Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looks great man!!!!

Glad you got out and enjoyed some private time since your work has to be insanely busy this time of year.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

So, I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I am going to start on building up the interior of the trailer and finish all its bells and whistles this spring.

First up is a slide out kitchen. I was wondering what you guys would add or include if it were you. I am really trying to do it once, do it right.

My biggest delima right now is what to skin the counter top with. I am debating between a stainless top or some polyethylene (think cutting board material). I like the non bacteria forming surfaces, but the PE would be uber easy to work with... perhaps I could find it in black too... any how, here is what I am thinking, I'd love to hear what you'd add, or take away- just don't count on me doing it

below is cut and pasted from my thread on mud...

Lets start talking Kitchen!
I hope to be fully up and running with the interior of the trailer completed before this wheeling season is up and running.

I plan on having two slide out drawers, one with a kitchen mounted, the other for storage and organization.

Here is my rough plan:

Drivers side:

Slide out kitchen mounted on 48" drawer slides.
Kitchen will house: Stove, Sink, Faucet, Counter space, fire putter-outter , utensil storage, mount for a lantern on a pole... work space, lots of workspace!

Above it (hard mounted inside the traile will be bedding and other soft items typically accessed once we first set up camp, chairs, pillows, lanterns, awning etc.

Passenger Side:

Full depth storage box (think Drifta) that will mount on 48" slides and be accessable with the kitchen deployed.

Drawer will Store: Food, cookware, bulkier items, most all other camping supplies.

I don't have a scanner anymore so my sketches will need to wait before the big "reveal"

My slides show up this week and I will start knocking it out then. I think I have everything else ready to go. Stay tuned.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

So I have decided on a design, thanks for all the imput everyone. My biggest missing link was deciding on whether or not the $$$$ involved in heavy duty drawer slides was worth it or not. Well, I was surfing on Ebay the other day and found a supplier getting rid of HUGE 48" full extension drawer slides, for $30 bucks a pair! I couldn't go wrong, so I ordered two sets and they arrived this week. I am stoked- they are not as nice as some of the accuride models but they are amazingly beefy for my needs!

Here is a rough sketch of what I plan on doing for the slide out kitchen. I will have a sink, faucet, stove, cutting board, extendable shelf, storage for pots, storage for utensils and other items too.

I plan on using polyethlene (cutting board material) to create the entire counter top/work space. It is anti-bacteria absorbing, easy to clean, sanitary, stable and easily worked with my tools. I will pick up the sheet I need early this week and start the build.

I am going to do one of two things with the sink (craigslist $15 find! ). I will either cut out the existing holes and reweld the edge of the sink back on making a square mounting surface, or I will open up the 3 holes into one elongated rectangle and fill it with a "pocket" that can store towels, soap, dish brushes, tooth paste, things like that.

I will have one counter accesable hatch that will store the pots and pans and other things that will fit, maybe some plates and the coffee press.

The stove is a cheap-o Coleman, that I can find replacement parts anywhere in the country. It will be bolted down to a slide out underneath the counter and will house its own slide out shelf for all the things we seem to keep out while cooking If I have learned anything about using my trailer it is that EVERY horizontal space in the trailer is usually in "use" before we depart from camp. I may still make a fold over counter like 24hours mentioned, but I feel like this is creating the space I have been longing for. That in combination with a fold out table, and I should be all set... for now

The kitchen slide out will be roughly 14" tall, leaving me at least enough room for 2-3 four inch tall drawers for storage.

Overall, I think it will be really nice. I am going to build the kitchen first then I will know exactly what is needed inside the trailer to make it work dimensionally.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

I am in complete envy of your trailer. But I have one question. Why the cheapo stove. I understand parts should be easy to find but coleman will likely change its design in the future making replacing it more difficult if your design limits future options. Why not go with a Partner Steel stove following your do it once/right plan? I don't know if they have ever changed the design of that stove. Parts should be easy to source too.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I am in complete envy of your trailer. But I have one question. Why the cheapo stove. I understand parts should be easy to find but coleman will likely change its design in the future making replacing it more difficult if your design limits future options. Why not go with a Partner Steel stove following your do it once/right plan? I don't know if they have ever changed the design of that stove. Parts should be easy to source too.
Great question... simple answer. Coleman= $50 bucks, the Partner= $300. Both do the same thing, and the Coleman is dimensionally larger so if I ever decide to swap out and upgrade, most other stoves will fit... including the Partner It has boiled water and cooked my food just fine for a few years already, so no need to replace it in my opinion.

That extra $250 in the stove alone will pay for a long weekend of fine camping

Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

fair enough
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

love it.. for counter top surface id go with the white plastic cutting board material nice, clean, easy to cut to thesize you need with out specisal tools. and u have a cutting board on the trail