Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

You'll hate a Detroit with a manual transmission (it's manual, right?) on a short wheelbase for road use. Never listen to a long wheebase guy with a slushbox about any automatic locker

ARB both ends. The cost is in the compressor, which you already have. I agree the potential for failure is there, but you drive it on the road so it all comes down to the best balance.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
You'll hate a Detroit with a manual transmission (it's manual, right?) on a short wheelbase for road use. Never listen to a long wheebase guy with a slushbox about any automatic locker

ARB both ends. The cost is in the compressor, which you already have. I agree the potential for failure is there, but you drive it on the road so it all comes down to the best balance.

Sorry son,
Been wheeling,truck pulling and drag racing standards with lockers,spools and welded rears longer than you've been using wheels.

Love Dad....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sorry Dad, gotta rebel. ARB both ends. Best of both worlds! Especially for a multipurpose rig.
Don't do an auto locker on ice, d00d...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Sorry Dad, gotta rebel. ARB both ends. Best of both worlds! Especially for a multipurpose rig.
Don't do an auto locker on ice, d00d...

It's all good! Just be glad I'm only your Uncle! Besides who can argue about ARB's dependability? I know Neil's sure enjoyed his Runner in Moab this year....oh wait....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Geeze....I expect a different opinion but you struck out on the order of all three! IMNSHO
i'm just not impressed with the detroits. too much money, too hard to deal with on the trail, don't like the amount of backlash in them. i've beat on my two aussies and i got two for the price of one detroit.

i'd prefer to have the option of open both ends, but 650 for an arb vs. 250 for an aussie....well, the aussie's in my po' ass price range.
ige tlca #1431
Old 06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
It's all good! Just be glad I'm only your Uncle! Besides who can argue about ARB's dependability? I know Neil's sure enjoyed his Runner in Moab this year....oh wait....
I know I did...
I think Neil puts beer in his diffs, that may have something to do with it.
But seriously, have you ever seen a product that didn't have the occasional lemon?
My son ran a lunchbox locker and scared the peach pits out of himself on sidehills and especially in snow. Loves his elocker in the rear, ARB in the front!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Sorry son,
Been wheeling,truck pulling and drag racing standards with lockers,spools and welded rears longer than you've been using wheels.

Love Dad....

I know, I know...but you don't want your other boy running around in a 40 with a rear Detroit in those winter conditions now do you? Damn thing will be banging around and kicking out the rear every time he shifts around a corner.

I had one o' them Detroits once upon a time...loved it...but it was sittin' behind a slush and AWD in a Currie HP 9 and acted prettier n' a LSD in the worst winter stuff and perfect on the trail.

If she won't see extended winter use and you don't mind it clanging around, I dig the rear auto locker. If you like the skinny pedal on that V8 SWB yer gonna hate it
Old 06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I know I did...
I think Neil puts beer in his diffs, that may have something to do with it.
But seriously, have you ever seen a product that didn't have the occasional lemon?
My son ran a lunchbox locker and scared the peach pits out of himself on sidehills and especially in snow. Loves his elocker in the rear, ARB in the front!

Since I have refrained I'll finish by my chart.

talking rear only
Trail beast = Detroit
trail with some street = Detroit or ARB
Street and trail = ARB or Detroit
Street with some trail = ARB

You can supplement a "lunchbox
locker (LL)" in my choices for Detroit if cost is an issue....however, LL's have so much inherent drive train slop that they can be harsh especially in shorter wheelbase standard trans setups. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...out.

Fronts are a whole different ball game! But I will refrain...
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post

I know, I know...but you don't want your other boy running around in a 40 with a rear Detroit in those winter conditions now do you? Damn thing will be banging around and kicking out the rear every time he shifts around a corner.
i have a lockrite in the rear of my 70. SWB. it's fine you just need to adjust your driving habits a tad and engauge 4wd sooner in the snow. In 4wd mine rear locked is hardly noticable. I also had this lockrite in a 60. Mine doesn't bang around any corner either.

I don't like detroits personally. IMHO if your that hard core weld the rear. if not just about the same money can be spent on an arb sands compressor.

It was fun changing out that detroit on the trail eh UB
TLCA#4180
Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, didn't expect this much from the thread...

This rig is my daily driver year in/out

I'm a little worried about a few things, that is the quirky driving with the auto-locker. Maybe I'm just too much of a but I don't really like a crappy/quirky driving rig...even more so than it already is.

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money til I can put one in the front.

I have a torquey 350 and an SM420...not so smooth shift points I would hate to have it jumping sideways evertime I shift...especially on ice. My wife would amazingly hate it as well.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride