Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

And there you go.

One thing to keep in mind, Wes is SWB but the power characteristics are... steady. Yeah, that's it, steady.

FWIW, my son's peachpitectomies were OFFroad. On the street it was merely annoying. He has a light rear though. The truck does I mean.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post

It was fun changing out that detroit on the trail eh UB
Ever swap out a broken axle on the trail with an ARB? Bout the same as a Detroit as far as PITA c-clip factor!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

I agree Ben, my 40 is my DD and I am saving coin for a set of the ARB's... man it takes a lot of coin! $$$$$$$$

But in the end, I think it is worth it. My rig is not hard core by any means, but it is a great daily driver!

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
Wow, didn't expect this much from the thread...

This rig is my daily driver year in/out

I'm a little worried about a few things, that is the quirky driving with the auto-locker. Maybe I'm just too much of a but I don't really like a crappy/quirky driving rig...even more so than it already is.

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money til I can put one in the front.

I have a torquey 350 and an SM420...not so smooth shift points I would hate to have it jumping sideways evertime I shift...especially on ice. My wife would amazingly hate it as well.
Sounds like a good choice!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I'm a little worried about a few things, that is the quirky driving with the auto-locker. Maybe I'm just too much of a but I don't really like a crappy/quirky driving rig...even more so than it already is.

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money till I can put one in the front.
I actually have only ever had Lock Rights/Aussie Lockers ever. They're not that bad. Like Wes says, you adjust your driving habits a little. It doesn't always push the rear end out on a start, just sometimes.

If anyone's interested in my Aussie Locker I'd sell it. NIB. Send me a PM. I'm starting a fund for a rear ARB.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have a Lockright in the rear of my 40. I bought it used from Dan Dilley. He hammered on it and so have I. When I broke my rear axle a couple of years ago, the lockright still looked perfect.

Never had much issue with snow and ice. I do get the usual banging going around a sharp corner slowly, but you can avoid it by giving it a little gas to disengage just as you start the turn.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Ever swap out a broken axle on the trail with an ARB? Bout the same as a Detroit as far as PITA c-clip factor!
Forgot about you c-clip types...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Wow, didn't expect this much from the thread...

This rig is my daily driver year in/out

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money til I can put one in the front.

I have a torquey 350 and an SM420...not so smooth shift points I would hate to have it jumping sideways evertime I shift...especially on ice. My wife would amazingly hate it as well.
Ben,
I think you are on the right path with this statement.
SM420, 350 V8 And locked rear on a daily driver short wheel base dont sound like a whole lota fun, especially with our Colorado snow.
Dual ARB's actually can increase value on your rig like none of the others should you decide to sell in the future.
Just My opinion.

Back in my first cruiser i had a rear locker on a hunting trip to Walden, parked it on a slight slope and after raining and snowing all day jumped in the cruiser to go back to camp at the end of a sloppy day, i almost ended up at the bottom of the mountain, had to strap out of a little mud snow mix because the back end just wanted to slid down the hill.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
only assisted so I can't really say. I hate the allen heads and the grinidng you have to do to get it in.

why don't you weld and cryo the rear
TLCA#4180
Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
only assisted so I can't really say. I hate the allen heads and the grinidng you have to do to get it in.

why don't you weld and cryo the rear
Spools and welded rears actually are smoother than you would think! I ran a welded in WR for a little while and most of the time I really liked it! The times I didn't like it I totally hated it! My favorite hate story was at a Wendy's in Boulder one hot summer day. I went through the drive through and all was well until I had to make the sharp u bend at the order kiosk. The grooved Swampers did their job too well and the inside rear would not spin. I was quite a site sliding my front tires sideways trying to turn over and over and over! Finally, I just got aggressive enough to start the rear tires spinning and made the turn....now that sucked!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior