Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 08-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default MOAB!! Yikes!

BLUERIBBON COALITION LAND USE ADVISORY Greetings BRC members,
New Moab Plan Available
The BLM's Moab Field Office has released their Draft Resource Management Plan (DRMP) and Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS). The combined document is available for download at: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/planning.html.
BLM is taking comment until November 30, 2007. Stay tuned for regular email updates and BRC's thorough analysis of the new plan.
Ric Foster
Public Lands Dept. Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

I am noticing all around the country, with the OHV rule in particular, tens of thousands of miles of trails and roads are proposed for closure. Without a doubt we need to sharpen our letter writing pencils and hammer on our typewriters like never before, this thing is taking us on with a VENGEANCE!
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Haven't read it yet but I downloaded the pdf.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

uhhh...I have a question.....what's a typewriter??

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I am noticing all around the country, with the OHV rule in particular, tens of thousands of miles of trails and roads are proposed for closure. Without a doubt we need to sharpen our letter writing pencils and hammer on our typewriters like never before, this thing is taking us on with a VENGEANCE!
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 08-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I did a precursory perusal of the document and none of the alternatives sounds as bad as you might initially think. The "closures" are mostly areas that will have existing routes re-named as "designated routes" instead of an entire area being "open" to cross-country/off-trail travel. This is the same philosophy our club adheres to with "stay on the Trail" and "Tread Lightly".

I plan on digging deeper when time allows and will definitely be writing a letter.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN View Post
I did a precursory perusal of the document and none of the alternatives sounds as bad as you might initially think. The "closures" are mostly areas that will have existing routes re-named as "designated routes" instead of an entire area being "open" to cross-country/off-trail travel. This is the same philosophy our club adheres to with "stay on the Trail" and "Tread Lightly".

I plan on digging deeper when time allows and will definitely be writing a letter.
I too oppose cross-country travel, but this approach adopted black and white kills desert motorcycle racing, for instance, and you can say goodbye to sand play as well - such as the sand dunes enjoyed by our club. So there are unintended (or intended?) consequences to a broad, no loopholes policy.

But regards losing tens of thousands of miles of routes nationally, that is no exaggeration: in New Mexico, for instance, the Coconino National Forest stretches over 1.8 million acres of forested lands. Currently, there are thousands of miles of road and hundreds of miles of trail that are being used by folks from all over Arizona. These trail miles are being reduced to 25.5 miles. To close all trails but a paltry 25.5 miles is an outrage. All as a result of the OHV Rule, which seems to be being interpreted as an opportunity to close OHV routes rather than inventory them.

It is happening in Taylor Park. In the Gunnison. Right in our backyard.

If we snooze, if we say "oh, well, I don't visit there" or "I don't ride a motorcycle/don't ride an ATV/ don't like 'em anyway", or "it's probably for the best environmentally", we will lose our favorite routes.

The land manager's motivation is to get the routes - with their cost and controversy - off his/her books. Without having to inventory them, as mandated, because they have no funds to do so.

Lose lose. We lose.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

More info...
Moab BLM's website is pretty easy to navigate. Check http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/planning.html for the complete Draft RMP and Draft EIS as well as all the background documents.
Comments may be submitted electronically at: UT_Moab_Comments@blm.gov. Comments may also be submitted by mail to: Moab Field Office RMP Comments, Bureau of Land Management, Moab Field Office, 82 East Dogwood, Moab, Utah 84532. To facilitate analysis of comments and information submitted, we strongly encourage you to submit comments in an electronic format.
NOTE:
Please do not send the overworked and underpaid BRC staff emails complaining that the maps are un-readable. We know. If you contact the BLM regarding this, please be polite. We are working with Moab BLM to find a solution.

Brief Description of an EIS
Chapter 1 is the Purpose and Need, where BLM is supposed to define specific areas where management needs to be changed. Chapter 1 also describes the Planning Issues and Planning Criteria.

Chapter 2 is a detailed description of the Alternatives.
Chapter 3 is the Affected Environment section where the agency described the current condition and existing management.
Chapter 4 is the environmental analysis.
Chapter 5 describes the public involvement, consultation and coordination.
Key Sections of the Document:
It will be helpful to review the Dear Reader letter and the Executive Summary. The Executive Summary is worth review and gives a brief description of the "theme" of the Alternatives, but it won't give you much detail.

Chapter 2 describes the Alternatives and includes the "matrix" (pages 2-7 through 2-56). The matrix is a comparison of how each Alternative addresses the key issues. Important sections include "Recreation" (pages 2-17 through 2-20) and "Travel Management" (pages 2-48 through 2-50). This will be a lot easier to understand if you print and reference maps 2-8 A through D as well as 2-9 B through D. (Don't miss the description of how BLM addressed SUWA's "Red Rock Heritage Travel Plan Alternative" on page 2-107.)
Also important are the Recreation Rules in Appendix E, where you will find the Moab BLM's policy on Dispersed Camping and other activities.
Appendix G is the explanation of how the Moab BLM developed the Travel Plan. It will help if you can print and reference the following maps:
Maps 2-10 A through D
Maps 2-11 B through E
Maps 2-11-F B through D

The very brave will want to view Appendix F, the Special Recreation Management Areas (SRMA). But making sense of all of the various "overlays" isn't for the faint of heart!
Appendix F is a critical section. But the way the BLM is managing the SRMA's is unnecessarily confusing. Pay close attention! You'll need to fully understand the difference between Physical and Administrative management zones (Primitive, Back Country, Middle Country, Front County and Rural), Goals, Settings and Outcomes. The final step is to overlay all of that with the travel management program and see if it makes any sense at all. Again, you'll need maps 2-8 A through D.
Advanced level Access Advocates may want to review the "lands with wilderness character" and Areas of Critical Environmental Concern sections. (Chapter 2, pages
2-16 through 2-17, Appendix P and Maps 2-24 B and C for lands with wilderness character. ACEC's are on pages 2-33 through 2-39. Reference maps 2-14 A through C.)

Long time BRC members probably just felt a chill down their spines. The "lands with wilderness character" business is the legacy of Bruce Babbitt and his illegal effort to double the amount of Wilderness Study Areas in Utah. It's a long story, and we'll post details on our Moab Update webpage soon. But it is a key problem for recreation, and not just for motorized recreation. This is because some recent BLM plans require the agency to "enhance" wilderness character, instead of say, "maintain" or "protect against significant impacts." What this means is that eventually, these lands will be managed as Wilderness.
De-facto Wilderness. Nice....
That's why BRC and other multiple use stakeholders oppose this designation altogether. Let me be perfectly clear. Congress gave very specific instructions to the BLM regarding Wilderness. Those instructions are contained in Section 603 of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA). Congress instructed the agency to inventory all of their lands, identify which were definitely not of wilderness quality and then to begin an intensive inventory and analysis to determine which of the remaining lands would be recommended for inclusion into the National Wilderness Preservation System.
The process was completed in 1991. All stakeholders (including Wilderness Advocacy Groups) have exhausted the protest and appeal options. After 10 years the "603 Process" left Utah with approximately 3.2 million acres designated as Wilderness Study Areas. Of those, approximately 1.9 million acres were deemed "suitable and manageable" and were recommended to Congress for Wilderness designation. Section 603 requires the BLM to manage WSAs in such a manner so as to not impair the suitability of such areas for inclusion in the National Wilderness Preservation System, subject to existing uses.
There is no justification, no legal mandate and no process requirement for engaging in an ongoing, never ending wilderness inventory and review. The question of which lands should be included in the National Wilderness Preservation System is now between Congress and the American People. Other than the management of existing WSAs, the BLM should have no part in this issue. To do so is a tragic loss of management resources.
IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT MAKING COMMENTS:
Your comments on the Alternatives are extremely important. But the BLM is saying comments containing only opinion or preferences will be considered and included as part of the decision making process, but they will not receive a formal response from the BLM.
Comments will be most helpful if you can state specifically what you like and what you don't like about each of the Alternatives. Suggest changes and be specific. Include information, sources, or methodologies if possible. Also, it is good if you can reference a section or page number.
BLM is also encouraging feedback concerning the adequacy and accuracy of the four proposed alternatives, the analysis of their respective management decisions, and any new information that would help the BLM produce a Proposed Plan.
Comments may be submitted electronically to: UT_Moab_Comments@blm.gov. Comments may also be submitted by mail to: Moab Field Office RMP Comments, Bureau of Land Management, Moab Field Office, 82 East Dogwood, Moab, Utah 84532. To facilitate analysis of comments and information submitted, we strongly encourage you to submit comments in an electronic format.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default ......beep....

Another blip....don't ignor this.....it's just like your right to vote!

The Moab Draft Resource Management Plan (DRMP) is now available!

This document will determine how motorized recreation is managed in Moab for the next 15-20 years. Closures to cross-country travel areas and some existing routes are recommended in most of the alternatives. BRC, USA-ALL, U4WDA, RR4W and others are working on analyses of the DRMP, and more specific information will be available soon.

The comment period extends through November 30th. There are also 4 public meetings. Moab on 9/25, Monticello on 9/26, Grand Junction on 9/27 and Salt Lake City on 10/3. It is important that the motorized recreation community makes a strong showing with both comments and attendance at these meetings (full schedule and details available at http://www.usaall.org/moab).

Mail comments to:

Bureau of Land Management

Moab Field Office

RMP Comments

82 East Dogwood

Moab, UT 84532

435-259-2100

Email comments to:

UT_Moab_Comments@blm.gov

To view the full DRMP, visit:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...t_rmp_eia.html

For more information, visit:

http://www.usaall.org/moab
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default More info! This will not be a minor land use adjustment folks...

BLUERIBBON COALITION LANDUSE UPDATE! Dear Moab Partner,
A couple of recent news reports and "op-eds" about the Moab RMP and Travel Plan appeared recently in the Utah media and it motivated me to send out a quick email update.
There is a lot of talk about whether or not the Moab BLM will extend the November 30, 2007, comment period, and both the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune responded to a Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance media release.
See:
Study period: BLM should allow more time to review Moab plan
http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_7129206

More comment time sought on Moab plan
Critics say OHV proposal doesn't go far enough
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695212955,00.html

Interestingly, BRC was contacted by the Tribune's editorial board confirming whether or not BRC had requested an extension. They said they had been told we had done so.
In fact, we have not. And the reason is because of you! Because of our Moab Partners we were geared up and ready for this one no matter what the deadline was.

QUICK MOAB PARTNER UPDATE:
Our review of the DEIS is almost complete. We are also getting information from key stakeholders such as Ber Knight, from the Red Rock Four Wheelers, as well as other key individuals and groups.
Speaking of that, BRC wants to send a special thanks to Utah Four Wheel Drive Association for getting info out . Many thanks also to Clif Koontz and Dale Parriott from RwR and Elite Motorcycle Adventures respectively. Koontz and Parriott have made many excellent suggestions and it's awesome to see such enthusiastic local involvement.
Our goal is to have our review of the DEIS finished by October 17, 2007. It will take a couple of days then to formulate a BRC Moab Action Alert using that review. That would give us just enough time, even if the deadline is not extended, to get the word out to our members and get comments into the BLM.
We are going to have to rely on our Moab Partners to help get our Moab Action Alert out to interested folks. So.... please forward our Moab Action Alert to as many interested folks as you can.

SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM BRC'S PUBLIC LANDS GUYS:
We want to (again) express our gratitude to you folks. The Moab Partner program took in $28,899.27 to date. AWESOME!!
Now, this is far short of our budget of $90,000. But, it was enough to hire two biologists to review the analysis as well as to pay for a full legal review of the entire document.

A BIT OF INSIDE BASEBALL FOR OUR MOAB PARTNERS:

Our priority is review of the specific language contained in the plan. My favorite example is where the Moab BLM says campsites may (will) be closed when impacts become "obtrusive." Of course, the term "obtrusive" does not occur in any of the BLM's planning regulations. BRC gives the Moab BLM credit for having the chutzpah to attempt to define the term in their document, however. Moab BLM says "obtrusive" can refer to "any or all of the following problems: human sanitation, trash, hacked trees, trampled vegetation and fire danger from excessive campfires."

I want to know how in the world anyone could pitch a tent and enjoy a desert evening sunset without trampling some vegetation??? Unbelievable. I could go on and on because this sort of thing is prevalent throughout the document, but I hope you understand how dangerous such language can be.
Because of our fundraising shortfall, we cannot afford at this time to review soils and vegetation data. BRC hopes to do additional fundraising in the coming weeks, but we are considering "deficit spending" if our DEIS review indicates it is needed.
As far as the additional fundraising needs goes, BRC is considering a Club/Organization/Business level for the Moab Partnership. This was a controversial idea because nobody at BRC wanted to diminish or "cheapen" the commitment our Moab Partners have already made. That is why our Club/Organization/Business level will be at a $1,200.00 yearly enrollment.
That's going to be pretty expensive for some clubs that would like to join. But your willingness to join at the full-boat $120.00 yearly level early on, before the DEIS was released, enabled us to really jump into this plan. There is no way we are going to diminish or cheapen that commitment by offering a discounted rate.
If you have any comments about the Club/Organization/Business level, or ideas that would help BRC fully fund our Moab effort, please let me or Ric Foster know.

A BIT ON WHAT KIND OF COMMENTS NEED TO BE MADE:
I noted a couple of OHV Internet bulletin board posts that suggested a "vote" for Alternative D. I want to caution about that sort of comment. DON'T DO IT!
The Moab BLM has (way too) cleverly formulated Alt B (green) and alt D (not as green) so that neither is a viable alternative. Add to that the Moab BLM's preferred Alt C contains many serious problems and one or two fatal flaws. This makes public comments that ONLY express a preference for an Alternative totally ineffective.
I will also add that this DEIS is actually two plans; an RMP and a Travel Plan. There is no doubt that Alt D's Travel Plan is preferable, but the Alt D's RMP is totally unworkable. Thus the need to avoid the "I vote for Alternative X" type of comment.

STILL MORE UPDATE INFO:
Many folks have emailed wanting to know if there is anything they can do now to help BRC with this effort.
YES!
If you recreate in Moab, we would ask you to take a look at just a few sections of the DEIS and let us know your reaction. Below is a section from BRC's previous alert that will help you find the important parts of the BLM's documents.
If you have time, it would be great if you could take a few minutes and review the information and then send Ric and Brian your thoughts/concerns/ideas.
Thanks again for you involvement and your generous financial support. As always, please call or email with questions or concerns.
Brian Hawthorne
Ric Foster
BlueRibbon Coalition

Office Number (208) 237-1008 EXT 107
Brian's email
brbrian@sharetrails.org
Ric's email
brrichard@sharetrails.org
Moab BLM'S Draft Resource Management Plan
and Draft Environmental Impact Statement
AT A GLANCE:
Moab BLM's website is pretty easy to navigate. Check http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/planning.htmlfor the complete Draft RMP and Draft EIS as well as all the background documents.
Comments may be submitted electronically at: UT_Moab_Comments@blm.gov. Comments may also be submitted by mail to: Moab Field Office RMP Comments, Bureau of Land Management, Moab Field Office, 82 East Dogwood, Moab, Utah 84532. To facilitate analysis of comments and information submitted, we strongly encourage you to submit comments in an electronic format.
Brief Description of an EIS
Chapter 1 is the Purpose and Need, where BLM is supposed to define specific areas where management needs to be changed. Chapter 1 also describes the Planning Issues and Planning Criteria.

Chapter 2 is a detailed description of the Alternatives.
Chapter 3 is the Affected Environment section where the agency described the current condition and existing management.
Chapter 4 is the environmental analysis.
Chapter 5 describes the public involvement, consultation and coordination.
Key Sections of the Document:
It will be helpful to review the Dear Reader
letter and the Executive Summary. The Executive Summary is worth review and gives a brief description of the "theme" of the Alternatives, but it won't give you much detail.
Chapter 2 describes the Alternatives and includes the "matrix" (pages 2-7 through 2-56). The matrix is a comparison of how each Alternative addresses the key issues. Important sections include "Recreation" (pages 2-17 through 2-20) and "Travel Management" (pages 2-48 through 2-50). This will be a lot easier to understand if you print and reference maps 2-8 A through D as well as 2-9 B through D. (Don't miss the description of how BLM addressed SUWA's "Red Rock Heritage Travel Plan Alternative" on page 2-107.)
Also important are the Recreation Rules in Appendix E, where you will find the Moab BLM's policy on Dispersed Camping and other activities.
Appendix G is the explanation of how the Moab BLM developed the Travel Plan. It will help if you can print and reference the following maps:
Maps 2-10 A through D
Maps 2-11 B through E
Maps 2-11-F B through D

The very brave will want to view Appendix F, the Special Recreation Management Areas (SRMA). But making sense of all of the various "overlays" isn't for the faint of heart!
Appendix F is a critical section. But the way the BLM is managing the SRMAs is unnecessarily confusing. Pay close attention! You'll need to fully understand the difference between Physical and Administrative management zones (Primitive, Back Country, Middle Country, Front County and Rural), Goals, Settings and Outcomes. The final step is to overlay all of that with the travel management program and see if it makes any sense at all. Again, you'll need maps 2-8 A through D.
Advanced level Access Advocates may want to review the "lands with wilderness character" and Areas of Critical Environmental Concern sections. (Chapter 2, pages 2-16 through 2-17, Appendix P and Maps 2-24 B and C for lands with wilderness character. ACECs are on pages 2-33 through 2-39. Reference maps 2-14 A through C.)
IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT MAKING COMMENTS:
Comments will be most helpful if you can state specifically what you like and what you don't like about each of the Alternatives. Suggest changes and be specific. Include information, sources, or methodologies if possible. Also, it is good if you can reference a section or page number.
BLM is also encouraging feedback concerning the adequacy and accuracy of the four proposed alternatives, the analysis of their respective management decisions, and any new information that would help the BLM produce a Proposed Plan.
Comments may be submitted electronically to: UT_Moab_Comments@blm.gov. Comments may also be submitted by mail to: Moab Field Office RMP Comments, Bureau of Land Management, Moab Field Office, 82 East Dogwood, Moab, Utah 84532. To facilitate analysis of comments and information submitted, we strongly encourage you to submit comments in an electronic format.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 11-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Here is an important summary of information so far, with analysis, and a request for more information:
http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/P...ent_Survey.pdf

Of course, this was sent to any who donated as Moab Partners by giving just a bit of pocket change to the effort via the Blue Ribbon Coalition, so most of you already know about it... RIGHT??

If you don't, please visit www.sharetrails.org to donate!

I frankly don't feel 'expert' enough about the issues raised to advise. So your input is requested!

KDěRCH
Bio Page