Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
Isn't that like the situation where nobody in the department can upgrade to Project 2003 until the entire company migrates to Project 2003? Therefore, all the 2 way radio guys would have to keep a CB in their rig until everyone gets 2 way radios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXUSBEN View Post
No it just makes your rig alot quieter when your cb isn't squealing all the time.
What LB said. That was the last run I will be on where use my CB. LB didn't have a CB, and Tim's wasn't working. 4 rigs out of 12 were yakking away both days, and everyone else thought it was just awfully quiet.

It sure does show how even a well set up(Hulk)CB is vastly inferior to a basic 2M setup. I was at bakersville 2 miles up from silver plume and couldn't make out Hulk on the CB who was at silver plume. At the same time(almost) I was talking to Nakman on the other side of Loveland Pass at the campsite on 2M, maybe 10 miles as the crow flies over a pass that has maybe 2500 elevation between us and it was face to face clarity.

You guys can yuck it up all you want. We just won't hear it. BTW, I'm glad I didn't buy one of those 1-way CB radios!

HAM RULES!

Last edited by Groucho; 07-23-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I mentioned to Hants -- the guys with CB missed out on 75% of the conversation. The nice thing with the ham radio is you never think, "what did he say?" The clarity is amazing.

The test is easy and cheap ($14). You can get a good new 2-meter radio and antenna for about $200.

Tim Nakari and I chatted all the way from Keystone back to Denver, and never saw one another after the first 5 minutes.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXUSBEN View Post
No it just makes your rig alot quieter when your cb isn't squealing all the time.
Until we try to radio back to you to tell you we made a left hand turn and we can't contact you.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I am pretty sure Nakman passed me on hwy93 just North of Christo's yesterday....
Sorry if I didn't wave, I was still numb from all the traffic on I-70.. and my passengers were pretty ready to be out of the car. But that was a fun trip, thanks again Nathaniel for putting it together and to everyone else for coming, camping together on Saturday was a blast. Perry took some great pics of Ige & I's little diversion, hopefully a couple of those make it up here. I've got a couple new scrapes on my slider, and can't tell which scratches on the fender flare are new and which ones were there before, so those don't count..

And to continue the hijack, one fun perk is there's actually a weekly RS meeting on Monday nights that's open to everyone, and you don't even need to leave your house. Once you get your Ham license & radio we'll tell you how to get there..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Until we try to radio back to you to tell you we made a left hand turn and we can't contact you.

Then we contact someone on one of the repeaters down in town and have them look it up for us in the wells book
Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
I thought trail ettiquette is that we always keep the vehicle behind us in our rear view mirror? That way no one would miss the left hand turn!

It's surprising that some of the most active members in the club have gone to Ham radio. The "we" that Scott is referring to no longer is the majority on RS runs anymore. I am including in that the folks who have no radio as well (of which we had 2 vehicles on the GTR).

Did I mention we had a token "Wild Irishman" on the run? That was awesome. Ben(firefighter ben), what did your roommate call the pub up there again?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like you guys had a great time, wish I could have made it. I did pass one of you on I-70 going down the hill into Idaho Springs. I was a green 80 I believe with a nice tire/Hi Lift bumper and a modest lift. Their was a Rising Sun.com sticker on the back and a lady driving. Could not see to well as I was driving too.

Maybe next year we can join in the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 07-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Thanks Nathaniel & Perry! My relatives had a blast on the run and train ride. My sister caught the LC Perma-grin! She took the keys to the LX on Friday when we left home, and reluctantly gave them back to me on Sunday morning.

Left me to drive the Pilot on Argentine.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 07-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sorry I missed it, but in another episode of "My Life Really Sucks This Summer" we canceled because our dog had to go in for surgery on Wed. The Vet left a drain in and with dressing changes and giving him medications we thought it would be too much of an imposition on the dog sitter we lined up.

I want to thank Nathaniel, Tim, Ben and Matt for allowing me to live the trip vicariously over the radio.

For those who doubt the 2meter radio, resistance is futile you WILL be assimilated.

Since I was stuck at home I decided to pull the Ham mobile out of the 4Runner and revamp some of the wiring. I knew that the guys up in the mountains might be on the Colorado Connection Repeater System, so I set up my temporary 2meter base. My "base" station was nothing more than a home made antenna, using TV ant twin lead, supported by a bicycle safety flag pole duct taped to a lawn chair. The system ws fed by my 5Watt hand held radio.

Fri night I was talking with Tim, Who was at home, and Matt and Nathaniel who were sitting around the camp fire at the camp site.

I never had a problem making contact with some one in the group all weekend.

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 07-23-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Man...all this talk about Ham radios make me happy I installed the CB in my LX in a way that allows me to go back to stock form

One of you Ham experts needs to put up a tech thread for us "Ham challenged" folks about the top 3 best setups. I've read all of the recent threads but honestly I'm still confused...

#1 bare bones approach, #2 intermediate/best bang for the buck option, and #3 top of the line/break the bank approach
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater