Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Time is my least plentiful resource right now... well, money isn't exactly falling out of the sky either. But if I get a moment in the next week or so I could pop over.

Check the spark, pull the float bowls and look for varnish, smell the tank for bad gas. If you have bad gas and varnish in the carbs, but have a spark, you just need to overhaul the carbs - THOROUGHLY - and clean out the tanks, and fill the oil injection reservoirs with good Yamalube injector oil, and give the kickstarter a whack. Then listen for excessive piston slap or motor noise.

A new piston kit is no big deal, if the bore is clean and not scarred. Even if it is, a first over rebore is no big deal. Get a service manual. Very easy to work on.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

That would be way cool - I see some 1554 in your future.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Time is my least plentiful resource right now... well, money isn't exactly falling out of the sky either. But if I get a moment in the next week or so I could pop over.

Check the spark, pull the float bowls and look for varnish, smell the tank for bad gas. If you have bad gas and varnish in the carbs, but have a spark, you just need to overhaul the carbs - THOROUGHLY - and clean out the tanks, and fill the oil injection reservoirs with good Yamalube injector oil, and give the kickstarter a whack. Then listen for excessive piston slap or motor noise.

A new piston kit is no big deal, if the bore is clean and not scarred. Even if it is, a first over rebore is no big deal. Get a service manual. Very easy to work on.

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 05-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I am probably too far away.. and quite busy these days, but you are welcome to reach out.. you're probably better off will r.c. (redchili)

here is my basic list on every 2-stroke I get:

clean piston/head
soak/clean/rebuild carb
de-coke exhaust (google it - you can use lye or a torch)
tighten every bolt

usually this takes care of most issues, and will lead you to any real problems
Old 05-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

I had a '70 CT-1 and a '73 CT-3 and the things I had to figure out with help (and a manual) were how the oil injection works and the carb needle deal.

There's a wobble-plate pump and when the engine is running, oil is slowly pumped in. When you open the throttle, you increase the excursion of the wobble plate, and oil is pumped in faster. It's a clever design, and all goes on under the right-side engine cover.

The carbuertor should be cleaned and inspected, and the needle that hangs down in the middle of the sliding sleeve deal has three positions - this controls mid-range mixture. I think there are either jets or screws for idle and wide-open throttle. If any of these are plugged, you'll get a bike that either won't run wide open or won't idle.

Neither of my bikes were fast, but when you drive an FJ40, anything you can wind up to 6000 rpm is fun. If they smoke a lot under throttle, you can back off the oil a bit on the pump adjuster - they shouldn't look like a mosquito fogger. If you suspect the entire auto-oiling thing is messed up, you can premix oil and gas and just put that in the tank. HAving said that, if there is no blue smoke at all, you could be running the bike with no oil, and that is badness.

My '70 had electric start, and like most bikes of that era, the battery charging by the combined starter/alternator was weak, and even a new battery had trouble starting the bike.

One of my bikes only had 1200 miles and looked like new - it was very sharp after I resto'ed it. Have fun - these bikes are a good low-cost way to expand your gearhead skills.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

Had a dirt bike weekend - we're concentrating on the 175, so pulled the engine, cleaned it up inside and out, checked the piston/rings installed new gaskets - all looked pretty good.
Cleaned the carb - it was already pretty clean, and put everything back together.
One of the studs in the exhaust port had previously been broken off and one of the pos had tried to get it out - messed it up pretty good - a little jb weld and a new stud and it seems to be holding fine.
Also, the lower throttle cable is old and brittle - Martin, I may have to use one of your connections for parts....
Anyway, tried to start it, but no spark...do you need a battery to start? I didn't think so, considering it's a kick start, but going to buy one today and try again.
Checked the plugs and the wire - both ok - will install battery and check points tonight - keep you posted....

Pics coming....

1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.

[/font]
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

No battery required. Possibly a toasted CDI?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

be careful there bill, some require batt for signal completion...
Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Not the DTs IIRC
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 05-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Have ordered a flywheel puller so we can clean the area behind the magneto and access the points. Also ordered a bettery to check the electricals. Hopefully will receive the parts towards the end of the week and update the thread then - pictures are coming......

[/font]
Old 05-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pics.....
Attached Images

[/font]