Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default OHV Area in Utah to be closed

This doesn't sound good. Here's the link.

SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No.40 - Oct 04, 2007

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO CLOSE 100,000 ACRES TO OHV USE IN UTAH

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has announced the closure of approximately 100,000 acres in the Indian Creek Corridor of San Juan County, Utah. While OHV use will be permitted on existing roads and trails, all “cross-country” OHV activity within the designated area is prohibited. This closure will remain in effect until the BLM completes a review of its existing management plan for OHV use in San Juan County.

Large-scale public land closures are consequential to SEMA members as they deny access to off-roaders and the equipment that they purchase for off-road use. SEMA has worked with the other land access groups on reasonable land use policies that protect motorized recreation and our nation’s natural wonders. Details: Jason Tolleson at jasont@sema.org.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

While permitting travel on existing roads and trails sounds fair enough, there are many areas where cross country travel are entirely appropriate. For instance, sand washes, sand dunes, and the like. This kills such use - not to mention desert racing, which will be exported (and already has) due to NIMBYism.

Reminds me of the export of high polluting industries which cannot affordably comply with sudden regulation with no assistance ('corporate welfare' to those less business friendly) and no grace period. Fine, let the brown/yellow people have the nasty stuff, it would seem. Environmental racism? A 'victory' if it isn't in my back yard?

Narrow vision IMHO. One size fits all regulation, government is good at that.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 AM

Boy I'll get slammed for this comment but I don't think it is a terrible as it sounds. I remember a Moab without ATVs and all the spur trails and torn up hills. That whole Kane Creek area has been trashed in just the last 10 years. Every single hill has been torn up. It didn't used to be that way and I'm saddened by it. Not that I'm defending a blanket policy that will definitely affect other areas, but sometimes I thinks folks behavior is what causes these rash policy changes. Here in Idaho we had a situation where folks were jumping motorcycles over the highway. Definitely an unsafe situation and what did it do? It got the whole dang area closed down. I feel badly for the folks that used that area but I also understand the other side of the fence too. If people would just use some common sense there wouldn't have to be these rash backlashes in policies.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

No slam, you're not wrong. But that isn't even needed to close an area these days!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Anyone have a map of the area? There was nothing at the article link. Where we just were in the Henry Mountains there was some open travel area - still rare and planned to be closed also. Tough issue.