Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I really wanted to make this trip...

What's stopping you? Still lots of time to plan and make it happen!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Tell me why this thread shouldn't make me nervous

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=177928
4wdto quote
Quote:
damage
Here's the damage. Driver flare torn off and subsequent small gash center of photo. Other scrape passenger side. That's it besides front and rear bumper impacts.
I don't see what you're afraid off... you guys are all better drivers, your trucks are set up better, and we've got some great spotters in the club. My 80 is going..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM

I don't think there was any body damage to 80s on the Wagon run. There was damage to some a 60 on our official run and there was some damage to some 80s but it was prior to the actual run. They ran the trail backwards prior to the official run.

Holy Cross is much tougher technically than Rubithon. That creek crossing is a real bear no matter which line you take. If you can do that and Blanca the Rubicon will be fine. The big obstacle to the Rubicon is your brain. It isn't that the obstacles are that much bigger or badder than other trails. It is that they are continuous. If your brain gets worn down easily it probably isn't the trail for you.

Going with folks who you wheel with all the time is the smartest thing. Having guys who you trust as spotters is a big deal. I only got spotted a few times but it was by Alvaro and Robbie. How could I go wrong? The time I didn't get spotted is when I got hung up but it was due to my own arrogance. Just set your pace and get into a groove where you are comfortable. And I think having friends on the trail adds to being comfortable.

I came out with a scratch on my flare. That was it and that was coming out because I turned too sharp and I rubbed a tree. My underbelly looked great too. No driveshaft dings. I didn't even hit my skid plate once.

I did not do Little Sluice but other than that I hit as many hard lines as I could.

I'd love to go again but my future rig probably won't be ready.

Eric V.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginericfj80 View Post
I don't think there was any body damage to 80s on the Wagon run. There was damage to some a 60 on our official run and there was some damage to some 80s but it was prior to the actual run. They ran the trail backwards prior to the official run.

Holy Cross is much tougher technically than Rubithon. That creek crossing is a real bear no matter which line you take. If you can do that and Blanca the Rubicon will be fine. The big obstacle to the Rubicon is your brain. It isn't that the obstacles are that much bigger or badder than other trails. It is that they are continuous. If your brain gets worn down easily it probably isn't the trail for you.

Going with folks who you wheel with all the time is the smartest thing. Having guys who you trust as spotters is a big deal. I only got spotted a few times but it was by Alvaro and Robbie. How could I go wrong? The time I didn't get spotted is when I got hung up but it was due to my own arrogance. Just set your pace and get into a groove where you are comfortable. And I think having friends on the trail adds to being comfortable.

I came out with a scratch on my flare. That was it and that was coming out because I turned too sharp and I rubbed a tree. My underbelly looked great too. No driveshaft dings. I didn't even hit my skid plate once.

I did not do Little Sluice but other than that I hit as many hard lines as I could.

I'd love to go again but my future rig probably won't be ready.

Eric V.
Eric you took my future post right out of my fingers! The Rube is in your face wheeling for two and a half days! You get mentally drained of picking lines, eating dust and dealing with egos! Best fatigue you'll ever experience! Wagons have a huge advantage mainly from the butt comfort and the amount of creature comforts you can pack for camping! A 40 is tight on how much you can pack in! Things like extra fuel need to be planned as if it's not carried on the exterior then it is taking up precious cargo room! Coolers are also an issue as you have to be creative on how to sustain your ice for 4 days! Fridges rule unless you have an electrical/mechanical failure of some kind that disables/prevents use of your fridge. It is best if your traveling as a group of friends to coordinate what each vehicle carries for your camp or trail repairs.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Soooo......... I believe I have decided to take the 80 to next years Con as I want the wagon comfort and challenge. I trying to decide who's in? I did post up on our fine neighbors to the north and south and neither seem too interested. I was really hoping we could get enough together to have our own run but I'm feeling there is only gonna be 3 or 4 of us? I think I will invite our good friends in SLC too. Comments, verbal abuse, be-atch slapping?....anyone?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

I made it through the Rubicon with my 40 on 33's and had no body damage. I also hauled out with Uncle Ben and it was not a problem at all. Everyone that can go to Cali should it is a great trip!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
What's stopping you? Still lots of time to plan and make it happen!
I would hate to cause any more tension than I already have.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 09-22-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am planning on going
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

So far the probable list is:

Martin - 40 ? (transport)
Matt F. - 40 or 80 ?
Tim N. - 80
Dan R. - 80
Drew - 40
Kevin - 80
Robbie - 80 (if he's not TT)
Dave B. - 40
Kim B. - 40
BVB - 80 or 62

Not a bad list so far! We can do this! I will see if we can get the place in Carson City for transport drop off/tow vehicle security.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 09-23-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Tim said he is going.

I'm on the fence. 2 days to get there, 3 days on trails and 2 days to get back. Lots of Butt in the seat time
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper