Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 80 Series K&N vs. OEM Air Filter

Not sure if this is tech or chat...

I was doing some PM on the '97 FZJ80 today. While waiting for the AT fluid to drain out I decided to put in my new OEM Air Filter (thanks CDan) and take out whatever the PO had in there.

BTW, I know most folks say to remove the air cleaner hose so you don't crack it but I've found that by simply loosening the clamp at the throttle body you can rotate the hose and the air cleaner cap enough to easily remove the air filter without putting stress on the hose.

Anyway, when I pulled the filter out I noticed a fair amount of oily grime on both the top and the bottom of the air filter and in the bottom of the can. I recognized the look of the filter as that of a K&N and sure enough, when I wiped away the grime from the top of the air filter it was clearly marked K&N. The other thing I noticed was that the size of the K&N air filter was considerably smaller than the OEM air filter.

I've read various threads on MUD regarding K&N air filters and about not using them due to the oil in the filter getting into the hose, MAF, etc. Based on what I saw I would have to agree 100% with those that warn against using a K&N (ran one for years on my '99 Durango thinking it was the best air filter out there ).

Here are some pictures showing the obvious size difference between the filters and of the grime that I wiped off the air filter and out of the air filter can. The shop wipe with the oil on it is the one I used to wipe off the filter. The other two were used to clean out the air filter can. I used BOTH sides of the shop wipes and the other side looked about the same as what you see grime wise

P.S. Anyone want a K&N air filter before I toss it? FREE but let me know quick

Attached Images

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 05-20-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Jeff, I'll take it. I'd like to clean it out and run some highly subjective street tests with an A/B comparison.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Jeff, I'll take it. I'd like to clean it out and run some highly subjective street tests with an A/B comparison.
It's all yours Matt . Want me to bring it to the next meeting?

I don't have a K&N air cleaner kit anymore (went with the Durango when I sold it) but I think they're only like $20 or you can always use other items. FWIW I never noticed any improvement on my Durango. But I guess when you are talking only an ~11 HP increase (per K&N) and stock the 5.9L Durango put out 235 HP I'm not sure what I was thinking . I had both the FIPK Stage I (just the air filter) and then the FIPK Stage II (open cone filter with the shroud and intake hose). Although with the Stage II you could hear the difference (big sucking sound ).

Oh, and the filter itself looks pretty darn clean. The grime was mostly located on the top and bottom of the filter and in the bottom of the can...But then again the filter on my Durango always looked clean as well.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Next meeting is great. I have a cleaner kit already. My understanding is that the K&N may make a difference on the street, but it's less effective on a dusty trail. I'd like to mess with it a bit and see what I come up with. Thanks!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

You don't want to run a K&N filter. do a search on Mud and you will see why.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 05-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ditto. I have run K&Ns on several vehicles including my wife's street-going BMW motorcycle. Some will say they pass dust only if you don't keep up with cleaning, but I have found they do regardless of whether new, freshly cleaned, etc. I have found fine dust in the intake after the filter.

I currently run a K&N on the Chili mostly because there is no longer any such thing as a stock filter for it. However, I run the K&N foam prefilter, oiled with NoToil oil (fantastic stuff, sink and water cleanup, yet waterproof). Seems to do acceptably but there is no substitute for a paper filter in an airbox.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Back in the 80scool/lcool days, someone (probably from down under) advocated a simple test: But a blob of grease in the intake (after the filter), then drive for a while. Everyone who tried it quickly had dust/dirt on the grease.

I'm sure that with the larger pores, there's less pressure drop across the K&N (given filters of the same surface area). Based on the pictures above, the OEM has significantly more surface area, though (deeper folds, larger filter diameter).

You won't find a K&N on my rig -- not even for evaluation!

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Good move ditching that thing Corsair... they are not good. did you clean out the tuna can?

And coincidentally I tried washing my paper one yesterday, the water didn't seem to make any of the dirt leave, and I swished it up & down about 50x. I'm just going to get a new one...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
...I tried washing my paper one yesterday, the water didn't seem to make any of the dirt leave, and I swished it up & down about 50x. I'm just going to get a new one...
Did you try compressed air (inside to out)? I've got my "spare" sitting in the garage awaiting a blow-out. I just assumed it would be like other filters, so didn't worry.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I didn't want to sit there all day blasting it, I guess I could have done a better job. The dark dusty areas just became dark and mud-like in the water, but then when it dried it was just dark and dusty again.

www.gamiviti.com