Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
OK. Why?
Self explanitory! Part time vrs full time, less wear on the mini truck junk in front, less wear on the Birfields and as stated some claim increased mileage.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Self explanitory! Part time vrs full time, less wear on the mini truck junk in front, less wear on the Birfields and as stated some claim increased mileage.
OK. Normal every day driving on the road I shouldn't need to use the center diff lock, right? Your post said you'd need the center diff lock with selectable hubs installed. If I put Aisin hubs on it instead of drive flanges then it's just like my FJ40, right? No AWD. What am I missing in your explanation? I'd love an extra mpg or two.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
OK. Normal every day driving on the road I shouldn't need to use the center diff lock, right? Your post said you'd need the center diff lock with selectable hubs installed. If I put Aisin hubs on it instead of drive flanges then it's just like my FJ40, right? No AWD. What am I missing in your explanation? I'd love an extra mpg or two.
If you turn out the hubs and pull the front driveshaft without pushing the center diff lock you will not go anywhere. The T-case has a viscous coupling inside. Power will simply go out the path of least resistance which will be the unlocked front drive.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
If you turn out the hubs and pull the front driveshaft ....
Why would I pull the front drive shaft unless I was towing the cruiser? Assuming I install Aisin hubs and do noting else, can I drive the vehicle in 2WD? And then when I go off road I lock in the hubs? Sorry to press about this. I'm just trying to understand. I get the less wear and tear on the forward drive train. OK. I'd love more mpg, but if it really doesn't improve then is it worth it? It looks cool.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Why would I pull the front drive shaft unless I was towing the cruiser? Assuming I install Aisin hubs and do noting else, can I drive the vehicle in 2WD? And then when I go off road I lock in the hubs? Sorry to press about this. I'm just trying to understand. I get the less wear and tear on the forward drive train. OK. I'd love more mpg, but if it really doesn't improve then is it worth it? It looks cool.
If you do that technically yes, you'll be in 2wd but you're still spinning your front driveline.. all the way until the last link where it meets your wheel. Your driveshaft, diff, and axles would still be spinning. Dropping the DS then locking the center diff puts you in 2wd mode.. you could do this now but your front driveline parts are still spinning, it's not until you add the hubs that those components can be at rest.

Best argument IMO for 2WD or PT kit is if you want to run Longfields and keep them around for a while, since they wear faster than stock birfs. So you could disable your front axle unless you were wheeling. Also it's an added trail benefit if you were to break a birf or axle you could get away with not fixing it, just disable the axle then get off the trail in 2wd.

I've run w/o the front shaft in and didn't really like how it handled, felt more "squatty" in turns, since the front wasn't pulling anymore. Was fun to kick the back end out a couple times though on dirt.. slight mileage improvement, but the truck felt heavier coming off the line.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Viscous coupling is in the T-case. Power is delivered via the transmission to the VC and biased out to f&R axles. Because of fluid coupling, power could actually all go to whichever axle has the least resistance. (Although there is some fairly strong bias going on) It is like a limited slip in your T-case. Locking center dif overides VC and locks F&R output shafts together. Your 80 does not have a 2wd option in the t-case like your older cruisers do. Think of it like on your 55 if you twisted a rear driveshaft. You can simply unbolt the broken rear shaft and engage 4wd and drive home on front drive with the hubs turned in. You don't lock in 4WD you don't go anywhere!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

OK. So I'm not sold on putting selectable hubs on instead of the drive flanges. You haven't sold me yet.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
OK. So I'm not sold on putting selectable hubs on instead of the drive flanges. You haven't sold me yet.

Good....they're a PITA!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I thought Christo had figured out a way to mod the transfer case so you could run part-time 4WD w/o pulling the drive shaft. The whole drive shaft thing is the deal killer for me.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

And if you accidentally bump your CDL switch while going 70 MPH with the hubs unlocked, I'll bet your viscous coupling would fry in a heartbeat. Not worth the risk to me, even though I agree that manual hubs would look sweet on an FZJ.

Reminds me of the Explorer I saw in a diff shop where the owner's dog lunged into the front seat, hit the 'pushbutton 4WD' in an odd way, and locked up the entire drivetrain while going 70 mph. The tranny survived, the but the entire xfer case *housing* was twisted. Ouch. $$$.