Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
And forums are just forums and he-said-she-said will never hold up in court!

of course not, but if there is no statute to charge you with, then what exactly would hold up in court?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Ya know, the problem with that .pdf is, wheel spacers to increase track width are also illegal. I'm already hosed. And a literal reading of the words would indicate that DOT beadlocks are also illegal!

Methinks that would not hold constitutional muster, but I am no lawyer. So Kevin, are you saying your vehicle had to be towed after a citation? That seems extreme, but if it happened, it happened!
Utah doesn't impose points for traffic infractions only violations so it wasn't worth fighting to me....I sent the check. We did have to leave it on the side of the road and go to Moab to get my trailer! I have heard of others nailed with the same charge in Utah in the past but I haven't heard of it happening for quite some time. I think that was in '93 or '94. I keep copies of tickets so let me see if I can dig that up....

I just remembered....I had drove it out. I used my friends trailer to haul it back to Moab. I went home the back way through Ridgeway.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

I like the beauty ring option...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Pretty sure some folks at CM06 had issues with the Law and said beadlocks, and many of them ended up trailering to trail heads at CM07 because of it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

I will second, or third, the idea to look at stauns. Legal, and locks both beads. In addition, they balance better.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

my truck has no bed, 42's and full width axles. I drove it at CM, and passed a few cops with no issues. I do know at jeep safari they'll pull anyone over. I think the bottom line is no one yet has been able to show they are illegal or not, yet weather or not you get a ticket or hassle depends on the cop and how his day is going. A friend of mine once got a ticket in Penrose for no registration, yet the vehicle had never left the trailer...huh?? His particular explanation made no sense, he said by law they had to be registered or stickered even if being transported on a trailer, yet his explanation regarding race cars is they are "different..." Thankfully courts interpret our laws and not the people out there to enforce them
I also think, from experience, you aren't ever going to deal with that, you get pulled over it'll be for speeding or a headlight out and the cop is going to comment on how sweet your ride looks

I remember the title of the thread, I had them, they were sweet wheels, they would fit you nicely, as they don't require balancing and with the MTR's you've got, you can cruise down the highway at 75 and happily chase elk

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a set of these converted at the end of the year

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT5352T100106.aspx

FWIW
Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nice wheels.
Ya know, the thought of getting fake beadlocks converted to real ones is an interesting thought... when questioned, just whip out the catalog cut sheet. Just make sure the lock ring looks a WHOLE lot like the original.

The whole thing really seems like simple harassment. I've never sweated riding my motorcycle with knobby tires on pavement, and never had an issue. Those are not DOT. Kinda moot these days, as DOT knobbies are getting awfully darn good, but still.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I will second, or third, the idea to look at stauns. Legal, and locks both beads. In addition, they balance better.
Interesting...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Nice wheels.
Ya know, the thought of getting fake beadlocks converted to real ones is an interesting thought... when questioned, just whip out the catalog cut sheet. Just make sure the lock ring looks a WHOLE lot like the original.

The whole thing really seems like simple harassment. I've never sweated riding my motorcycle with knobby tires on pavement, and never had an issue. Those are not DOT. Kinda moot these days, as DOT knobbies are getting awfully darn good, but still.

EXACTLY! Just do it....like I said if they want to hassle you they will regardless!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Wincher

Send a message via AIM to Cheese

This is why I encourage people to get fakelocks, keeps the cops guessing.

When I worked at a shop, I had a cop stop and tell me the wheels were sweet.

When I got rear ended in a giant collection of cars on I-25, none of the officers doing reports who scrutinized the truck said anything.

In Moab, it is a toss up. It seems like it depends on the driver and the day.

My 37's are completely out of the fenders, but I have a full bodied, straight truck at this point. Mr. Kimmel's truck should draw a bunch more attention.

As much as I like the idea of the Stauns, you do lock both beads, but you do not get the extra outer ring. Having that huge lip where things are bound to get hammered gives extra strength and piece of mind.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is longing for leaving..."

www.sleeoffroad.com
www.sonoransteel.com