Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
My understanding is that the K&N may make a difference on the street, but it's less effective on a dusty trail. I'd like to mess with it a bit and see what I come up with. Thanks!
Word is the dirtier a K&N gets the better it is supposed to work . You're really only suppose to "clean" them only so often which IIRC isn't near as often as you would replace a regular paper filter.

I would fathom a guess that this is because the filter gets clogged up and subsequently less crap can pass through over time
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Good move ditching that thing Corsair... they are not good. did you clean out the tuna can?
I surely did

The top right and bottom shop wipes in the above pictures are what came out of the tuna can. Found no such stuff in the LX when I took out the aftermarket paper filter that was in it and put in an OEM filter.

K&N does state to not over oil the filters when you clean them but that is subjective and more often than not people assume more is better...I can only guess the PPO felt that way. I know it wasn't the PO who did this (realtor guy than knew nothing about vehicles) and according to him the guy he bought the 80 from was a Cruiser nut

On a side note, it was nice seeing bright red ATF coming out during the AT drain so I just did a drain and fill on the 80 as opposed to a full 20 qt swap like I did on the LX
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

there's oil in the cleaner because whomever serviced it over oiled it. a common issue. you're only supposed to get it damp, not soak it with oil. many people spray it until the entire thing is pink because that's what they look like when they come from the factory. after you clean them, put enough oil to get a light pink shade, but it will be much whiter than a new k & n filter.

i run k&n's in everything because of their life. i don't make a lot of money and have way too many vehicles to be spending $25/vehicle every six months or so.

the minute amounts of dirt that might get passed them will find a way into the engine anyways. of course, i don't run one of them new fangled sensitive motors...everything i've got is junkyard/tractor stuff that isn't easily effected by the smallest amount of dust.

i also don't run synthetics, i run fram oil filters, valvoline oil, plain jane marine grease in my hubs, and whatever 90wt shoco has in stock. while i agree that there are some things where you shouldn't buy the cheapest stuff out there, i think too many people take a lot of it way too seriously.
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post

i run k&n's in everything because of their life. i don't make a lot of money and have way too many vehicles to be spending $25/vehicle every six months or so.

the minute amounts of dirt that might get passed them will find a way into the engine anyways. of course, i don't run one of them new fangled sensitive motors...everything i've got is junkyard/tractor stuff that isn't easily effected by the smallest amount of dust.

i also don't run synthetics, i run fram oil filters, valvoline oil, plain jane marine grease in my hubs, and whatever 90wt shoco has in stock. while i agree that there are some things where you shouldn't buy the cheapest stuff out there, i think too many people take a lot of it way too seriously.
Hear Hear.. Couldn't have said it better
Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:

HERESY!!!

If you were on MUD, you wouldn't merely be flamed, you'd be nuked, for such utterances!

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Yeah. but you nickel and dimers need to take into acct water to spray out the filter, cleaner and new oil and beer consumed while waiting for the cleaner to set in and the filter to dry. It really isn't that *MUCH* cheaper. I have one in my camry but I prefer paper. Once i'm out of oil and cleaner i'm going back to paper. I don't like K&N.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

My father once said 'The brand of oil isn't nearly as important as keeping some in there' - and I have met folks that go on and on about using only Valvoline or some such and then also admit that they let it run low on occasion.

I wrote K+N years ago, asking about filter efficiency, and they sent me a photocopy of a test conducted on a K+N filter by a company in England. The test was paid for by K+N, and was an efficiency test on the '95% largest particles that were typically trapped by the filter'. The test results were badly written, and of course mentioned nothing about 'the other 5%'. I thought if this report was the best K+N could do, I would part my relationship with them. They sent a paper copy, and I don't have it anymore.

It would be nice to see Four Wheeler or Car Craft do an objective test on a K+N filter instead of another error-ridden 'what hits and what fits' tire guide.

Steve
Old 05-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

I just wish I could find a full-blown foam filter for my truck, a la what I run in the Nuclear Thunderpig (Honda XR650R). It gets EVERYthing, becomes nasty nasty dirty (the images after riding the Kokopelli Trail are fresh in my mind), yet behind it the airbox is spotless. And it cleans up with NoToil detergent in the kitchen sink. And fresh NoToil oil as soon as it dries, squeeze it, plop it into position, good as new.

I want a foam truck filter!

(I am close with the K&N prefilter, but it is not as fine a filter as the version on the bike, and it uses a regular K&N as a sort of filter holder... )
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
there's oil in the cleaner because whomever serviced it over oiled it. a common issue. you're only supposed to get it damp, not soak it with oil. many people spray it until the entire thing is pink because that's what they look like when they come from the factory. after you clean them, put enough oil to get a light pink shade, but it will be much whiter than a new k & n filter.
Agreed and based on what the one I have looks like, Matt may never have to oil it again
TLCA #17037

:

Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I just wish I could find a full-blown foam filter for my truck, a la what I run in the Nuclear Thunderpig (Honda XR650R). It gets EVERYthing, becomes nasty nasty dirty (the images after riding the Kokopelli Trail are fresh in my mind), yet behind it the airbox is spotless. And it cleans up with NoToil detergent in the kitchen sink. And fresh NoToil oil as soon as it dries, squeeze it, plop it into position, good as new.

I want a foam truck filter!

(I am close with the K&N prefilter, but it is not as fine a filter as the version on the bike, and it uses a regular K&N as a sort of filter holder... )
I thought the general consensus is that foam filters trap the least amount of particals? Hence the reason you can't get them for autos.
TLCA#4180