Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Memorial Day Weekend Run?

Just wanted to see if there was any interest.

I'm looking to run something of medium difficulty, and was thinking of a couple different places.

My first choice would be spring creek, but it still be completely snow bound. I talked with my folks, who live at 9000 feet over by Bailey, and all of the northern slopes up there are clear, even the ones above them. However, Spring Creek is also very shaded.

I've heard folks talk about Eagle Rock as being a fun trail, but that involves a drive to the springs, which, with gas costing what it does, may be too far.

Kelly flats is now open, and snow free, but again is a long drive, and the Chutes look far too hard.

Lastly is likely out, again for gasoline, would be Chinamen's. I've heard it is snow free, and i'd be game for going, if others are okay.

So, first i suppose is, can anyone go? Second would be, where would you like to go?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Trail Ready

Colorado Landcruisers are planning on hitting Lefthand/Carnage on sunday. Possibly Plane Crash as well.

Info at ih8mud.com
http://www.coloradolandcruisers.org

86 4runner
Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I saw that...figured it was easier to park at the mall.

I thought it might be too short of notice....No biggie. when i figure out where i'm going, i'll post up, anyone is welcome to join me.

Generation Dead
Old 05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

soccer - 4 kid games, 1 rapids game
Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I'm planning on running up behind Rollinsville on Saturday morning. If you want to come, meet at the Rollinsville Stage Stop at 9:00. Then headed towards East Moffat Portal, will turn off at Tolland and see how far up Mammoth Gulch we can get towards Kingston Peak.. unless there's 100 snow shoers then will blow that off.

Either way back down and head up Rollins Pass to see how far up we can get towards Jenny Creek. If there's no snow, run all of Jenny Creek. If there's lots of snow, then run until we get stuck, get out, then turn back. Hope to be home by 1:00..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Yeah, I saw that...figured it was easier to park at the mall.

I thought it might be too short of notice....No biggie. when i figure out where i'm going, i'll post up, anyone is welcome to join me.
I'm considering the Carnage run...but honestly I'm not in that much mood for the parking lot for a trail that is that short and a good hike for me (I spend all day for the trip for relatively little wheeling).

I know a group did try Spring Creek a couple weeks ago and hit a snow bank and had to turn around...probably snowed again last night so that's not good.

I was actually thinking that Winding Stairs might be a fun trail despite the relative lack of rock crawling...I miss Hacket and Longwater and this looks to have that general flavor without the river crossings.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=156

Of course, I live in Monument and it's just up Mt. Herman road and then to Winding Stairs, which I think would be faster than hitting Rampart Range out of Castle Rock and running 30 miles on the dirt road for anybody coming out of Denver. I think this would be a relatively light day since the trail is so close to I-25 if you add Mt. Herman. Any interest?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Sounds like Rollins is melted enough so you can reach the JC trailhead. It sounds like the drifts on RP are in the same place as usual so whatever the case it sounds like fun! Root and I have chatted a tad and there WILL be a St. Fuaw run soon to try and bust as much Jenny Creek trail as possible so we can do our part in keeping folks on the trail. I will post up a small blip as to when but if I post up too many details it can't be a St. Fuaw run now can it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I'm planning on running up behind Rollinsville on Saturday morning. If you want to come, meet at the Rollinsville Stage Stop at 9:00. Then headed towards East Moffat Portal, will turn off at Tolland and see how far up Mammoth Gulch we can get towards Kingston Peak.. unless there's 100 snow shoers then will blow that off.

Either way back down and head up Rollins Pass to see how far up we can get towards Jenny Creek. If there's no snow, run all of Jenny Creek. If there's lots of snow, then run until we get stuck, get out, then turn back. Hope to be home by 1:00..
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Carnage is fun but I would rather have wisdom teeth pulled without numming than go up there on a weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
I'm considering the Carnage run...but honestly I'm not in that much mood for the parking lot for a trail that is that short and a good hike for me (I spend all day for the trip for relatively little wheeling).

I know a group did try Spring Creek a couple weeks ago and hit a snow bank and had to turn around...probably snowed again last night so that's not good.

I was actually thinking that Winding Stairs might be a fun trail despite the relative lack of rock crawling...I miss Hacket and Longwater and this looks to have that general flavor without the river crossings.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=156

Of course, I live in Monument and it's just up Mt. Herman road and then to Winding Stairs, which I think would be faster than hitting Rampart Range out of Castle Rock and running 30 miles on the dirt road for anybody coming out of Denver. I think this would be a relatively light day since the trail is so close to I-25 if you add Mt. Herman. Any interest?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Planning sunday at noon at the downieville gas station.

Generation Dead
Old 05-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Carnage is fun but I would rather have wisdom teeth pulled without numming than go up there on a weekend!
Yea, I've come to the same conclusion, but up for some alternatives