Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Rising Sun member

It's probably just over a 1/2 hour from the north end of Santa Fe, say where Cerillos and 285 cross. You go up 285 to 502, head west towards Los Alamos. Take the turn off on Hwy 4 toward White Rock, and at the first stoplight (Hwy 501, E. Jemez Road) you will see a pulloff on the left hand side. It's $12/day or $30/year for a Bandelier National Monument permit, which you need in order to park at the pulloff. The main part of the Monument is a few miles past White Rock, but they sell permits at this location, about 50 yards in from the road.

This trail is about 1 1/2 miles and took us about 1 1/2 hours, and we took it pretty easy. There are about 3 or 4 ladders you have to climb (depending on which way you go) BTW.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Rising Sun member

Been doing some mountain biking...and to make Dave feel better about his skis here's my mountain bike

-2000 Gary Fisher Kaitai
-Shimano LX v-brakes
-Shimano SLX bottom bracket
-Shimano LX rear derailleur
-Shimano Deore front derailleur
-Panaracer Smoke Classic rear tire (26x2.1)
-Continental Vertical front tire (26x2.3)

Nothing fancy but it gets me down the trail. Tonight I did the Perimeter Trail and the Mitchell Trail. The Perimeter Trail is I guess akin to the Rubicon of 4 wheel drive trails. It just keeps coming at you. It's not a steep grinding trail like the trails around Golden, but it is just rocks and rocks and rocks and roots and more rocks to ride up, over, and around. The Mitchell Trail is just steep, steep, steep with loose rocks. I'm finding that the trails around here aren't exactly designed for mountain biking; for example the switchbacks are way too sharp and steep to ride; in some cases I'm not even sure one could do a track stand jump-turn one most of these turns.

But then I started getting a flat And I didn't remember to put my pump in my pack, so I had to walk most of the way back home
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Rising Sun member

last couple.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Been doing some mountain biking...and to make Dave feel better about his skis here's my mountain bike

-2000 Gary Fisher Kaitai
-Shimano LX v-brakes
-Shimano SLX bottom bracket
-Shimano LX rear derailleur
-Shimano Deore front derailleur
-Panaracer Smoke Classic rear tire (26x2.1)
-Continental Vertical front tire (26x2.3)

Nothing fancy but it gets me down the trail. Tonight I did the Perimeter Trail and the Mitchell Trail. The Perimeter Trail is I guess akin to the Rubicon of 4 wheel drive trails. It just keeps coming at you. It's not a steep grinding trail like the trails around Golden, but it is just rocks and rocks and rocks and roots and more rocks to ride up, over, and around. The Mitchell Trail is just steep, steep, steep with loose rocks. I'm finding that the trails around here aren't exactly designed for mountain biking; for example the switchbacks are way too sharp and steep to ride; in some cases I'm not even sure one could do a track stand jump-turn one most of these turns.

But then I started getting a flat And I didn't remember to put my pump in my pack, so I had to walk most of the way back home
Sorry, but i'm a Race Face and Sram kinda guy, guess that's what I get for riding a Kona. Glad to see you making the best of it down there Matt. Need to PM you about my summer project and see if you can join me on some outings.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Rising Sun member

definitely Perry, let me know
Rising Sun Bio
Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

You are in The Burn!!!

I went down there the summer of 2000, my start got delayed due to the fire.

I can hear you getting sucked in Matt, you will be ruined for city life after this!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Rising Sun member

nope, I'm counting the days until I can get out of here. Anyway, my college days in Golden ruined me for city life already...
Rising Sun Bio
Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Rising Sun member

Today I had the most fun I've had since I got here...the pics should tell the story. It started off with a package of fun rolling down the road on Sunday...
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun member

We just did some forest roads to the north/east of Los Alamos, but the Jemez mountains opened last week, so in short order I'm going to be getting up there...

All in all today we rode about 35 miles, about 1:45 of riding, and averaging just over 20mph. All for about $2 worth of gas I love this dirtbike. It's probably the most fun thing I have ever bought.

Saw some more cool rock formations today too...
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bbbrrrrpppp!!!!!!