Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Question No Damage Fun Run?

I've noticed the vast majority of RS runs tend to be moderate/difficult or overnight runs. I've also noticed a number of people who were interested in a club run back down after finding the run too difficult for their truck or experience. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

If I'm right and anyone's interested in an easy to moderate run where damage isn't likely please post your interest. I don't have anything specific in mind nor am I necessarily offering to organize such a run. My preference has always been getting away, having fun, seeing someplace new, etc.

Anyone else share this view?

Old 06-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well to some extent, most the RS is into the moderate stuff, or they've got more than one truck, set up differently. I for one couldn't hang with the Homegrown crew, or some of COTTORA guys, etc. and I think most would agree we're into this for the expedition aspect, more than the bigger & badder rock crawling stuff NNTAWWT. But then again the more you build up your rig the more you want to see what it can do...

One of my favorite local runs is Kingston Peak, and I've led a group over that the last three years, usually later in the summer (and at night!). that one is pretty, and easy. Let's do that some time, and soon. I'd equate that to rafting down the Colorado in Glenwood canyon.. you find yourself paddling over to hit the bigger rapids..

Also only fitting to point out that two of our club's favorite runs historically have been Gillespie Gulch and Slaughterhouse gulch, both on the easy/moderate end. We lost Gillespie last year to a private land owner, and things as you know aren't looking good for Slaughterhouse right now because of some very ugly misuse... not to turn this into a pitch for becoming more involved with land use issues, but...

OTOH, my only body damage is from following Yoder on stupid-easy Yankee Hill, so go figure. Once the rest of the snow melts there will be a lot more options to get out there!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Chris,
Ya gotta just post up what you want to do! There is nearly always someone who has the same appetite for adventure that you do! I do tend to be more harder moderate - Hard Core in my preferences. I have a hard core rig and I also have a wagon. The wagon is a lot more fun on tougher trails as I care about body damage so it brings a whole new aspect to the adventure. However, I very much enjoy mellower trail runs too. My problem is I tend to shy away from crowded trails as I do property management during the week so dealing with people is not how I choose to enjoy myself on the weekends. Whatcha have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cruiser View Post
I've noticed the vast majority of RS runs tend to be moderate/difficult or overnight runs. I've also noticed a number of people who were interested in a club run back down after finding the run too difficult for their truck or experience. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

If I'm right and anyone's interested in an easy to moderate run where damage isn't likely please post your interest. I don't have anything specific in mind nor am I necessarily offering to organize such a run. My preference has always been getting away, having fun, seeing someplace new, etc.

Anyone else share this view?

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bill Moore Lake is an easy trail and the lake is good for a walk and a picnic lunch.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Trail Ready

I think he's wants to do "Indy"! Total carnage! Have 44" tires and have a mess of sheet metal for replacement.....but this is only if you have spent a good deal of money building your rig!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Chris,

I, too, do not always want to spend all day on a 1/2 mile run. Sometimes that is fun, but not always. Take a look at the calendar, there is more than enough of a full range of activities:
June--Fathers day run-Moderate to difficult
July--Ghost Town Run-Easy to moderate over-nighter
August--Triple Bypass-Moderate to difficult(mostly because it is 3 passes in one day, just fast paced is all)
September--Ouray-Easy to moderate overnight run
October--Spooky night run-easy to moderate

Not to mention the quick runs up to rollins pass, bill moore lake, yankee doodle, and red cone to mention a few.

I know that most of these runs have been posted since january, so scheduling could be easy. Add Cruise Moab into the mix, and the summer weekends look really full. In fact, someone might argue that there isn't enough hard core stuff.

We look forward to seeing you on one of these runs this summer!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

iirc, yankee hill is not adopted yet. how about we adopt an easy trail?
ige tlca #1431
Old 06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

First, thanks for the replies. I'm not real familiar with many of the trails and can't say there's any specific run I'm interested in doing. I did look at the calendar which is pretty well summed up by Groucho and supports my initial post.

Difficult - June--Fathers day run-Moderate to difficult
Over-Night - July--Ghost Town Run-Easy to moderate over-nighter
Difficult? August--Triple Bypass-Moderate to difficult(mostly because it is 3 passes in one day, just fast paced is all)
Over-Night - September--Ouray-Easy to moderate overnight run
Easy - October--Spooky night run-easy to moderate

As I originally said, most are difficult or over-night. In my year with RS I've seen some new people interested in participating but find out a run was something they couldn't so either because it was too difficult or too time-consuming. Just something triggered by a coversation with someone while selling raffle tickets earlier today. I think some people are interested in RS but drop off when they see these runs. Just something I think should be considered.

I'll be more likely to do some of the shorter, more impromptu stuff since I have a whole lot more free time. My personal favorite area would have to be Ouray - Engineer Pass, Imogene & others last summer were fun. We'll do Black Bear and whatever this year.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

When I read the title of the post I thought it said No Damage, No Fun Run. Sweeeet!

79' FJ40
98' 100 Series
TLCA #16134
Old 06-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

When I read the title of the post I thought it said "No Damage, No Fun Run". Sweeeet!

79' FJ40
98' 100 Series
TLCA #16134