Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Notices

Old 10-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

No action shots, sorry. I was too busy sliding backwards uncontrollably into the trees
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

thread hijack....if you need it Shawn, I'll save this panel for you. This is off an '83 FJ60. Looks like maybe the bumper cap and the indent may be longer though.
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks like you guys had a fun time.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 10-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

None of my pics really came out.. too dark, too fuzzy.. we were taking them with the video camera so what can you expect. I do have some video cool footage shot from inside the truck while on the run, just cruising through the snowy woods stuff, nothing crazy. I don't have the means to upload it though. But like most runs, when it's time to dig or strap or something I'm always outside with gloves on, camera always ends up being an after thought. But I'll bring the camera to the next meeting if anyone wants to see some snow.

edit: make that the premeeting.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice trip! That picture of the group shot with the snow is sweet. My pictures night usually come out pretty bad also.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Rising Sun member

For us unlocked folk (well I guess I'll just talk about myself, don't know what was happening down below me), the hard-packed snow and the steep hills and switchbacks made things a little interesting. Oh and the 4/32s tread depth on my tires didn't help either . Tire chains would have helped... CJ7 Matt used quite a bit of momentum on that first hill where the white truck was, it was pretty cool him barrelling past me snow flying and engine roaring...

Got used to sliding backwards on ice I guess. My dad and I ended up doing just that about 8 times for about 100 feet each time above the second switchback (and created an ice rink for the rest of you trying to get up to that little flat spot, and then once I got above the whoops I just had to go throttle down, luckily grabbed second when I had the chance, and barely tractored up to the road after flying back and forth on the trail (no power steering, all fours spinning, ruts in the trail, basically getting knocked around) . What a great run. Lots of just gun it and go!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-31-2005, 07:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Next time have your dad drive the turbo 80, just think how fun you two would have Matt. later robbie
Old 10-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default lessons learned...

Well...what a run!! As hard as it is to look at the damage to my previously perrrrfect FJ60. It could have been alot worse, I think I'm actually lucky the Chevy stopped me before I carreened backwards into the woods.

Lesson #1: Pay closer attention to where the guys in front of you stop. I shouldn't have stopped on the hill.

Lesson #2: If you do stop on an icy, snowy hill - throw a strap on the guy in front of you who's on flat ground.

Lesson #3: it's just metal and plastic.

Lesson #4: Maybe I could use this as justification to buy a winch? (I wish)

TreeRoot: THANKS!! I think want a peice from that 60 of yours. I'm going to have someone look at it to fix'er up a bit and let you know what is needed. It punched in the quarter pretty good and I can't open the lower tailgate the way it's bent.

WHAT A MEMORABLE RUN! and Thanks for your support in this trying time

-Shawn
Old 10-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Shawn have you tried to bend your quarter panel out any? Was thinking that you could use a bottle jack between the frame & body to press a bar outwards, just to move it enough to open the tail gate. Drive it over tonight if you want to try that.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Shawn,
I totally sympathize with you about your damage! That Chev tried to suck me in too! When my rear started sliding right for it I hit the skinny peddle and my rear just barely missed the Chity.....whew! Guess I need to go back up and get the license plate # and see if I can help the owner get it out or push it on downhill! It's in a bad spot! Good luck on the repair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60
Well...what a run!! As hard as it is to look at the damage to my previously perrrrfect FJ60. It could have been alot worse, I think I'm actually lucky the Chevy stopped me before I carreened backwards into the woods.

Lesson #1: Pay closer attention to where the guys in front of you stop. I shouldn't have stopped on the hill.

Lesson #2: If you do stop on an icy, snowy hill - throw a strap on the guy in front of you who's on flat ground.

Lesson #3: it's just metal and plastic.

Lesson #4: Maybe I could use this as justification to buy a winch? (I wish)

TreeRoot: THANKS!! I think want a peice from that 60 of yours. I'm going to have someone look at it to fix'er up a bit and let you know what is needed. It punched in the quarter pretty good and I can't open the lower tailgate the way it's bent.

WHAT A MEMORABLE RUN! and Thanks for your support in this trying time

-Shawn
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior