Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Yankee Doodle Lake Kiosk Installation Party

It's official- the weekend of 8/25 is the event we've been building toward.

We will meet at Rollinsville at [EDIT: was noon, now 9AM] Saturday, 8/25 (or about 11-ish at Yankee Doodle Lake I'm guessing). We will pick up the Boulder Ranger District archaeologist and possibly another BRD person at Rollinsville. We will then proceed to Yankee Doodle Lake, punch holes in the ground, proceed with concreting and positioning and whatnot - I will leave the particulars to Sir John Henley on the sequence of work itself.

Commencing around dusk, we shall retire to the woods and regale each other with fantastic tales of derring-do whilst consuming moderate amounts of adult beverage, watching satellites whiz around the earth, and settling in for a great alpine slumber in the sheltering woods. Upon sunup, we will enjoy the fine breakfasts we prepare (no doubt there will be culinary competition), and finish the kiosk installation, then do a Jenny Creek trail run for the afternoon!

I can tell you where not to camp...

Here is what is needed; I need a person or persons to grab an item as a to-do:
1. Procurement of concrete. I figure 6-10 bags, John will correct me if I am wrong. Mike W.
2. Procurement of a post hole digger. NOT the manual kind (alone- we will need a couple of these for hole cleanout). Some discussion around the BRDOHV table indicated that a backhoe might be advisable. I did see what looked to be a stout posthole auger machine at Home Depot that is a tow-behind, and I thought it might be adequate. But we will need pikes for rocks, and a backhoe might save the day (and backs). My instinct tells me Uncle Ben would be the subject matter expert here and maybe the go-to guy. OOPS! UB can't do it. Bill (Red Chili) will take care of the auger.
3. Hauling of the kiosk to the site at the lake. John will haul, will need help loading it Friday night.
4. Hauling of water containers for mixing concrete in the hole. Martin's got this one
5. Somebody to point out what I have forgotten.
--->5A. For instance, a generator to run grinders. A very hefty inverter might do. Chris will bring Romer's generator.
--->5B. Vehicle based welder, such as a Redi-Welder, or Mobi-Arc, or such. That failing, oxyacetylene will do. John to arrange to pick up a Redi Welder from LexusBen Thurs. afternoon?
6. Someone to foreman the work crew. As the kiosk is John's design, and he directed the building of it with an eye to installation, I do hope John will do this. Yep, John has this

This will be a tad bit of work in the beginning, but overall, light work, and a BIG fun, relaxing, and productive weekend! Nice way to begin the waning of summer.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.

Last edited by Red_Chili; 08-23-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Just let me know what jobs do not get picked up. I'll take up the slack.

As far as water goes, barrels are considered construction materials and are not allowed in the city of Wheat Ridge. We will need to find another way to haul water up there.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'll be there to help as needed. Looking forward to it.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

I will be there. I will plan to pick-up the concrete
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I'm totally in....all the way! Small backhoe no problem....along with bull bars, manual post hole diggers, whatnot and pulled by a dumptruck.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

SWEET! OK you fellers, I will start putting names to tasks on the first post. And Treeroot, the only slack you will be picking up will be that which weighs less than 5 lbs.

Although driving a trailer might come in handy... 5 gal buckets for water should suffice, from Home Depot or something.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have one of Mikes old 50 gallon barrels with a tap on it that I can fill with water and haul up.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default Dad-gum...dilly-whopper...ho hum.....

Shat! I knew that weekend sounded familiar. While it wasn't on the calendar (thus the reason I piped right up) it should not have had to be. My brother in FLA is getting re-married and I am supposed to be there as kind of a brotherly support thang. I do not want to miss the JK work weekend as it is very important to me plus I have means the club needs to get-r-done smoothly. What do I do now? Anyway of a reschedule? (somehow I have my doubts the bro will change dates....)
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Shat! I knew that weekend sounded familiar. While it wasn't on the calendar (thus the reason I piped right up) it should not have had to be. My brother in FLA is getting re-married and I am supposed to be there as kind of a brotherly support thang. I do not want to miss the JK work weekend as it is very important to me plus I have means the club needs to get-r-done smoothly. What do I do now? Anyway of a reschedule? (somehow I have my doubts the bro will change dates....)
The only other weekend was the 18th and 19th, which would conflict with the TBP. But maybe there are enough people not doing that run that there would be enough?

'85 FJ60
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think it runs the risk of falling apart if we change it... the BRD could barely squeeze it, and so many club members could only make the 25th.

Hey, UB, care to delegate to a worthy stand-in?
KDØRCH
Bio Page