Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looks like a blast man. The truck and bike look nice all ready to go.. you even got the KTM straps.

I miss my old CR.

maybe someday i'll get another. Hey, you might be counting the days done there, but at least you are able to have a little fun
82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 05-11-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

We will be iin Chaco Sept. 29 thru 10/03 hiking the ruins and driving to the more remote ruins if anyone wants to join us. If you never been to Chaco and enjoy history this is the place.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Bbbrrrrpppp!!!!!!
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
.. you even got the KTM straps.
Yeah, KTM was putting on a promotion when my dad and I bought our bikes that added about $1200 worth of extra gear to the package for free. The 5 gal fuel can, KTM straps, FMF silencer, a spare set of tires, bark busters, skid plate, fork breathers, new radiator shrouds, special decals, and some miscellaneous fluids. Not a bad deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
We will be iin Chaco Sept. 29 thru 10/03 hiking the ruins and driving to the more remote ruins if anyone wants to join us. If you never been to Chaco and enjoy history this is the place.
I probably won't be down here then (I'm supposed to be done at the end of September but I may be done in June), but I am going to try to head to Chaco if I get a chance sometime this summer...

Anyway, here are some more pictures from today's exploration ride: I headed up road 442 into the burn area...

...I found something they have here is more single track for dirtbikes, so I found some of that which took me for a little ways and was super fun...but it ended in a steep rocky downhill (pictured) that I might have been able to ride down a ways but probably couldn't ride back up, so I turned around and continued into Guaje Canyon...
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Rising Sun member

At the bottom of Guaje Canyon the trail narrowed down really tight and came to a notch canyon that was pretty cool, so I had to take some pictures. The trail ended up following the creek bed for about 100 yards too, which made for interesting riding...

...after that I went back on some of the roads we did yesterday and explored around some more. This kind of stuff really helps take care of the explorer in me that wants to get out there. Oh and BTW yesterday's ride cost me $2.30 in gasoline

I will probably go tomorrow too and explore some more.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

the poor kai tai won't see much time now.. sweet bike matt!
TLCA#4180
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
the poor kai tai won't see much time now.. sweet bike matt!
Yeah it's sitting in the kitchen with a flat tire...

Thanks
Rising Sun Bio
Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Rising Sun member

Thought I'd add some more pictures...been doing a lot of dirtbiking - put about 25 hours and a little over 600 miles on my bike since I've been down here...

...this first set is when I did an 88 mile ride after work. I took Hwy 4 west to 126, then took Forest Road 144 along the west side of the Caldera Preserve, and then headed north on 453 and 316 to Coyote. The first two are pictures of the terrain dropping into Coyote and the 3rd is just a rock formation along road 144.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Rising Sun member

This next set is from a 102 mile ride (I hit the reserve tank at 97 miles - now I know ). I took 144 again, but this time I skirted the west side of the Caldera and then continued on 144 along the north side. The first picture is just a picture of a high point on the north side of the Caldera. The second one is looking north down a valley off of FR 99, which contains a National Recreation Trail. So I guess it's pretty down there, will have to check that out sometime.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Rising Sun member

A couple days ago I gave the bike a break and took the Tundra up FR 376 to San Antonio Hot Springs. I think it's supposed to be the best hot springs in the area...the guy in the foreground has taken it upon himself to do the upkeep of the springs...interesting guy. This springs is only an hour from Los Alamos, including a 1/2 hour on a pretty rough forest road.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 06-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Rising Sun member

Yesterday I took the rental car to check out another hot springs, Spence Hot Springs. It's ok, but not as good. Luckily there were no naked hippies (I'm not into that stuff), but even then the springs was a little grungy...this is just north of Jemez Springs off of Hwy 4.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio