Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Minitruck SA wheel backspacing

What is the reasonable limit on wheel backspacing for a solid axle minitruck? My axle is 3" forward of stock, for turning clearance, BTW. It currently has 3.75" BS wheels, I am considering 2.25" or 2" for a wider stance.

Anybody running these? I know it throws the steering geometry off a tad, but the Chili is remarkably stable at speed. We're not talking THAT much width addition. Also remember, it is a floating rear axle (bearing strength).
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey man. It looks like you're getting things back together. I ran 1.5" spacers (adapters) up front on 3.5" backspace wheels (effectively the same as a 2" BS, with one exception I'll get to in a second) for years. It sure makes steering difficult if the front locker is on! If you're thinking of running spacers plus 2" BS wheels, better include ram assist in the budget.

A lot of the Pirate guys run 2" BS wheels and, IIRC, the wheel itself is actually turned inside out on a lot of them. That translates into the weaker inner bead seal becoming the outer seal, which is a bad thing, unless you're thinking of beadlocks, in which case it's good thing. If you're not, though, I'd stick with adapters. Of course, you could take some of that shiny body money and spend it on something really shiny, like diamonds.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think 2" is the shallowest you can get, anything under 3.5" is a reversed shell, which yes Like Mark said puts the inner safety bead out. Google it, or better yet look in the FAQ in the Toyota section on Pirate4x4. I can't remember if they are more prone to losing inner beads...I *think* that reversed wheels are.

FWIW I ran 1.5" spacers like Mark had for 3-4 years also, mostly DD as well. I found the key was install, drive a little bit, pull of wheels and re-torque and re-install wheels. If I didn't(PITA I know) the spacer would come loose. I'm sure its harder on bearings, but with the way we use our vehicles I was in the axle more frequently than your standard 40-50K service interval

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm running the normal 1.5" spacers to match the rear IFS axle width already. I'm considering Champion beadlocks. Sounds like 2" might be pushing it, maybe 2.5" would be a good choice or whatever is available in that range.

Yeah, someday, a ram assist is in the queue, but an on board welder is higher on the list! CarQuest BlueLine bearings, the budget line, often happen to be Koyo bearings (exact same PN as the Toyota OEM bearing$). So yeah, axle service ain't no thang.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

the nice thing about assist is you're only talking a couple hundred bucks, you've already got a fancy pump and resevoir right?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yup, all part of the evil plan...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Anywho, so I will be having the rear fender wells enlarged and going with ~2" backspaced beadlocks and 'glass front fenders, extended. The problem is, rear fender coverage. Bushwacker Cutout flares *might* work, but will require some juggling; they are really intended for the stock opening despite the name.

What options are there besides the cutouts?

Then I had an idea, bordering on sacrilege.... what about stock TJ rear flares? Anybody got some layin' around in decent shape?

I'd be grateful... Maybe that is the direction I should go. All my Jeep buddies can laugh at me then... I will DEFINITELY have to paint over my bumper decal.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Lifted

3" is the max without reversing centers
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Flares: go Icelandic, baby!

Here's the web site.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I think he does speak English. Here's his e-mail address:
gunnaringvi@brettakantar.is
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.