Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post

X2 on the time and labor to put this together...Much appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this.. very informative!
No worries. It was my pleasure.

When i first started looking into setting up lockers and gears, there was really no info on the boards. The only site that seemed to have any good tech was ZUK's. At least this will give folks a starting point, and they can see if it is something they wish to tackle or not.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 05-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Next, place the carrier and ring gear into the housing, making sure to remember the bearing races
Heh! Voice of experience? :-)

Fantastic write-up. It's fascinating to see the differences between a mini/runner 3rd and a Land Cruiser 3rd. I remember working on my daughter's 85 runner 3rd and noticing a lot of differences, yours is different from a 1st gen runner 3rd.

I was also noticing that you didn't *seem* to have the 5 photo-per-post restriction, it seemed to be all one post. How did you do that?

Again, excellent documentation, and I loved Drew's OBA!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Heh! Voice of experience? :-)

Fantastic write-up. It's fascinating to see the differences between a mini/runner 3rd and a Land Cruiser 3rd. I remember working on my daughter's 85 runner 3rd and noticing a lot of differences, yours is different from a 1st gen runner 3rd.

I was also noticing that you didn't *seem* to have the 5 photo-per-post restriction, it seemed to be all one post. How did you do that?

Again, excellent documentation, and I loved Drew's OBA!
Voice of experinece on the front one i did a year ago. I couldn't figure out why my shims were making no difference in the backlash settings!

As for the differences between the 85 and 87, not sure on the third...From what i could tell, this was pretty standard for the 8" rear ends that came on all the IFS runners. However, i don't know about the solid axled 84's and 85's.

As for the picture quota, i'm again not sure. I typed the entire thing in Microsoft Word first, since i did not do it all in one sitting. Then just copied and pasted. I wasn't even aware there was a limit, so perhaps it let me slide!!

I must say again, Drew's help was invaulable. He really knows his stuff, and was able to get me through this without any "major" slowdowns. He is also an excellent dash board "modifier" if you give him a go with a dremel!

Had to love the comedic relief too. Nothing better than a great friend to help you out with some laughs when you are ready to beat things with a torque wrench.

Generation Dead
Old 05-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

I assume you did not change ring and pinion? If you did, you need to also set the pinion preload. For that you need a torque meter. Just a little more info for the people wanting to save this.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

no, did not change the ring and pinion. Just a simple carrier replacement.

Generation Dead
Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
no, did not change the ring and pinion. Just a simple carrier replacement.
Cool. Whenever I've had to replace the pinion bearing, it's been quite a PITA to get the race off the pinion, takes a BIG honkin' press. Getting the new one seated is a lot easier as you can pull it down over the shoulder with the companion flange nut. But as Christo noted, you need the inch-pound torque wrench to make sure the preload is in spec. Older Land Cruisers like mine use shims, newer ones use a crush sleeve.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Cool. Whenever I've had to replace the pinion bearing, it's been quite a PITA to get the race off the pinion, takes a BIG honkin' press. Getting the new one seated is a lot easier as you can pull it down over the shoulder with the companion flange nut. But as Christo noted, you need the inch-pound torque wrench to make sure the preload is in spec. Older Land Cruisers like mine use shims, newer ones use a crush sleeve.
i do have an in-lb torque wrench and have set pinion preload before...Just not this time...however, i've not installed a gearset start to finish before.

Generation Dead
Old 05-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Actually you need a torque meter and not a torque wrench. The torque meter shows you the torque required to turn the pinion, not the torque required to fasten a nut.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ahh...Didn't know that. Thanks for the info, it is good to know. Glad i didn't do that too this time, or i would have messed that up!

Generation Dead
Old 05-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
Actually you need a torque meter and not a torque wrench. The torque meter shows you the torque required to turn the pinion, not the torque required to fasten a nut.
Technically, there is no difference between a torque meter and a torque wrench, other than a wrench may have a setpoint rather than a dial, and a meter may have a dial rather than a setpoint. Either way, they both measure torque. Torque is a vector, and it can be measured as with any other vector or scaler. One measures things with meters, and a torque wrench measures torque, and as such is a meter.

In the case of setting preload, you are still measuring the torque; not the torque to set the nut, but the torque to freely turn the pinion. Both measurements are important, and are measured separately.

Metrology (the science of measuring things) is a very basic fundamental of physics, and has a bazillion applications in the automotive world..