Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM
FJBen's Avatar
FJBen FJBen is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 893
Default Wheel Stud replacment

Just put some new wheels/tires on my 40....bling

Met up with Uncle Ben, Isotel and andy (thanks for the tires and putting up with my mistake! )

Got the 37's on and mounted, but the studs aren't as long as I'd like. I found a part number for some longer studs so I think I'm set there.

The question is, I've heard that you can get those studs off/on without having to pull the axles...is this true?

and the obligatory poser shot....
Attached Images
 
__________________
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:29 AM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 9,943
Default

I believe yes, if you have drums. Absolutely everything I know is in this thread.. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=3283
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 AM
FJBen's Avatar
FJBen FJBen is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I believe yes, if you have drums. Absolutely everything I know is in this thread.. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=3283
Good info! Gonna go pick some up at lunch.
__________________
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

Purty 40. And that's coming from a minitruck guy. Very cool.
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:33 PM
FJBen's Avatar
FJBen FJBen is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Purty 40. And that's coming from a minitruck guy. Very cool.
thanks! she's looking better, but the pics make her look pretty nice



nuther question...

Longfields...I'm not going to have the cash to go full on 30splines...whats going to break first...inners or birfs? I have minitruck knuckles/setup and was thinking about stepping up to 27 spline birfs for the time, then later upgrading the cage/inners to 30 spline.

thoughts? Or just save and go 30 spline which IS the right way.
__________________
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,145
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

If you upgrade to Longs first on stock axles the next week link of course will be your axle. If you upgrade the inner and run stock Birfs you have gained nothing and when your Birf blows it will strip the splines on your new axle. To save money your cheapest upgrade it FJ-60/straight axle mini truck birfs. They are a tad thicker and have been heat treated. Easy upgrade but will require grinding the bearing ears on your front housing ends to fit the thicker bell. They will also be too short to use the snap ring in the hub. Stronger yet and next upgrade higher would be to take your inners axles and your new 60/mini birfs somewhere and have them Cryogenicly treated. Thats what Bobby Long began his stardom in the Cruiser axle biz with!





Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
thanks! she's looking better, but the pics make her look pretty nice



nuther question...

Longfields...I'm not going to have the cash to go full on 30splines...whats going to break first...inners or birfs? I have minitruck knuckles/setup and was thinking about stepping up to 27 spline birfs for the time, then later upgrading the cage/inners to 30 spline.

thoughts? Or just save and go 30 spline which IS the right way.
__________________
KØUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM
FJBen's Avatar
FJBen FJBen is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
If you upgrade to Longs first on stock axles the next week link of course will be your axle. If you upgrade the inner and run stock Birfs you have gained nothing and when your Birf blows it will strip the splines on your new axle. To save money your cheapest upgrade it FJ-60/straight axle mini truck birfs. They are a tad thicker and have been heat treated. Easy upgrade but will require grinding the bearing ears on your front housing ends to fit the thicker bell. They will also be too short to use the snap ring in the hub. Stronger yet and next upgrade higher would be to take your inners axles and your new 60/mini birfs somewhere and have them Cryogenicly treated. Thats what Bobby Long began his stardom in the Cruiser axle biz with!
I actually am running Axles from a straight axle mini....hmmm....do you think thats a worthwhile approach? Currently I'm unlocked up front but eventually will be going ARB up there. I know they are 4340's but have to be stronger than stock.

Very good info!
__________________
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
RockRunner's Avatar
RockRunner RockRunner is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roxborough
Posts: 4,399
Default

Those tires look great on your cruiser, and to think I could have bought those.......;-0
__________________
Thanks T aka Tom KR0MPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story


TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Stronger yet and next upgrade higher would be to take your inners axles and your new 60/mini birfs somewhere and have them Cryogenicly treated. Thats what Bobby Long began his stardom in the Cruiser axle biz with!
That, and with a welded ring on the inside. That's what I'm running (successfully to date, knock on wood).
I had no idea mini axles would fit in a 40- there must be differences in years, I offered my short side to Treeroot in Moab, but it was all wrong...

If the mini birf is stouter than the 40 birf, no wonder 40 birfs bust!
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.