Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 06-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Sarah and her friend motor up the hill, followed by Rachel and her friend.
Attached Images

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

The rock garden looked a lot different this year. Of course it's different every year, but some sections were easier, and some were just as hard. Below, CJ starts up in his truck; I don't know exactly what year his truck is but it's far from stock. It obviously started out as an IFS later model and has a V6, but has had an SAS and many other mods. The way he's got it set up, and with his excellent driving skills, he just walked right up just about everything he tried.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

These last five are of Dave working his way up the rock garden. Unfortunately, I didn't have the camera out as he was *almost* rolling, but he's a great driver and fortunately everything turned out okay.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Way cool. Great pics. I saw Sarah SB on I-25 at Belleview around 4:30 PM today. We were coming back from visiting my wife's dad.

Yeah she was only 40 feet behind me and you only notice the chick driving the cruiser
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Yeah she was only 40 feet behind me and you only notice the chick driving the cruiser
Only the good looking ones.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great pics and write up!! Thanks for sharing.

My Father's Day 4-wheeling amounted to nothing more than the dirt road leading up to the in-laws

But spending the day with the family was priceless and it was nice and relaxing up in the cooler mountain air
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great pictures! Nice to see the trail clear all the way to the top. Wish I could have been there. I did get up to the Hoosier Pass area with my two kiddos, although the "wheelin" was dirt roads through the neighborhoods of Fairplay and Alma.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Wish I coulda been there. Instead, running a trencher to put in sprinklers in the sun on the hottest day of the year so far seemed like just way more fun.

There is really something wrong with me...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like you had a good time. Our family decided to checout out Rifle Falls and the Flat tops followed by a run up Battlement Mesa. Great trail worth doing. I suffered a flat from a hidden rock in a mud puddle that tore a hole in the sidewall of a rear tire. Hurray for road hazzard coverage, I should be getting a new tire.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well, I have no pictures, which means it was a great day and my driving was less than stellar

That almost roll came totally out of the blue, which is what you always hear. I'm trying to get straightened out from that line up the left side of the rock garden in the pic above where you see the tree root and the clear indication that the rear left is going to slip to the middle and place my 80 squarely on gas tank skid and crossmember with all four tires hanging mid air.

Trying to get lined back up straight to take the line Romer took, the left rear dropped a bit suddenly and with some residual mud I slid to the left and that right side just starts rising up slowly enough that I shout to Bruce who is spotting, that I'm really tippy, so he bolts around and jumps on the step slider, bringing it back down. And then another little slip and it's going over, so Bruce jumps off and out of the way and shouts "go forward!". I do want to say that I watched Bruce get out of the way before moving. Better to lay it up against the bank than anybody get hurt, but it's a lesson nonetheless.

This part feels like an eternity. I hear Michelle shouting that it's going to roll. I'm in reverse and currently holding onto the center console leaning as far as I can to the passenger side watching the side bank approach, and just hit throttle in reverse and it levels right back out. In 10 years of wheeling, I've never been close to a roll, but have been in positions I would have sworn were 10 times worse.

My only casualty was the AC dryer. They make a show when you pop 'em, so I guess I have an excuse to relocate it now

That first "impossible line" looked doable since I walked it last year (pic is clearing the top after a 3' wheelstand), but I think the left side of that line is a lot more dug out now. Funny thing how you have to lock CDL if you want locked diffs. Sometimes a bit of stupidity is a blessing in disguise . Now that the aspen is gone that "bypass" line is even really getting bad. That's going to be the worst mandatory obstacle on the entire trail soon.

My kids had a blast, Michelle had a great time in spite of my promise of meadows and forests on the way down (Idaho Springs route) and not scree infested ledge roads (Georgetown route) . With no AC into Denver on the hottest day of the year so far, a beer (root for the kids ) at Rock Bottom was a welcome sight indeed.

Great run
Attached Images