Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-10-2007, 11:49 PM
corsair23's Avatar
corsair23 corsair23 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton
Posts: 8,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
It's hard to tell from the photo, but does the threaded end of the spring touch the mount on top? If so, that's at least a major part of your problem. You should have a little plastic grommet that looks kind of like two stacked washers, one slightly smaller than the other, with a 3/8" hole in the center. That grommet fits in the mount, then the spring threads fit through the hole. that keeps the antenna (the threads and everything above it) from contacting the vehicle.
x2

I'm an antenna noob and even have a no-ground antenna cable from firestik that supposedly doesn't care whether the mount is grounded or not. I still spike the SWR meter readings on mine though and am not sure why

However, you should have at least one and sometimes 2 nylon insulator washers (technical term I "borrowed" from Firestiks webpage ) so the antenna itself doesn't ground out (IIRC).

Here are some "borrowed" pics as well showing the insulator washers. My setup looks like the left most mount. I think yours resembles the mount on the far right which looks like it only requires 1 insulator.
Attached Images
    
__________________
Jeff Z. (the "not quite as skinny" one)
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2007, 12:02 AM
corsair23's Avatar
corsair23 corsair23 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton
Posts: 8,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cruiser View Post
I used the very small & thin nylon washer provided, nothing resembling a grommet like you describe. I'm sure I can find one, drill my mounting hole bigger to accomodate it and all should be well. Nothing like that needed on the bottom?

So what's that extra wire on the antenna for?
No clue about the extra wire (I'm using a Firestik) but I might have an extra nylon insulator washer floating around if you have trouble finding one.

__________________
Jeff Z. (the "not quite as skinny" one)
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 AM
ScaldedDog's Avatar
ScaldedDog ScaldedDog is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cruiser View Post
It's all clear to me now - doh!

The threaded end of the spring probably does touch the mount on top, I used the very small & thin nylon washer provided, nothing resembling a grommet like you describe. I'm sure I can find one, drill my mounting hole bigger to accomodate it and all should be well. Nothing like that needed on the bottom?

So what's that extra wire on the antenna for?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Having this conversation is funny to me, as I remember having the exact set of questions and issues you're having.

Jeff's pics are great, and you'll need one of those plastic grommets on top, and none on the bottom. The shielding of the antenna wire should be grounded at the antenna base, and it connects to the outside screw mount at the end of the cable. When it touches the mount, like yours does, grounding is accomplished. (NOTE: I'm assuming your spare tire carrier is grounded. If not, you'll continue to have problems.) The center wire of the cable should *not* be grounded, and that's why you need the grommet.

The extra wire on the Wilson Silverload antennas is used to shift the impedance (IIRC, the chances of which are not good) to get a better SWR *in some situations*. The general idea is to tune it as good as you can without the wire. If your SWR's are poor (>2.0 but less than infinity) after you're sure you've got everything right, then you can ground the extra wire. If it helps, great. If not, disconnect it and tape it to the antenna. (I've tuned two of these, and it didn't help either time. YMMV.)

BTW, did you roll your own connector on the end of the wire? If so, test the wire to make sure the center doesn't have continuity with the shielding. It' very easy to let a copper strand from the braided shield touch the center pin.

Mark
__________________
''Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools,
because they have to say something.'' - Plato

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Chris's Avatar
Chris Chris is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Front Range
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
x2

I'm an antenna noob and even have a no-ground antenna cable from firestik that supposedly doesn't care whether the mount is grounded or not. I still spike the SWR meter readings on mine though and am not sure why

However, you should have at least one and sometimes 2 nylon insulator washers (technical term I "borrowed" from Firestiks webpage ) so the antenna itself doesn't ground out (IIRC).

Here are some "borrowed" pics as well showing the insulator washers. My setup looks like the left most mount. I think yours resembles the mount on the far right which looks like it only requires 1 insulator.
Thanks for the pics, I'll pick one up tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Chris's Avatar
Chris Chris is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Front Range
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Having this conversation is funny to me, as I remember having the exact set of questions and issues you're having.

Jeff's pics are great, and you'll need one of those plastic grommets on top, and none on the bottom. The shielding of the antenna wire should be grounded at the antenna base, and it connects to the outside screw mount at the end of the cable. When it touches the mount, like yours does, grounding is accomplished. (NOTE: I'm assuming your spare tire carrier is grounded. If not, you'll continue to have problems.) The center wire of the cable should *not* be grounded, and that's why you need the grommet.

The extra wire on the Wilson Silverload antennas is used to shift the impedance (IIRC, the chances of which are not good) to get a better SWR *in some situations*. The general idea is to tune it as good as you can without the wire. If your SWR's are poor (>2.0 but less than infinity) after you're sure you've got everything right, then you can ground the extra wire. If it helps, great. If not, disconnect it and tape it to the antenna. (I've tuned two of these, and it didn't help either time. YMMV.)

BTW, did you roll your own connector on the end of the wire? If so, test the wire to make sure the center doesn't have continuity with the shielding. It' very easy to let a copper strand from the braided shield touch the center pin.

Mark
Nope, bought the wire complete with ends, I know enough not to go there.

Just when I think I'm understanding this you throw in "shift the impedance"

By this time tomorrow I'll know whether or not I need to ground the bumper or go back to my little magnetic antenna.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Chris's Avatar
Chris Chris is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Front Range
Posts: 970
Default

Thanks Mark for your guidance and Jeff for the pics. Got what I needed at Ace and everything's good. The swing arm hinge isn't a great ground but the latch is fine. Get readings from 1 on the low channels creeping towards 2 on the highest. The adjustment on the end doesn't help at all so it's all good now, readings I can certainly live with.

Once again, asking a few questions save hours of frustration!


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-11-2007, 04:42 PM
corsair23's Avatar
corsair23 corsair23 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton
Posts: 8,698
Default

Good deal! Wish mine was working as well as yours

Someday I'll get it working right
__________________
Jeff Z. (the "not quite as skinny" one)
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Chris's Avatar
Chris Chris is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Front Range
Posts: 970
Default

I wish I could help you but it sounds like an impedence issue.

That was it in my case, my ignorance was impeding me.

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM
ScaldedDog's Avatar
ScaldedDog ScaldedDog is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cruiser View Post
I wish I could help you but it sounds like an impedence issue.

That was it in my case, my ignorance was impeding me.

So *that's* what that extra wire is for!!!

Glad it worked out.

Mark
__________________
''Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools,
because they have to say something.'' - Plato

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Rezarf's Avatar
Rezarf Rezarf is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 4,118
Default

Chris-

To get any good reception out of the setup on the swing out, you will need to add a grounding strap... not just a wire. Honestly, I am not absolutley sure why but in my search from guys in the know it, it is what you have to do to get a proper ground.

It is the big fat flat ground strap found on some cars between the engine and the frame. Most NAPA's carry them.

Then once you have one. You mount it to the swing out carrier right beside the hinge and attach the other end to your cruiser, maybe through the bumper bolts or something similar.

It isn't hard just a bit of work.

Hope it helps.

Drew
__________________
Rezarf <><
My rig... "Maude"
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.