Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

What you want is that 100 series with the SFA conversion they just brought to CM. That's worth scrapping an 80 and a 40 for
Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfd270ben View Post
Id probably be interested in your 80
Hmmmmm. You do like red, huh?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

It won't be long until we start seeing lots of 100s on the trails. Look at it this way: the newest 80 series is a decade old; probably older if you consider the actual date of manufacture. When I started looking for my first 40, back in 1994, the newest (albeit extremely rare) U.S.-sold FJ40 was 11 years old.

FJ40s were hard to find in Chicago. I didn't buy one until Jan. 1996.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Cruiser View Post
I think the very fact you're considering it is reason enough to go with it. It's got everything but a supercharger on it, but I wouldn't give more than 21 for it. Do what you gotta do.
The truck is worth every cent the guy is asking and then some. I know I built it

The regearing on a 100 with ARB's is way more expensive than a 80 since you essentially buy two rear lockers to do the job with some custom machining.

The parts alone on that truck is about $20k not counting labor to install it.

As for where it was strapped, that was on the ARB trip when I broke the front diff and axle due to driver error (me being stupid).

Whoever buys that is getting a good deal.

Tim, whether you would be happy with the 100 over the 80, I am not sure. If you are going to start wheeling your 80 harder, then maybe not. If you want a truck that is capable and use it as you currently do the 80, then I think you will be happy. All you need is to add the ham radio
Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
It won't be long until we start seeing lots of 100s on the trails. Look at it this way: the newest 80 series is a decade old; probably older if you consider the actual date of manufacture. When I started looking for my first 40, back in 1994, the newest (albeit extremely rare) U.S.-sold FJ40 was 11 years old.

FJ40s were hard to find in Chicago. I didn't buy one until Jan. 1996.
I guess I am a dissenter. I am impressed with the 80's capability and potential, especially since it combines luxo-liner accoutrements with a solid axle and respectable articulation. But after owning IFS vehicles for a long time, there really is no comparison. You can wheel the snot out of an IFS rig, especially if you are as good as Ben, but the same driver can do so much better with a SFA.

If Toyota doesn't come out with some competition for the 4-door Rubi soon, I fear when the Chili becomes iron ore again I shall have to be a Land Use guy with the Mile High Jeep Club...

Nah. I'll SAS whatever...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

You'll always need to have a 40.

'85 FJ60
Old 06-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN View Post
You'll always need to have a 40.
Agreed, but I could go without for a while then pick up another later for a project..

Starting to like this idea though, and one of you guys could end up with a sweet 80 if this pans out. The guy still hasn't written me back yet though.. I'm going to email him again if I don't hear by lunch or so.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I wish this rig was a few months down the road once the wife is back at work and the tdi is paid off. I can't fathom not having the tdi for milage right now.

I'll always have a 40. I'm a 40 guy. I love the old iron. Even with having a 70 in it's own right getting old I still had to have a 40. That's me though and I know some guys can't stand those old things. I use it mainly to go to the store on saturday vs wheelin though. Problem is i need a comfortable vehicle that can get me to the trail head and back in a reasonable time. Damn, I guess I should get on that turbo
TLCA#4180
Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
That's a capital idea. Fellow members that are 80-less are probably the best candidates to buy.
Yolu talkin' to ME?

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

As most of you know my 100 is the first ifs wheeler I've ever had. Personally I like the comfort of driving it to the trail and wheeling it. It is fairly sterile compared to wheeling a 40 or even my runner (but so is an 80). I can pretty much point it and shoot and not have to worry about it. You learn to drive a little different with ifs. Example you know the diff will not rise out of the way when one of the ft wheels starts climbing a rock. You get used to it. It makes it much easier to convince the family to go wheeling too. I don't think you'd be disappointed Tim if you picked it up. You'd just have one less car. And oh god think of the work to transfer all the lights