earl Gray, hot..." I like the one where the gypsyies (how do you spell the plural of gypsy?) are brewing their own hooch because they don't like the synthyhol from the replicator. Did I just let on too much about my college days?

Anyway, cool product. As cool as Nakman, I don't know......
Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Rising Sun Commander

We've got a guy in our shop who works part time, he's retired. He also is a model train hobbiest, so yeah we've run our share of train parts. He runs the masters here then casts them at home, makes his own replicas. Eric I'll send you a switch blank and CB holder, what color's your interior? And I'm surprised none of you pointed out the flaw that the writer referred to the transporter, not the replicator. Geez, you call yourselves trekkies..

One big issue with toys & dolls is not all the materials are FDA approved, or at all safe to be sucked on. The nylon is ok, but the SLA resin is pretty bad for you, as are the urethanes, the PolyJet parts, and the waxes. That will be a real hurdle to overcome before every dad will run out and buy a 3D printer to make doll arms for his kid... until then just buy sintered nylon from me!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
And I'm surprised none of you pointed out the flaw that the writer referred to the transporter, not the replicator. Geez, you call yourselves trekkies..
Too funny!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pretty sweet, I am with Jenny, don't NEED one but WANT ONE!!!

Way cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Is this just a cool SLA machine? Back at Georgia Tech we just got wind that the ME students were looking for things to run in the SLA machine... as an Industrial Design major, I must have gotten about 3-4K worth of free prototypes done on one of those little machines. I know they were not 5k back then.

I want one, that prints in Titanium!

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Is this just a cool SLA machine? Back at Georgia Tech we just got wind that the ME students were looking for things to run in the SLA machine... as an Industrial Design major, I must have gotten about 3-4K worth of free prototypes done on one of those little machines. I know they were not 5k back then.

I want one, that prints in Titanium!

Drew
Drew, same basic technology but different from traditional SLA. The M-270 from EOS will print in Titanium, also stainless. wanna go in on one? Only ~$800K. If you (or anyone) really needed a custom RP'd metal part I could actually source that for you.. but get your wallet out it'll be 4 digits for sure.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

We have a Titanium RP machine at work as well as a bunch of the SLA machines. The Titanium uses an Electron beam to melt Titanium powder into solid parts, pretty cool stuff. We use all of our machines to produce models for surgical planning and other medically related stuff. We convert CT scans into STL files then produce models in the machines in various plastics or Titanium. The Titanium parts haven't been approved by the gov'ment yet for implantation, but soon enough. You'll be able to get a CT scan, have a model created of your joint, skull, etc, then we'll use that to produce a titanium replacement part for you.

Last edited by MDH33; 05-14-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

All this stuff is really cool!
Isn't titanium powder pretty pricey?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

I imagine we might approach the Nakman cool factor, but it will be hard to actually achieve....

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!