Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quadrajet carb.

The fan is easily detectable in town....it blows

I can adjust the setting on the fan to come on higher if that works? I just thought it was ok at 180. But if it has a 195 thermostat, i'm not even opening the thermostat....which I don't think is right as I wouldn't have heat(er)...correct? And I have plenty of heat LOL...i need to put in a shutoff valve.

I'm using a temp probe for the thermostat on the taurus fan.

That doesn't seem right that the taurus fan would be blocking flow on the highway??? seeings as so many people run that....not saying it isn't possible at all...just the whole thing is confusing me...
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
The thermostat is probably a 195. Take it for what it's worth but emissioned vehicles were designed to run hotter for a cleaner combustion. My Tahoe ran 210 as it's normal operating temp.

If your fan is not turning off when on the highway, it is restricting airflow to the radiator.

Make sure your radiator cap is keeping the system pressurized as well.

I agree with Rootster....if your fans are not shutting off that could be your problem!
How close is the engine to the firewall? A lot of folks save time on conversions and mount the engine too far back, this creates an air flow problem as the super heated air creates an air dam and stops all cross flow air from circulating around the engine.

Try pulling your hood and see if it stays cooler on the highway. If it does you need to find a way to create some air flow under the hood.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm...

here's some info from the PO:

I believe it is a 180 thermostat. I think that the water pump is a high flow unit, it may be running the water thru the radiator too fast. We were having that problem with the race truck because a flow restrictor was not put into the system to slow down the water enough to cool when at speed. I would definately look into that! See if the stock 77 chevy pickup system has a restrictor. I did not put one into the system I know that, and I did not reuse any of the original cooling system. So it may have had one in the pickup and it was not reinstalled on the rebuilt motor. Are you still running the stock radiator? A suggestion was to build a shroud from the radiator to the grille. The air may be going around the radiator instead of thru it.

I guess the fan spinning at highway speeds creates a flat surface and blocks the wind. Remember these pieces of advice are only worth what you paid for them. ; ) Let me know how this works out please, as I will add this to my Knowledge for future reference.

That may help out some more info:

here is a pic of the enginefor radiator placement: yes it's purple...no I didn't do it...yes I'll change it
Attached Images

TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

I 2nd the coolant going through the radiator too fast. I had problems with a 180 degree t-stat. Changing to 195 made a difference.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I 2nd the coolant going through the radiator too fast. I had problems with a 180 degree t-stat. Changing to 195 made a difference.

I may go pickup a 195 thermostat and try that.

I went at lunch and picked up a caddy fan/clutch mechanical style...I may throw that on and see if that does any difference.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
I went at lunch and picked up a caddy fan/clutch mechanical style...I may throw that on and see if that does any difference.
And that would be the fan I used as well.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
And that would be the fan I used as well.
Are you running a shroud?
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

No. It was set up with:

Stock Rad, no shroud, caddy clutch fan, High flow water pump and 195 T-stat. All in front of a 383, with 400 +/- HP. Never got hot, run 195 steady off my mechanical gauge.

I highly recommend a mechanical gauge. It was so sensitive you could see everytime the t-stat opened and closed. I had the sending unit in the t-stat housing. Stock guage hooked up to a second sending unit in the head.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Caddy fan won't fit hit's the bottom hose, so I guess thats out. I pu the electric back on, the 195 thermostat in and now I'm fighting the electric fan contoller

Where should I set the taurus fan to come on?? I have a mechanical gauge and I can definitely see when the thermostat opens....my guage sender is in the block and showed a little over 200 before the t-stat opened and then rapidly dropped.

Should my fan be set to come on at 180? 195? 200?

thanks!
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post

I guess the fan spinning at highway speeds creates a flat surface and blocks the wind. Remember these pieces of advice are only worth what you paid for them. ; ) Let me know how this works out please, as I will add this to my Knowledge for future reference.

Sorta.....definitely some of the factor. The biggest problem is the fan flows it's intended CFM. The incoming hi speed flow of air on the highway cannot over run the fan so it creates an air dam diverting excess away from the radiator. This happens with all electric fan cars if the fan actuator is stuck and the fans don't shut off on the highway they will heat up when they should be the coolest.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior