Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default FJ40 backspacing! AHHH Please help.

Please help I am going crazy.

I am trying to order a new wheel for my trailer that matches the cruisers... 76 fj40. I know the factory backspacing is 3.5".

I also know you should never exceed 4" and many manufactureres make a 3.75". That said...

I have put a tape, ruler and level on my wheels and I keep getting 3 7/8", I am going crazy. I want it to match what I have so I think that the 3.75 is the best choice. I am only looking for a white wagon wheel style wheel here nothing fancy.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

The best way (always) is to test-fit the rims. If you're mail-ordering them, I don't know what to suggest. I always thought 3.75 *was* the factory backspacing number.

There is supposedly 'one' brand/model of white spoke wheel that fits a disk-brake FJ perfectly, and that would be in the TLCA email list archives. I thought JT Outfitters claimed to stock a white wagon wheel that fit, too. Your corner 'Discount Tire' won't have anything in stock that will work - I'm pretty sure of that. Unless the seller is a 'cruiserhead blood-brother, don't take anyone's word that a given rim will fit - there are too many that don't.

Steve
Old 05-09-2007, 03:15 PM

3.75" backspacing is pretty common for white wagon wheels on a 15x8. 3 5/8" is another pretty common backspacing in the wagon wheels off the shelf. The 15x7s can be as little as 3.25" backspacing in the white wagon wheels.

Are you measuring from the outside edge of the rim or the tire?

3.5" backspacing is factory.

I'm with Steve, go to a local tire store and test fit and pick it up there. Unless you need a custom backspaced wheel the savings will be really slim on a couple of trailer wheels and it is best to get the right one.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys.

I bought two wheels off Wes here a few months ago, but then I scored two perfectly new MTRs. I would like to have the same wheel all the way around, so I can rotate them and get more miles before I have to re-up for new tires.

That said, I did measure from where the hub face meets the rim to the inner edge of the wheel, using a straight edge and metal ruler. I have checked my measurement on three wheels, one on the rig, and both of Wes' wheels... all came out the same at 3 7/8"

I think I will go with the 3.75" and see what happens, Summit Racing carries them for 47 bucks a pop... does anyone know of a local shop that might have them in stock? White Wagon wheels.

Thanks guys and gals!

Drew

Old 05-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Believe it or not...

I've had good luck with our local BIG O Tires on s. Boulder Road. They are friendly, and I think at least one of the guys is a Jeeper, and we always start talking about our rigs, etc..

I went there with my 60 to get a replacement spare wheel...I went to the counter and said, "See those wheels? I need another one just like them" He ordered it up - fits perfect on my 60.

HTH
Old 05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

the problem arises in the design of some of the rims. 4wpw used to sell a white wagon that fit because it was just a thick spoke design. they've now gone to a thinner steel, with a lip on the back, that doesnt' fit.

if you've got wagons, i've got two 15x8 white wagons i'll get rid of cheap. these are the old style that fit over teh calipers with no issues. ran them on my 60 for about two years, but went back to stock chromies.
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Technically back spacing is from the outside of the bead well to the axle flange mating surface of the wheel center. If you are measuring from the wheel weight lip that would account for the extra .25"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Thanks guys.

I bought two wheels off Wes here a few months ago, but then I scored two perfectly new MTRs. I would like to have the same wheel all the way around, so I can rotate them and get more miles before I have to re-up for new tires.

That said, I did measure from where the hub face meets the rim to the inner edge of the wheel, using a straight edge and metal ruler. I have checked my measurement on three wheels, one on the rig, and both of Wes' wheels... all came out the same at 3 7/8"

I think I will go with the 3.75" and see what happens, Summit Racing carries them for 47 bucks a pop... does anyone know of a local shop that might have them in stock? White Wagon wheels.

Thanks guys and gals!

Drew
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

It looks like American Racing makes any backspacing you want, they will custom order them no charge.

Pretty

thanks!

Drew

Old 05-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

were you not able to use those 2
TLCA#4180
Old 05-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

I always thought 3 5/8 was the stock backspacing. I ordered some 15" American Racing wheels for my project 40 with 3" backspacing. They rubbed on my rear Chevy calipers, which I had to grind down.