Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Then we DON'T need the dang thing!

I am sure gas will be $20/gal. Even given nothing more than inflation!
Exactly, the traffic on I-70 will be dramatically decreased, no trains needed. The Uber-rich can pay the $20 per gallon and enjoy the skiing with no traffic and no crowds because the rest of us simply won't be able to afford it. It's a self-correcting problem.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Don't you all see what a enormous waste of resources your deliberation is?

Up until the first quarter of this century, many of the ski towns you are trying to send this 'behemoth of consumer based enjoyment to all' started off as train stations. Keystone, Breck, Leadville, Buena Vista, Eldora, Vail(Minturn), Beaver Creek(Avon/Edwards), Aspen, Monarch, Silverton Mtn, Winter Park(DUH!) and even Cuchara(Walsenburg/La Veta). These destinations all originated in some shape or form at Denver, with stations running all up and down the line. Many of them would not even be recognized as such because they were ABANDONED due to lack of revenue from, at the time, mining(freight) traffic, mail contracts and THE AUTOMOBILE. Nowhere enough passenger traffic to warrant consideration.

Even those beloved gambling towns of Crpple Creek/ Victor and Blackhawk and Central City fall into this category.

The American consumer does not want to be trapped away from their freedom to ride all over the state. To selfish and to self absorbed to do anything but.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The American consumer does not want to be trapped away from their freedom to ride all over the state. To selfish and to self absorbed to do anything but.
This pretty much sums it up. Especially the destination skier.

Lets face it, skiing is not a poor man's (or woman's) sport. The affluent tourists have no interest in riding public transportation. Which is too bad as they are probably to ones most equipped to handle a train. You get off the plane and your stuff is already packed. If you got on the train at the airport it would be as simple as catching a connection. Hell with some ambition the airlines could even transfer your luggage. Get off in Frisco, Vail where ever and rent a car if need be.

For the front ranger it just comes down to cost and Convenience. The latter more when you arrive. Keystone, Breck, and the Basin all know this. The resorts with the most to gain are on the I-70 corridor. Who wants to load up 1-3 kids with gear onto a train in Denver. Just to get off and do the same onto a bus to get to Breck? As others have mentioned buses from Denver make more sense.

Personally I don't think there is a good solution to the traffic problem. Well other than living here in the first place
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

First time getting out this season... I'm a WP/MJ rider. I can't take the rest of the ride on 70 anymore. Next year i'm going down 285....

I leave at 6 to beat traffic and ski til noon (hard) and bolt back.

This morning was a NIGHTMARE. 70 was HEAVY traffic and It was a Frickin nascar race on I70. I though i was at darlington. People dodging, weaving, FOLLOWING WAY too close (aka drafting )

This all came to a head a 100 yards down floyd hill. BAM. The car in front of me is trying to avoid piling it into the 2 suv's that did just that. Steam and parts everywhere. During this fun ride to the hills and the insanity I was extra careful to have PROPER following distance and it paid off. I hoped the guy behind me had enough room and luckily he did but I think it was only my distance that helped him. Get to the bottom and the GD yahoo's merging from 6 about Tag my ass again.

Seriously you will get there and there is plenty of snow for everyone. Slow the fawk down.

The only good news was that I got a nice 15 min or so rest and a great view watching cdot use the howitzer and rocket Berthod for avi's. Nothing slid and I had a good day in the trees.

Ride back... very uneventful and hardly any traffic.

I haven't been this nervous driving probably ever. The insanity of this 4 lane highway in the morning was UNBELIEVABLE.

Sorry for the
TLCA#4180
Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Lifted

I leave at 6:20 on Sundays and ski hard, usually 20-25 runs and leave around 1. there is not really anyone on the road that early at either times. one of the biggest problems I find is the semi trucks. traffic is backed up a ways to pass the trucks. when the roads are congested this traffic just worsens. but then i really only ski Loveland and the Basin so i don't drive the hill to the tunnel.

MACINNES CLAN
Well we allready got one (holy grail)
I fart in your general direction
SEAN JONES KD0DHU

Fighting fire in the last frontier.