Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Motorcycle School?

It has been way too many years since I used to ride my college roommate's Ninja around the neighborhood or rode the 4-wheeler through the woods. I have been getting the itch to add a motorcycle to the garage, but want to get some training and experience first before I decide to make the plunge. Anyone suggest a good school I can get a 'beginner's' class taken and get my license? Weekdays would be preferred, especially 1/2 days. Thanks!!

T
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 05-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

check with your local community college, or high schools to find out if there are courses there (they don't host them, but the companies that hold them usually do them there). i definitely recommend them because you take your riding test there, so no waiting at the dmv (you still have to take written at dmv, but it's only like 12 questions) and you usually get a 25% discount on your insurance.

the reason we can only hold the rally on certain weekends is because every other weekend, there's a motorcycle class at the jeffco stadium. if you're in the area, cruise by and if the motorcycles are there, just ask the instructor for info.
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

http://www.abateofcolo.org/
TLCA#4180
Old 05-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Check out the Motorcycle Safety Foundation site as well:

http://www.msf-usa.org/

ATGATT

Old 05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

iron buffalo motorcycle school http://www.mcsafety.com/

did a great job with the wife..

although most do it over the weekend. The normal schedule is friday night (freebie at iron buffalo) saturday 8 hours, sunday like 4 hours then the course, then you cert.

Drive down to dmv and get your license if you pass, and % off your insurance by most carriers..

I am about to do the advanced course for grins..
Old 05-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

+1 on the community college thing. I should know what they call those classes, but I don't at the moment. It's usually a Friday/Saturday gig and costs about $175-250. They'll give you a little 100-250 or something to ride. I rode a 50cc Honda Monkey before I could ride a bike. I'm hoping to do the Star School or something like that next year.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Rock Stacker

I used Abate as they had a 1.5 day advance class for people who had already been riding to get the certificate so you only have to take the written test. My cousin just took the course at Fay Myers on Arapahoe and really learned a lot as he has never ridden before. You can call Fay Myers and they have the info, they may even offer a discount if you buy a bike from them.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

The MSF course or equivalent takes your odds from first year level to second year level, all in a weekend. Which means you actually beat a 50% likelihood of being in an accident.

Another common acronym among experienced cyclists is ATGATT: All The Gear, All The Time. As in, dress for the crash, not for the ride. By 'experienced', I am referring to those who observe the mistakes of others...

Don't EVEN let me see you among the flip-flop-wearing, T shirt and shorts crowd... I am even subpar by wearing jeans with my full jacket, full face helmet, MC boots, gloves...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
The MSF course or equivalent takes your odds from first year level to second year level, all in a weekend. Which means you actually beat a 50% likelihood of being in an accident.

Another common acronym among experienced cyclists is ATGATT: All The Gear, All The Time. As in, dress for the crash, not for the ride. By 'experienced', I am referring to those who observe the mistakes of others...

Don't EVEN let me see you among the flip-flop-wearing, T shirt and shorts crowd... I am even subpar by wearing jeans with my full jacket, full face helmet, MC boots, gloves...
no worries there, I do not plan on being one of them.

I saw a lady driving a scooter to work this morning in her heels and skirt...doing 40 down a side street...no helmet of course...

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Seems to be plenty of good places out there. For now, I am taking a 1 day refresher course at Black Bag on Colfax. Only $50 and if I decide to for the full 3 day course for $195, the $50 counts towards that price. Pretty cool.

Thanks again!

T
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 05-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Don't EVEN let me see you among the flip-flop-wearing, T shirt and shorts crowd...
I think Squids is the word you're looking for.