Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Ski train thread

Well, thought i'd start a thread about thoughts on a Ski train, and i'm not talking about the one to Winter Park. Think it's time we start thinking about a mass transit system to the ski resorts to eliminate some of the congestion on 1-70, as it's only going to get worse.

A costly project it would be, but putting in some kind of speed train to the resorts, I think would pay for it self in only a few seasons. So i'm interested in everyone elses thoughts pros/cons.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

mono rail right up I70.
you think traffics bad now, wait till they start to build it.

how long 10-20 years
Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

More people in Vail means more $$ in my pocket, so I'm for anything that brings people up into the mtns. What skier traffic? I just walk home.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wonder if they could build something elevated? I think it'll be awfully expensive no matter what they do. Especially to go all the way to Vail.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

The problem is the pricing. When this was an issue in front of the voters, they said it would be $30/rider (IIRC) for a round trip. That's a good deal if you're going up by yourself. But I never go up by myself. It's either my family (4) or a bunch of guys (3+). At $90-120, it's no longer as cheap as a tank of gas.

The monorail study was the first and only public transportation bill I have voted against. The local light rail has been a big success.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

A train up I70 would look cool but I don't think enough people would take the time. They'd have to park a car in Denver, transfer to the train, then transfer from the train to a bus unless the destination was Capper or Vail. Skiers are just way too impatient to deal with that. Have you ever driven up Clear Creek Canyon early on a powder day? Its freaking scary. Personally, I think the better transit solution is a stream of inexpensive buses that go directly to the ski resorts. The buses can originate in several locations in the Denver Metro area rather than one train station. And the buses would cost a fraction of the install cost of the train.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln

Last edited by 60wag; 08-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Since a train system would greatly benefit the resorts, they should foot most of the bill. Then include a surcharge to the cost of a lift ticket or season pass and make the train ride "free".

Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I like the idea of the train but didn't think $5 million for a study seemed worth it. We already know I-70's crouded. And yeah waiting many years for it to get built would be tough. It's sad that so many local folks just don't ski anymore, all because they're turned off by the traffic... I like the bus idea.

But what's obvious now is that the traffic isn't just all skiers. EVERY Sunday afternoon is packed on I-70 now, with folks returning to the city from every activity imaginable. But yes, it's worse in the winter.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
It's sad that so many local folks just don't ski anymore, all because they're turned off by the traffic... I like the bus idea.

But what's obvious now is that the traffic isn't just all skiers. EVERY Sunday afternoon is packed on I-70 now, with folks returning to the city from every activity imaginable. But yes, it's worse in the winter.
I am one of those local folks. I used to ski mid week at Berthoud and Geneva Basin and Loveland for $5 half day tickets and miss the crowds. In fact, some days I was the only guy in the cafeteria at Geneva. It rocked, deep powder, big bumps, no lines, minimal traffic.
Those days are obviously toast. It's the traffic, the cost, the lift lines... forget it. Maybe I should move to Wyoming because the biggest problem as I see it is burgeoning population. It will get our trails closed and the only ones left open will require a commitment to get to and a truckload of patience to wait in bumper to bumper every weekend.

Infrastructure is important, but at some point we do have to say "no vacancy".
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

From what I recall, the study of the train cost $50M and the system cost was estimated at $2B (And we all know that any public transportation system cost is underestimated by 100%). To top this, the maximum number of cars it would remove from the roads was 3%. I don't think 3% car reduction on a busy ski weekend is anything to get all sweaty about. Total boondoggle, IMO.

Steve