Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default FJ40 w/ 2F questions

I need to do a valve adjustment on my 40. It has a '77 2F in it. I only have a FSM for 81-86 2F. Is it the same procedure and clearances?

I'm replacing the front motor mounts in my 40. I got the new sqaure style from CDan and I can't tell how they are suppossed to be oriented. They are assymetrical and the two mounts are identical. I thought they would be mirror images of each other? anyone have these in place and can tell me how they should face?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Martin I'm not much help other than offering to loan you my FSM's for 77 and let you stare at my motor mounts for a while on Wednesday... let me know.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Martin I'm not much help other than offering to loan you my FSM's for 77 and let you stare at my motor mounts for a while on Wednesday... let me know.
Thanks Nakman. I'll take the FSM offer, I can wait on the adjust.

Motor is hanging as we speak, so hopefully I can get some reassurance before I drop it back into place.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

same as later ones,
int 0.008"
ex 0.014"
should be done hot - operating temp
your book should work fine, sorry no help on motot mts, haven't seen the new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN View Post
I need to do a valve adjustment on my 40. It has a '77 2F in it. I only have a FSM for 81-86 2F. Is it the same procedure and clearances?

I'm replacing the front motor mounts in my 40. I got the new sqaure style from CDan and I can't tell how they are suppossed to be oriented. They are assymetrical and the two mounts are identical. I thought they would be mirror images of each other? anyone have these in place and can tell me how they should face?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Ben.

On the motor mounts, I put them in similar to how the original round ones were, with the studs down through the frame and the bolts through the top. I found a thread on MUD after-the-fact that looked like there were two mirror-image mounts as I thought, and also looked like they mounted inverted to how I did it... Hopefully they won't snap if mounted incorrectly.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN View Post
I don't think it matters.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
I don't think it matters.
Those are the words I wanted to hear.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Rising Sun member

Valve adjustment is easy. Get the engine hot, pull in where you're going to be working on it and leave it running while you remove the air cleaner and loosen the valve cover. I stop the engine and remove the valve cover but some people run the engine with the cover off. It's easier with two people, one to handle the shims and the other to loosen the nut, adjust and tighten, as well as move the vehicle. Shut the engine off with the truck on a flat surface, put it in fourth gear and roll it until the the tick (I think) on the flywheel matches the one on the bellhousing (the window is above the starter). Remove the dizzy cap to see if you're on TDC or 180 from TDC, and adjust whichever set of valves accordingly.

I think technically you're supposed to start the engine again for a few minutes to let it warm up again and then adjust the other 6 valves, but I think if you're fast enough with two people then it gets close enough.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

The concenus on the 60 forum is that the pushrods don't change much between warm and really hot. As long as the engine is close to operating temp, you're fine. The procedure I like best is a write up from Jim C that can be found in the tech section of mud. Basically warm up the engine, shut it off, pull the cover and bump the truck in gear to get the cam lined up to do half of the valves, then bump again for the other half.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 07-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

We are lashing the valves on the 79 today if you wanted to see how it is done.

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/valves.html
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133