Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default Woo Hooo Freezers got meat again!

Got home last night after a great weekend of male bonding and primal food gathering. Happy to report that a 5x5 bull and Bambis sister are in the cooler and today the heads will taken in to be examined. Great trip, terrible weather and incredable wheeling! New gun setup is beyond incredable! (it's nickname is now "The FSU Tool!" Could have paid for the trip if I would have been charging rednecks for extraction from perilous attempts of trying to follow my tracks in deep snow with lessor vehicles! Beer and cigars are on me! (insert male grunting and wisker enhanced grins here X )

:p
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Trail Ready

Talking

Time to sing the meat song!

What do you want to eat? MEAT!
What do you like to eat? MEAT!

What's your favorite food? MEAT!

Everybody join in....
Old 11-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Awesome! Are you going to mount the heads?

If only we had a clubhouse...
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk
Awesome! Are you going to mount the heads?

If only we had a clubhouse...

Sorry, not into sodamy!

I will probably mount the rack on a wall plaque but then again maybe not. Wife still wont let me put the 6x6 head mount, I have, upstairs in the foyer even though it wont fit anywhere else. (Downstairs the snout would make a nice seat for kids as the ceiling is only 7.5 feet) I'm sure the 5x5 rack will make a great hatrack in the garage. I stopped collecting deer racks a while back. Maybe next year when we draw buck tags in unit #10 I will hopefully get a deer rack worthy of praise. Does and cows are just....

"What do you want to eat? MEAT!
What do you like to eat? MEAT!

What's your favorite food? MEAT!

Everybody join in...."

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Commander

A nice rack would make a good ornament for the Cruise Moab trailer.. antlers would be ok too I guess.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sweet! Congradulations. Were you on the coffee pot road? Or above sweetwater?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Toyotas, snow, rednecks, mud and Tim Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner
Sweet! Congradulations. Were you on the coffee pot road? Or above sweetwater?
I started on Coffee Pot Road. Got real close to bagging a few redneck road hunters too but I managed restraint. Let me explain....Friday night it began raining HARD! Sometime during the night it changed over to heavy white snow. At daybreak about 12" of beautiful neon white snow covering several inches of dark stinky flat black peat mud with a slight Easterly breeze thrown in for fun. Being the nice guy I am I started breaking trail while heading to the first area I planned on hunting. This was a no brainer plan with frustrating end results. While coming back up later in the day I ran on the first redneck road hunter of the day, typicle Ford Superduty with chains, attempting to follow my track down a difficult and narrow two track. He had the whole area tore to hell as his rear tires slid off the trail and his front trying hard to keep the truck from sliding down into the ravine. I hooked on to his front frame with a short chain and a 30' strap (no tow hooks on the Ford of course) and promply showed "Detroits finest" how 4 aired down Intercos driven by a Supercharged Jap junk straight 6 can fill the air with huge globs of black slop while dragging suprised good ole boys out with authority! Shortly afterwards further back out that trail a Scout buried in a deep ice covered mudhole got a similer lesson. Whew what an opening day, beautiful pristine white countryside with tall swaying aspen, warm and dry Goretex clothes not enjoyed for a whole year, breaking fresh tracks in perfect snow conditions, aquiring new campfire stories, humiliating rednecks and lets not forget the manly ego thing of carrying major firepower into the wood in search of food! Woo Hoo! Rest of the day I mostly scouted the area and freed a couple more trucks from a ditch and another mudhole. Sunday started cold and very windy. I hunted down in the bottom again at day break but not much sign of (4 legged) animal activity. About 8am the redneck roadhunters came from everywhere! Seriously, it was worse than West Colfax on a Friday night! I knew the place to be was in the forest away from the roads. The deer sign was quite heavy in the timber as suspected but the dark timber in that area is extremely thick and very difficult to hunt and be quiet in. I finally gave up around noon. I left Coffee Pot and went higher. I went into the Grizzly Creek creek access (10,500ft) and the snow was really deep with large drifts. I hadn't got in far what I spotted some deer near the trees. (no, I wasn't road hunting, just found deer while on the road ) A well placed head shot sank Bambi's sister at 153 yards (Nikon rangefinder). Now I'm pumped! Ego is at an all time high!
The Elk were also up high but I coun't get close enough to them with noisy snowshoes (plus the wind was really getting to me). I left area 34 Monday morning and crashed a friends camp in 44 (south of Eagle) for breakfast at 5am. Awesome area but very steep and secluded. My friend and his partner scored two cows that morning in about 1 mile from the road. I watched the whole thing from a ridge above them so I headed down to help skin and debone and prepare for many trips of packing to large elk out. The other two guys in that group headed back to camp to get Shawns off road trailer and the forgotten pack frames. After several hours and no sight of the guys that went for the gear I hoofed it out to find out what went wrong. The road was what we as 4 wheelers would call perfect but anyone else would say "that ain't no road anymore." The day was hot was the snow there (8") was melting quick which of couse made the gooey black slop deeper. The only ones that made it were chained on all 4 or ATV's or me. I headed up the very narrow, steep and extremely sloppy trail. About a quarter a mile from the bottom I found the chained up and Lock-righted Cherokee (with 416 military trailer) face to face with Ricecake. We did have a bigger problem than two vehicles facing each other on a very narrow, steep, muddy, and tree lined two track.....the multiple huge trees laying across the road between us! The friends of Shawns had been there a while armed with an axe and had one side of the smaller of the huge trees nearly chopped through. There was word also that another guy (A Cruiserhead! ) was on his way back down with a chain saw. After some serious engineering discussions it was decided the 12k winch on 6k lbs Ricecake downhill would be the make or break tool. The first tree (20" diameter) that Dave had chopped one end was hooked onto and winched carefully toward me. KA-POW!!! It broke luckily where we had hoped it would! I then re-rigged the cable through a snatchblock and dragged the broken remaines off the side of the trail. Whew! Now the bigger tree.... The Cruiser guy came back with a poorly running chainsaw (poorly running is still better than an axe!). He cut the smaller end of the tree and we hoped I could winch the rest up hill while rotating the whole mass out of the way. The engineering worked and the mass only slid the heavy Ricecake about 3 foot up hill! The manly grunts and shoulder patting were sounds only Tim "Tool Man" Taylor could inprove on! After the vehicles found places to pass (abbreviated) the rest of the now darkining day got out at least the loins and tenders of the two cow Elk. Tuesday morning I found some horns with eyeballs staring at me in the tall Aspen about 1/2 mile uphill from where we parked (very abbreviated!). A shot roared from the hand canon and the nice sized young Bull is now at peace in Elk heaven. (wont go into gore but ask if interested....exteme and amazing display of energy!) Rest of day got the rest of the cows and my bull back to camp along with some very exhasted hunters. After a couple cups of coffee and a Moutain Dew I made it home last night for a very appreciated shower and a deep sleep. Today has been a day of getting back to reality and of course the trip to the big city to get the critters checked for CWD.

You can tell the testasterone is still flowing deep by the length of the story but for a hunting trip that fell apart a week ago then got revamped into plan B,C,D,E and maybe even F it turned out to be one of the most fun hunting trips I have ever done!

I have to thank God, Toyota and Smith & Wesson for such a sucessful trip and My wife and kids for understanding and supporting my male needs!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmmm....just re-read my post from yesterday. Looks like male ego was still driving pretty hard when I typed it. By no comments from the peanut gallery you all must feel the same. Sorry, I'm all better now. After a day of business and paperwork I'm completly back to reality....bummer!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nothing a batch of elk chili, elk steaks and a keg of beer won't cure!

Old 11-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait
Nothing a batch of elk chili, elk steaks and a keg of beer won't cure!
I think you're on to something there!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior