Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
From what I recall, the study of the train cost $50M and the system cost was estimated at $2B (And we all know that any public transportation system cost is underestimated by 100%). To top this, the maximum number of cars it would remove from the roads was 3%. I don't think 3% car reduction on a busy ski weekend is anything to get all sweaty about. Total boondoggle, IMO.

Steve
Transportation is always a mess. 1% reduction was enough to get that TRex nightmare approved. Like Red Chili I was a Geneva/Loveland skier and have basically given up on skiing due to the traffic. That's saying a lot, I taught skiing through college, dropped out of college to ski for a year, and worked in the ski industry for 14 years.

My only ski days now are on the rare occasion when somebody loans us a condo for a weekend, that way we can drive up on Friday night, ski Saturday and drive home Sunday mid morning.

Here's where the ski train is missing the boat. I looked into it last year, and you can't buy a ticket on the ski train that takes you to Winter Park on Friday night and returns you on Sunday. I'm sure there are some serious infrastructure problems to overcome, but that's my dream. Imagine the weekend package that gets you and the family on the train at 6:30 Friday night, drops you off at the condo - lift tickets waiting, and takes you back to Denver Sunday night. That's a good weekend.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
The problem is the pricing. When this was an issue in front of the voters, they said it would be $30/rider (IIRC) for a round trip. That's a good deal if you're going up by yourself. But I never go up by myself. It's either my family (4) or a bunch of guys (3+). At $90-120, it's no longer as cheap as a tank of gas.
Another way to look at it would be to consider that it will take 10+ years to build it and by that time fuel could likely be costing us $20 gallon.

Also, in another decade or two, there might not BE a ski industry due to lack of snowfall...

Both of these scenarios are very real...

'85 FJ60
Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

There will still be snow in 20 years.. enough to ski on too.

They need to stop wasting(spending) money on studies and just do it.

Will it be a success? who knows but SOMETHING needs to be done. Monorail from DIA to Beaver creek with ski stops at silverthorne, frisco, copper, vail and BC with shuttle service from the stops to the mountain. Also a couple stops in downtown and i70/c470. It would eventually go out to glenwood and aspen too. If it takes a bit longer who cares. I have to leave at 6 to not sit in traffic on a sat. Bond it out 30 years. charge $5-10 a ride to get things going to change peoples attitude toward driving. It's be easy to get on at a stop around lookout. I'd use it.

It needs to be marketed as enviromental and time saving among changing the way people think and use mass transit. The latter being the biggest issue.

Either that or echo park is going to kill it once they start opening some other terrain.
TLCA#4180
Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Then we DON'T need the dang thing!

I am sure gas will be $20/gal. Even given nothing more than inflation!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:21 AM

The train-the mono rail-whatever you call it, it's worthless if it does not allow the option for the riders to drive their own personal vehicle onto it and remove their car when they get up to the mountains. Getting a ride to Loveland Pass does not solve my transportation issues if I want to go camping, skiing somewhere other than a ski area, or hiking away from "the beaten path". Just dumping folks at 15 pre-determined destinations is not going to solve any real issue-just defer them from other options to getting there. Once in the mountains-what do they think, that everyone will catch a cab to the Roan Plateau? or to Leadville? To even study this they need a better understanding of exactly where every car ends up going at this time. No train is going to help me cut through the mountains from Aspen to Crested Butte or from Buena Vista to Gunnison. A mix of train travel with automobile based "offshoots" seems to me the way to go...people like being able to control their own destiny, smoke or fart in their own vehicles and not disturb others. My sons and I have discussed that if train riders could actually ride in their own vehicles -and have restroom facilities available-that would perhaps work. These other pie in the sky "feelgood" solutions sound like good Public Relations for the resorts themselves-but lots of people as we are all saying
have just given up on skiing. People prefer their own vehicles and being able to control their own departure and arrival times hence the situation we all now see.

My biggest beef with all the traffic is why can't we try limited hours for certain types of vehicles-say for example no semis allowed in the left lane on ski mornings until 10am. On Sunday afternoons semis and any vehicle towing anything should be restricted to the right lane only. Give people some incentives to change their travel hours-I70 is a fun drive home on a Monday around 11am, travelling up to Georgetown is a piece of cake middle of the day most any weekday. Reduce the fees for truckers using the I70 corridor in the middle of the night, up the fees for travelling other certain times.

wow that's a quick reply?- not- thanks for reading my rant

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5795132731
Old 08-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Bus idea is a good one. I can catch a bus at Arapahoe HS that takes me straight to the Broncos. Why not a Saturday morning bus that takes me to Copper or Breck?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Rising Sun member

We just need to build a double-decker 6 lane each way stacked interstate. That way when it's snowing hard they can close off the top and have two-way traffic on the underside, and still have 3 lanes each way!

I dunno, it's a hard one. I like the bus idea too, it's cheap and can be implemented pretty much immediately.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Kinda doesn't matter if the snow quits.. the population is still growing and choking I-70. We've all been stuck in gridlock on I-70 in the summer now too.. so if the snow stops falling we'll just ski less and wheel & camp more... still need to get on I-70 to do it.

I like the double-decker idea, worked for the Bay Bridge! Kinda like the park my own truck on a flatbed rail car idea too, that would be super fun, and it makes a lot of sense.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Kinda like the park my own truck on a flatbed rail car idea too, that would be super fun, and it makes a lot of sense.
To me that doesn't make any kind of sense. Fun sure.. The train would have to stretch the whole length of I70 to have any impact on decreased traffic and the logistics and time it takes to drive cars on and off to go an hour down the road makes no sense. The idea of a train or mass transit doesn't apply to those who are using i 70 to go to thier own out of the way place other than you would hopefully be able to get there without gridlock due to mass transit removing cars from the road. The whole I idea is to get mass people from one place to another. It's not intended to work for everyone driving i70. Even in the summer it would be great. Go to the park and ride, get to breck (or whatever ski area) hike, bike, shop, come back on a nice relaxing train where you can doz off.

The bus idea is a convenient short term solution. It won't be fun to ride on a 10" day being stuck on a bus that can't move because it's dumping out stuck behind the same 18 wheeler that didn't think he needed to put chains on.
TLCA#4180
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

You guys are WAY off base here!

Teleportation is the future man...Beam me up Scotty

Until the day you teleport to Telluride and end up with a woman's (or man's for the ladies) body with your noggin attached

On a serious note, I voted against the "study" proposal because I couldn't see spending that much time and $$ for a study and end up with nada at the end (probably).

The problem with this is you need to make it convenient for people to use, at least more convenient than driving themselves correct? Take light rail for instance...Why do people use it during the week? Fairly convenient, inexpensive, avoids the hassle of traffic, avoid cost of parking downtown, etc. But then look at those trains on the weekend...pretty empty unless the Broncos and to some extent the Rockies are playing.

So, transfer this to a mountain train. It doesn't have to be bullet fast but 2x what light rail will do would be cool. The savings will be from not having to sit in traffic right so even if it only did 45-60mph it might be quicker. How do you make the mountain train convenient? It needs be easily accessible, run frequently, be reliable, be safe, and go where YOU want to go, not just where they want to take you.

So, say you offer only one major staging area in town to get on the train. Where do you put that? North? South? East? West? Most folks won't want to drive 30-60mins to the train, spend 30mins lugging stuff to it and loading up, and then however long it takes you to get to the destination and unload. So IMO multiple "stops" would need to be offered with easy parking/walking to the train.

Then, you need trains running on a regular basis. Not everyone wants to get up at the crack of dawn to go skiing or come back at 2 in the afternoon or whatever. Is it feasible to have enough trains that they can depart say every 1/2hr or even more frequent from multiple locations?

Destinations...Obviously Idaho Springs, Georgetown, Loveland, Dillon/Silverthorne, Frisco, Copper Mountain, and Vail are easy. What if you like to ski Winter Park or Keystone or Breck? I think most people would find transferring from a train to busses to be a major hassle but that might work.

Cost? What it worth to people. To me it is worth the cost of gas, parking, and something for the aggravation of driving "savings" but I'm not willing to spend $50 on top of the price for a lift ticket . Make the cost reasonable and you can fill up the trains

I like the idea of being able to load up your vehicle to take it with you but there is no way that would work. It would take forever to load (think about a ferry), would require huge trains, and they would be slower than snot carrying all that weight.

Bottom line for me...If they can build a train station within a 15 minute drive (or longer if it is on the West side heading toward the mountains) from my house, departs at multiple times throughout the day, is comfy, is relatively fast (hour or less ride), can drop me off at Copper Mtn (where I typically ski), and return me back to my car later that night for at most $25 I'm in
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater