Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default CB/Ham radio question

I need a CB and I see that some people are running Ham radios also. My question is....Is there a quality radio that can do both that is easy for a dummy like me to use?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

keep in mind that for ham, you have to have a license.
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggoner5 View Post
I need a CB and I see that some people are running Ham radios also. My question is....Is there a quality radio that can do both that is easy for a dummy like me to use?
I think the answer is no. I think you can listen to CB channels on some Ham radios, but not transmit. Check out www.qrz.com for the Ham practice tests. First level is Technician. You go to Ham Radio Outlet in Denver to look at gear.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Gary,
The cool thing about the Ham is when I was driving to Moab and passing Grand Junction, I was talking with lexusben in Golden and Groucho about 60 miles behind me.

On Fins, I was talking to folks back in camp.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

What radios do you guys have?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
It's a good question, but I haven't seen a radio that will do both. I now have 2 radios in the 80, and only the CB in the 40. The Ham radio is far more useful, but the CB connects you with the rest of the group.

If it were me, I'd buy a Ham radio for a new rig and use a handheld for CB.

FYI: Next year, it is likely that we will require a radio at Cruise Moab (2008). Either a CB or a Ham radio will qualify.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
What radios do you guys have?
Yaesu FT-7800R

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

The basic one you ned is a 2M. The Licesence allows you to talk on multiple bands, so I got a dual bander. Tim and Chris have the next higher version the 8800 which allows you to use the radio as a repeater. Lots of threads on this.

Here is what I have and where I bought it. If your coming to the Rally Saturday you can check out Mine and others so you can see the different radios and what you can do with them.

Nathanial (Groucho) is our resident expert.

FT-7800R -- Yaesu FT-7800R 2M/70CM Dual Band FM Transceiver. Wide Receive of 108-520MHz and 700-999MHz (Cell Blocked). NOAA Weather Alert. Illuminated keypad & microphone.

K400CNMO -- NMO Deluxe mount. w/6.5' RG-316 Teflon coax & PL259.

SBB-5NMO -- Comet 2M/70cm Mobile Antenna (Black), 3.0/5.5 Gain, 38" Length, NMO Connector

External Speaker ( I currently have it wired but don't use it)

You may need the 10Ft antenna extension cable dependent on where you mount the unit.

http://www.gigaparts.com/radioindex.php

Also go on ebay look up seller W1Jim and buy the Yaesu cables (extension & aux audio extension) for $15. All high quality, 25'- more than enough. This is in place of the $75 extension kit sold elsewhere.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

I don't mind the license part. I can do that. How difficult is that radio to say go go CH 4 on CB frequency? Thanks for the link Matt.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I think technically it's fine to use a HF ham radio on CB as long as you follow the rules (i.e. 5W PEP transmitted power). But you really should be a licensed ham to do that. The gov'ment can cite you for intent to operate illegally if you are not a ham. I dunno the ins and outs of the legal details, so that might be best left as only hearsay.
Thanks Romer for the expert thing. But alas, I am still a student as we all are.

The frequencies allocated for CB (26.965 MHz-Channel 1 thru 27.405 MHz-Channel 40, spaced in anywhere from 10-20 MHz separations) are goverened separately by the FCC. Technically, any radio able to TRANSMIT in those frequencies is supposed to be certified by the FCC for all of the wierd things they look for, like power limits, RF exposure, bandwidth, etc before it is to be used. Some CB Radio operators illegally modify their CB Radio equipment and wander beyond Channel 40 to the bottom edge of the ham 10-meter band. The FCC takes quick action to close down these pirate CB Radio stations. First offenders are typically fined over $1,000 for their "out of band" operation. (This is directly applicable for non-ham licensed operators. Licensed ham operators MAY modify CB radios for use on the 10 meter band without getting into hot water.)

For CB's, You may only use a type-accepted CB Radio transmitter per FCC Laws Part 95, Subpart D. Any internal modification to a type-accepted CB Radio transmitter cancels the type acceptance, and use of such a transmitter voids your authority to operate the station. The same type regulation applies to power amplifiers. Power amplifiers are specifically disallowed for use with a CB Radio. This means you are not technically allowed to make your own CB radio.

Bottom line is that you would be spending money $$$ on a high-test HF/VHF/UHF rig (like the FT-857D ($700) or the Icom IC-7000 ($1200)) not to mention all of the electronics stuff you would have to be capable of doing to modify it to transmit on the CB frequencies otherwise you ruin said rig, and buying all of the external gadgets to make it all work.

We have thought of this question several times and the answers all seem to point us in the direction we all went: Throw out the CB and go strictly ham!. On last months Ghost Town Run, we had 4 hams. We were all jibber jabbin away while the rest of the group wondered if their CB was broken.

Don't fight it. JUst go with it, bra.

Quote:
I don't mind the license part. I can do that. How difficult is that radio to say "go go CH 4" on CB frequency? Thanks for the link Matt.
What do you mean here? Just say it in the mike, I would guess? PLease clarify.

Last edited by Groucho; 08-07-2007 at 07:35 PM.