Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Fancy a smoke?

Chevy 350, 4 bolt main, RV cam...puff-o-bluish smoke on startup and then also right after idle. Sitting at a stoplight, when you take off, if puffs blue smoke.

I'm guessing it's valve stem seals....does that sound about right? I know the carb is running rich which adds to the smell, but any other ideas on the smoke?
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
Chevy 350, 4 bolt main, RV cam...puff-o-bluish smoke on startup and then also right after idle. Sitting at a stoplight, when you take off, if puffs blue smoke.

I'm guessing it's valve stem seals....does that sound about right? I know the carb is running rich which adds to the smell, but any other ideas on the smoke?
How about sudden accell after long decell? If your running rich at idle you could be washing the cylinders which will cause some oil-bipass when throttle is cracked open. If it puffs blue after decelling down a hill right after you step back on the juice it's a good indicator of worn or rolled valve stem seals.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
How about sudden accell after long decell? If your running rich at idle you could be washing the cylinders which will cause some oil-bipass when throttle is cracked open. If it puffs blue after decelling down a hill right after you step back on the juice it's a good indicator of worn or rolled valve stem seals.

The first sounds about right. It seems to do it more at the stoplights, at least thats when I notice it more.

The truck was in california for 4~5 years and I can't help but think he had it tuned for there. It' smells really strong which makes me believe it's really rich. On the other hand, it did basically sit for most of those years with very minimal usage so I'm wondering if it just dried up the seals???

The carb is a quadra-jet....carbs make me want to go TBI
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'd vote strongly for bad valve stem seals - typical Chevy problem. You can most easily replace them on the car using compressed air and a lever-type valve spring compressor. Not huge job, but acccess could be tight in some areas.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I'd vote strongly for bad valve stem seals - typical Chevy problem. You can most easily replace them on the car using compressed air and a lever-type valve spring compressor. Not huge job, but acccess could be tight in some areas.

I totally agree that it's most likely GM's cheesy umbrella seals at fault. However, I have dealt with over carbed customer vehicles several times and the cylinder wash down can be a major player in blow-by. Need to diagnose and fix the problem first instead of just throwing money at it until it stops! BTW Ben, I have the air fitting for the spark plug hole, a spring compressor and the little oil control clips for the rockers that limit the amount of oil that will be running down your inner federwells that you can borrow if you need them.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I totally agree that it's most likely GM's cheesy umbrella seals at fault. However, I have dealt with over carbed customer vehicles several times and the cylinder wash down can be a major player in blow-by. Need to diagnose and fix the problem first instead of just throwing money at it until it stops! BTW Ben, I have the air fitting for the spark plug hole, a spring compressor and the little oil control clips for the rockers that limit the amount of oil that will be running down your inner federwells that you can borrow if you need them.

Very cool, thanks guys. I think we are going to try the easy path of tweaking the carb tonight. If that doesn't fix it, well then on to the next, although it's not major.

I have an ARB/longfield setup that needs to go in before that.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

I vote seals & blowby. The seals in my 78K mile Scout leak (they're 41 years old) and it will smoke a bit at start up, but not after the engine is warm. No smoke at/after stoplights.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Toyed with the carb/timing/vacuum last night.

Best vacuum reading of 18 was at 35 degrees adavance but she really started smoking. We put her at 8 and could get a steady 15 with the same amound of smoke as I had before So yeah. next test is compression to see if it's the rings or not.

The engine was rebuilt about ~5 years ago and literally has maybe 3,000 miles. New gaskets, rings, rebuilt heads and cylinder hone. It basically sat for many years which I think contributed to some dryness in the seals.

I guess if we have compression issues, or rings bad...I may just look at options of TBI swap from a junkyard truck. the wife will love that
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sorry to hear that Ben! There is still a slight (very slight) chance your cylinders were getting washed and driving it around with a better tune will reseat the rings. Strongest probability is the valve seals are cracked as everyone has suggested. I guess I will round up what your gonna need for umbrella deployment! Be sure to do a dry and wet comp test so you know for sure it's valve stem leakdown and not scored cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
Toyed with the carb/timing/vacuum last night.

Best vacuum reading of 18 was at 35 degrees adavance but she really started smoking. We put her at 8 and could get a steady 15 with the same amound of smoke as I had before So yeah. next test is compression to see if it's the rings or not.

The engine was rebuilt about ~5 years ago and literally has maybe 3,000 miles. New gaskets, rings, rebuilt heads and cylinder hone. It basically sat for many years which I think contributed to some dryness in the seals.

I guess if we have compression issues, or rings bad...I may just look at options of TBI swap from a junkyard truck. the wife will love that
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Ben! There is still a slight (very slight) chance your cylinders were getting washed and driving it around with a better tune will reseat the rings. Strongest probability is the valve seals are cracked as everyone has suggested. I guess I will round up what your gonna need for umbrella deployment! Be sure to do a dry and wet comp test so you know for sure it's valve stem leakdown and not scored cylinders.

Yeah it's a bit of a bummer...it's not smoking badly, but something seems amiss. The comp test shall tell all. Although i did find a 98 5.7 TBI with great compression and all harness for $800...hmmmmmmmmm
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride